Large Wordpress User Base

I'm setting up a WP site that will have 10 000-50 000 blogs from the first week. Are there any limits? Can WP handle these numbers on one server? Does mysql impose any limitations, considering the number of tables it creates is rather bloated?

Thanks

• drmike
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Need to know what's specifically being run for an OS on your server, what you;re running for a hosting platform and you need to ask your host what the file limit per directory on that box.

Going out the door. Sorry for the short answer. Hopefully expand when we hear back from you.

• drmike
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Not sure what a Theta server is. Only reference I can find online for that name is to a gaming server I believe. (I checked this morning when i had time) Can you provide a link please?

Need to know the specific OS as well please. Linux is not an OS but a category of OS'es. (Like the term PC) There's thousands of different ones out there and many of them are quite different.

Feel free to copy and paste my question to your host please.

• wpcdn
    • Syntax Hero

Just a few thoughts:

For that kind of userbase, I am not sure why you'd want to use a VPS (at least that's what it looks like at quick glance) instead of a dedicated server, or better yet multiple servers handling different parts of the load (for example, the way Edublogs does it).

And, even if you did use a VPS, the specs you listed (2 CPU cores, 2 GB RAM) seem far less than what you'll need for this kind of traffic. For our hosting, we use a minimum of a quad-core Xeon server with 8 GB RAM for only a few hundred sites (WordPress or otherwise).

For this many blogs you should definitely use Multi-DB or a similar scaling solution. And what about storage? Even if each blog uses 1 GB of storage, 10-k50k blogs would require a tremendous amount of disk space.

In addition, I believe (but I'm not sure) that there is a 32k folders limit on the blogs.dir directory. So you could reach that limit right out of the gate.

I'd definitely recommend reading up on scaling WPMU, and even hiring a consultant. Otherwise you could have serious issues from the start.

Just my .02 worth...meant as friendly suggestions, not negativity.

Good luck!

Mark

• wpcdn
    • Syntax Hero

Hi,

I think Edublogs has something like half a million blogs.

Here is a great summary of how they scaled their server configuration to accommodate that kind of traffic:

Article

We aren't anywhere near the volume they are yet, and we do standard cPanel hosting in addition to WordPress. But, as mentioned, we still recommend using a powerful server for even moderate traffic.

Let me know how it goes for you.

Mark

• emorling
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

>> I am not sure why you'd want to use a VPS

I don't think there any good motives, but is there a large downside with VPS?

>> we do standard cPanel hosting in addition to WordPress

Can you send me a quote?

>> even hiring a consultant

Who do you reccomend?

Yet again thanks for your insights and patience.

• wpcdn
    • Syntax Hero

I don't think there any good motives, but is there a large downside with VPS?

Well, a VPS is generally a smaller scale hosting setup (as compared to a dedicated server). Some VPSs (usually "cloud") can be expanded to a larger scale, however cloud VPSs often have reliability issues and other issues (for example, one user can abuse the shared storage and slow things down for everyone else on that same storage unit). We tested a popular cloud VPS service for three months several months ago, and the results were dismal. There was far too much downtime, and the performance was terrible in between the outages.

I just meant that, for usage like yours, I wouldn't think of anything other than a dedicated server or a cluster of servers.

Can you send me a quote?

Let me clarify, when I mentioned that we offer hosting, I wasn't trying to spam this forum. I was just describing the kind of server setup we use, and I was clarifying that it isn't all WordPress. I'd be glad to provide you with a quote, but of course we would need to talk about that outside of the forum. My username is our domain name as well.

Who do you reccomend?

Tough question. Of course, the Edublogs crew have the experience and expertise needed to scale WordPress immensely. But I don't know if they're available for consultation (other than resources they offer here). Ron and Andrea Rennick are absolutely amazing, and are WPMU gurus. But I don't know their availability either.

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

Mark

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.