Latest theme update crashed site

I just did the theme update and the site is gone.

http://www.utopiatulsa.com

• Michelle Shull

Hi, Andrea!

It looks like a 500 internal server error is causing the problem here, it's showing up in the dev console. I updated Upfront the other day without an issue, it looks like something may have gone wrong in the update. We can work around this!

1. First, let's try the simple step. Grab a fresh copy of Upfront from the Spirit Product page, here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/spirit/
    1a. Fire up your FTP client, like Filezilla, and log into your server.
    1b. Overwrite the fresh Upfront you just downloaded over the one that's currently on your server.
    1c. See if you can access your site again.

2. If that doesn't work, we'll need to trick your site into using a different theme.
    2a. Make sure you have one of the default WordPress themes, like twenty fifteen, on your site. If you don't still have at least one default theme, grab a copy of one from WP.org, and install it via FTP. (By moving the theme folder from your computer to the wp-content/themes directory.)
    2b. Rename BOTH the Spirit and Upfront theme folders, like _Spirit and _Upfront.
    2c. Your site should now load with the default theme, and you should be able to access everything again.

Let us know what happens here, and we can help troubleshoot more if needed!

• Sajid

Hi Andrea! Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

I recently updated on my own sandbox site and everything went smooth. As stated by Michelle it can be done via FTP. Chances are WP missed some files while updating, its pretty common in WordPress automatic updates and you have to switch to manual method to update a theme/plugin. You can do this by following the steps mentioned by Michelle in above post point 1.

That will fix your problem, if some thing went wrong we are always here to get you out of it :slight_smile:

Cheers, Sajid

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.