Large Multisite Setup Questions

Hello,

We are getting ready to launch a Direct Sales Home Party division of our company.

We have decided to use WordPress Multisite to provide our Independent Instructors with replicated sites.

I have been trying to work out the best way to set things up... and would love any direction or advice you could provide.

Below is a rundown of where we're at right now in our thought process.

Use Case:

Individuals who want to become instructors will signup via a Gravity Form on our Parent Site.

Submitting the form will initiate a new site to be replicated automatically for the instructor that just signed up.

From a customers point of view... each replicated site needs to look exactly the same, with one exception.

Each replicated site will have the instructors name, ID#, and contact info in the top bar of each page to let the customer know which instructor the replicated site they are on belongs to.

Each replicated site also needs to access our online shop for customers to make online purchases.

Since the shop and products are exactly the same for each replicated site... we have been advised to only have the shop on the parent site rather than replicating it. (Would you agree?)

To make sure each instructor gets credit for the sales that come form their replicated site... we will be setting up a way to pass required parameters to track things appropriately.

We also have a blog that will have content posted daily, several "large" filterable photo galleries, video tutorials that explain our products and how to use them, and some additional pages as needed to provide the best experience for any customer. This needs to be the same across all replicated sites as well.

When we first launch, we don't really want our instructors to have much control over their replicated site. Ultimately it is meant as a place for them to send their customers to contact them or place an order.

At some point, we do plan to create a gallery page that is unique for each replicated site so that instructors can post pictures of the projects created by themselves or their customers using the products they purchased.

We also plan on providing a way for them to submit testimonials via their replicated site, that we can access from the parent site.

As a side note... we project at least 1000 child sites before the end of the year... and 10,000+ within 5 years.

With all that in mind... I am looking for any advice on the best approach for setting this up.

If this conversation would be easier via a phone call feel free to contact me directly at 208-932-1823

Thanks - Aaron Budge

• Tyler Postle

Hey Aaron,

Hope you're doing well today! Thanks for the question.

Choice of hosting I think could save a lot of headache in the future - I would go with a scalable VPS. That way as your site grows, potentially rapidly, you can easily scale up resources to keep up.

With shared hosting, if you all of a sudden got a ton of traffic new sites being created you would need to upgrade and that usually means migrating servers - often the web host will help with this, but either way it's a headache you probably want to avoid.

Since the shop and products are exactly the same for each replicated site... we have been advised to only have the shop on the parent site rather than replicating it. (Would you agree?)

I think using our MarketPress and global cart option would be more convenient in this case given the usage case.

I'm assuming you are already pre-setting up the sites with a template? New Blog Templates

So you could pre-setup all the products needed and have a cart on each site.

When global cart is enabled, the checkout is still on the main site - so they add all the products to their cart on the subsite then when they click checkout it takes them to the main sites checkout. This will divvy up where the products were purchases from for you so you don't need too :slight_smile:

You could even use PayPal chained payments and have PayPal divvy up the sale amount too, so it automatically takes a commission of the sale and places it in your account.

We also have a blog that will have content posted daily, several "large" filterable photo galleries, video tutorials that explain our products and how to use them, and some additional pages as needed to provide the best experience for any customer. This needs to be the same across all replicated sites as well.

the tutorials and pages you can have in the pre-setup template so they'll be on all sites.

If you want the posts posted on all sites within the network then you could use our multisite content copier plugin: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/multisite-content-copier/

When we first launch, we don't really want our instructors to have much control over their replicated site. Ultimately it is meant as a place for them to send their customers to contact them or place an order.

By default all site owners will be given admin access, but you can easily adjust the admin access capabilities using this plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/user-role-editor/

As the super admin you will still be able to do everything on all sites, so no worries there :slight_smile:

Hope this helps Aaron! Let us know if you have any further questions.

All the best,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.