Latest update destroyed my website!!!

I am SOOOO DAMNED ANGRY!!!

Your latest Membership update (3.5.1.2) made a complete mess of my website.

I made extensive use of current_user_on_level() - and this was removed!!!

I can't believe you'd do something so amateurish as to remove a hook like this without detailed guidance.

I've restored the previous version, thank God I had a backup!

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi @Ian,

Sorry to hear of the problems you are having.

Your latest Membership update (3.5.1.2) made a complete mess of my website.

Our latest membership plugin version is 3.5.1.3 and not 3.5.1.2

I made extensive use of current_user_on_level() - and this was removed!!!

It is in the latest version of Membership plugin in the following file on line number 358

membership\membershipincludes\includes\functions.php

I've restored the previous version, thank God I had a backup!

You can install older version of any plugin / theme anytime.

To install older version, delete the present one. then go to: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership/

Select changelog and then click on the version number to download it. You can choose any of previous version. This is link for recent version: https://premium.wpmudev.org/download/684426427_membership-3.5.1.2.zip

You will find more information about installing older version of the plugin on the following page.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/downloading-previous-versions-of-plugins-and-themes

Please advise.

Kind Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi @Ian,

Thank you for your reply.

All calls to current_user_on_level(n) caused wordpress to crash.
    The old version has been restored, but...
    1) when will the new one be fixed?
    2) as a newbe to wpmu, your testing seems lax
    3) can I trust future updates?

I think you didn't see my previous reply so i will just copy paste it here again.

The function current_user_on_level is in the latest version of Membership plugin in the following file on line number 358

membership\membershipincludes\includes\functions.php

Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi @Ian,

Perhaps you didn't see my reply?

Yes i saw it you said initially that the function is removed but now i got you meant it's causing WordPress to crash.

Sorry if i have missed anything.

I have used the latest version of Membership plugin on my test site and it's working fine without crashing my site.

There must be something wrong on your site which is causing this issue. Don't worry we will resolve this issue.

Can you please try enabling WP_DEBUG mode and debug logging? To do this, just go to wp-config.php include this:

define('WP_DEBUG',true);
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG',true);

You might already have a line for WP_DEBUG, so just make sure it's set to true. This will create a log file under wp-content/debug.log with detailed information.

If you'd like to avoid end users seeing error messages, you can include this as well:

@ini_set('display_errors',0);
    define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);

This will prevent errors from being displayed, but you can still find them in the log file. For information on this, checkout this wpmu.org article.

Let me know what errors if any you are getting!

Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• Ian

Sorry, I'm not going to install the latest version again on my live site, I can't afford for my site to go down - like I said, this wasn't just some minor error message, it was catastrophic failure.
    The reference to if (current_user_on_level(1)){} in my theme functions.php caused the site to fail - that is what PHP reported on my otherwise blank home page. I'm not going there again.
    You'll have to do your own testing.

• Timothy Bowers

Hey Ian.

I understand your frustration here, but certainly don't appreciate the tone or accusations of being amateurish. Vinod was not assuming you were stupid, you claimed a function was removed which wasn't, I think his assumption that you might have missed that was fair.

Lets just quickly mention standard procedure here when maintaining any website, never test new updates on a live production site. It's not the recommended thing and can lead to issue like you experienced.

You should test upgrades within your sandbox install first, an install which is an exact replica including the environment.

A white page can often mean there is a memory issue on your site, it needs more. It's hard to know for sure without seeing the actual errors. You're saying it was the check for current_user_on_level but so far you've not share an error to imply this.

Basically, the more code you run the more memory your site would need to function. I haven't compared version for version but it's certainly a possible issue here.

Neither Vinod nor myself can replicate this issue. As such it limits what we can do unless we can either investigate it happening or member lets us know the error.

We're more than happy to assist further, but we'll need the errors at least please. You could ask your host to check your error_log there could be output there from the time this occured.

Let us know.

Take care.

• DavidM

Hi @Ian,

This wasn't a beta release, it's just that there are various things to account for on your site, like memory usage, etc. That actually holds true with all plugins, only the larger a plugin is, the more likely you'll run into issues if on limited memory, or similar for other potential conflicts.

If you'll let us know more on the error logs as Tim mentioned, we'll gladly assist as best we can. I'm sure we could sort it with that.

Looking forward to getting this sorted with you. :slight_smile:

Thanks,
    David

• amused

I am not a staff member here.

Still trying to put all the pieces together to have a reliable, functioning, safe, stable etc. WP multisite myself.
    Therefore I know how frustrating it can be sometimes.

Its a learning process for me and I believe it always will be for everyone as WP is always changing and hence so would the zillion amount of themes and plugins out there.
    We are dealing with a free open source demon that we all feed.

I have spent countless time and money checking out other support sites and forums for WP.
    I honestly believe we have something great and special here Ian.
    I would be hard pressed (not WordPressed hehe just a joke to lighten up the mood in here) to find better support than what these guys offer.

Hey Timothy ! You hit the nail right on the head for me with your sandbox suggestion.
    Trying to achieve this right now actually with the new ver.3 MAMP PRO.

Possibly an extensive tutorial on wpmuDEV's youtube channel on how to replicate environments for this purpose ?

Hope everything works out for you Ian,
    stick with these guys, they are willing and committed which is hard to find elsewhere these days.

Have a BLESSED day everyone !!!

Respectfully,

RC.

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there.

I think a tutorial could be rather handy. We kinda have something planned as you'll see here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/earn-your-wpmudev-membership/

It's the coming soon part, WP Academy, I'm sure the name says enough. :slight_smile:

I'm not sure what topics we'll cover yet but this would be perfect for that. :slight_smile:

Sandbox environments are very important, no changes should ever take place on a live site first. No matter how well something is tested there are that many different environments, plugins, themes and other code that could conflict. It's impossible to account for the hundreds of thousands of variables that could occur.

Anyone working with software will know that unfortunately bugs do get by, look at the recent OpenSSL security issue, or Microsoft's IE security issue. That's huge, Microsoft is vastly larger than us and has many more resources but this still occurred. The same can be said of Linux and Mac, bugs happen. All we can do is apologize and fix them where given the opportunity.

The fact that this member was claiming current_user_on_level was removed would make me think he probably had a fatal error with undefined function. If that's the case then I'd be led to the update failed for someone reason and perhaps the file was corrupted during his upload.

Ultimately if he doesn't wish to work with us regarding his custom code in his theme then we're unable to help :slight_frown:

Thanks for your kind word Randall, really appreciated.

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.