Latest update installed in wrong directory?

Today I installed the latest version of Custom Sidebars Pro, using the "automatic update" link in the dashboard.

When I did this, Custom Sidebars Pro disappeared from all of my sites using this plugin. The directory "/custom-sidebars/" disappeared from my wp-content/plugins directory, so every site using this plugin said the plugin was deactivated because no file was found at custom-sidebars/customsidebars.php .

However, when I searched the list of installed plugins, I found Custom Sidebars was there. A little sleuthing and I found that for some reason, the update did the following:

- deleted the directory plugins/custom-sidebars/ and its contents
- installed the new version of the plugin to plugins/popover/

Why did this happen? I evaluated popover a few weeks ago, but deleted the plugin. Nothing appears to be in the /popover/ directory except files related to custom sidebars pro.

Until I can figure out what happened and how to prevent this in the future, I'm reluctant to update any wpmudev plugins on my production site— determining what sites were previously using this plugin wasn't an easy task.

Kind regards,

Mike

  • Michael Bissett

    Hey @Mike, hope you're doing well today, this issue with Custom Sidebars Pro notwithstanding. :slight_smile:

    I can confirm this behavior on my end as well, it appears that there was a bug in the latest update. I've reached out to the developer about this, so we can get this fixed ASAP.

    To answer your concern about updating our plugins, while an issue like this is rare, might I suggest the establishing of a test site?

    That way, you can test out any updates before applying them to the production site, just to be certain that there won't be any hiccups or outages (especially considering the size of the network you run presently). :slight_smile:

    Let me know if I can be of further assistance here please!

    Cheers,
    Michael

  • Mike

    Thanks Michael,

    The intention of our development server is for exactly that— testing plugin updates before we implement on the live site. Unfortunately the site is also used for in-progress new sites, which typically are using the latest and greatest plugins we get from wpmudev.

    It sounds like we need to add a step to our testing procedure: document all of the sites are using a plugin you are updating, not just a handful for testing purposes.

    Thanks for confirming the bug, I'll look forward to the update so we can return the code to its correct directory!

    Kind regards,

    Mike

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.