Latest posts / comments / updated blogs and random users

We've gone widget wild!

Four new widgets for you today, that we think you;re gonna like :slight_smile:

Recent global posts - In conjunction with our post indexer plugin this allows you to simply show latest posts from a cross your entire site.

Recent global comments - Same as with the posts, ever comment on every post from every blog - all in one place.

Users widget - Profile your users in an extremely cool way!

Most recent updated blogs widget - A new take on an old function, profile your most recently updated blogs via a widget with lots of configurable funnness thrown in.

Feedback, bugs, requests etc. all mucho welcome here!

• Ovidiu
    • Code Wrangler

some questions regarding the users widget:

- can you post an example how I could use it in my template instead of a widget? what would the code look like to display random 24 users with only avatar, username not showing?
    - can the plugin be changed so it shows the username when hovering over the user avatar?
    - what about a checkbox to exclude users of the main blog?

• Andrew
    • Champion of Loops

Hiya,

- can you post an example how I could use it in my template instead of a widget? what would the code look like to display random 24 users with only avatar, username not showing?

Sorry, you'll have to look at the code to figure this out. Everything you will need should be in the widgets though.

- can the plugin be changed so it shows the username when hovering over the user avatar?

We'll look into this.

- what about a checkbox to exclude users of the main blog?

We'll see about not including site admins in that list. Too many users get added as subscribers to the main blog to exclude all main blog users.

Thanks,
    Andrew

• Andrew
    • Champion of Loops

Hiya,

Just to throw this out but is there any method to mark out blogs that only have the single "Hello World" post so they don't show up or, just to make Luke happy, at least 'x' number of posts?

What I could do is compare the last updated date to registered date when blogs are randomly sorted. I think this would be a bit pointless when blogs are sorted by most recent. We'd just get a ton of people asking why new blogs don't show up in the most recent blogs list.

Thanks,
    Andrew

• Ovidiu
    • Code Wrangler

I am using a modified edu blogger theme so I don't want to create a new widget area. checked teh widget code, fou8dn this:

function widget_users($args)

what args and how would I pass to the function that if want to show only the avatar, random order, 24 avatars each 32px big?

• drmike
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

can you post an example how I could use it in my template instead of a widget?

We usually do that by adding the code to the theme's functions.php file. If the theme is for a specific blog like the main one, that's the only blog that will get that code.

• Ovidiu
    • Code Wrangler

regarding: Most recent updated blogs widget

it also shows my dashboard blog. I set the dashboard blog's privacy settings to:

I would like only logged in users who are registered subscribers to see my blog.

But it still shows up in the output of this widget. I changed the widget code and added the check for public:

$query = "SELECT blog_id FROM " . $wpdb->base_prefix . "blogs WHERE spam != '1' AND archived != '1' AND deleted != '1' AND public != '0' ORDER BY registered DESC LIMIT

but it still shows the dashboard blog. I can of course change it to AND public = '1' but will that cut out any other blogs? I mean basically there is only public 1 or 0 but the privacy plugin offers 5 choices.

Can someone elaborate a little?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.