I'm still working on a multilingual blog creation service and just want to be sure that I won't have bad surprises in the future.
According to this post it looks like the following scenario would be the best way to build this project:
- 1 Wordpress multisite for the whole network.
- Mainsite (http://example.com) will be linking to the following subsites: (like wikipedia.org does)
- http://en.example.com (will be my portal for English-speaking customers)
- http://fr.example.com (will be my portal for French-speaking customers)
- http://de.example.com (will be my portal for German-speaking customers)
Each of these subsites will be using a different child theme of the same parent theme. For example:
My parent theme is "exampletheme"
http://en.example.com will be using "exampletheme-child-en"
http://fr.example.com will be using "exampletheme-child-fr"
http://de.example.com will be using "exampletheme-child-de"
I think that by doing this I will have less problems in the future (language/translation issues...) but maybe I'm wrong. Well, if you have an advice to give me about this it would be very appreciated.
What's about plugins like:
- https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/terms-of-service (I would like them in French on fr, in English on en, ...)
- https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/first-comment (I would like it in French on fr, in English on en, ...)
- https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/easy-blogging-tooltips (I would like them in French on fr, in English on en, ...)
- https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/automatic-follow-up-emails-for-new-users (idem)
- https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/custom-content-dashboard-widget (idem)
- https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/global-footer-content (idem)
- What would be the best way to show a TOS (terms-of-service) in English if the user creates an account on en.example.com and to show a TOS in French if a user creates an account on fr.example.com?
- What would be the best way to show tooltips (easy-blogging-tooltips) in English for admins whose site language is set to English and to show tooltips in French for admins whose site language is set to French?
Of course, I have the same questions/doubts for the other plugins mentioned above.
Should I duplicate each of these plugins for every language? Example: plugins/signup-tos_en // plugins/signup-tos_fr // plugins/signup-tos_de or is that a stupid idea?
I also would like to offer a main support forum with bbpress. I'm not really sure if I should better create one big bbpress install with subforums for each language (http://example.com/forums/english // http://example.com/forums/francais // ...) or if I should better create different bbpress installs (one for each language: http://en.example.com/forums // http://fr.example.com/forums // http://de.example.com/forums // ...). Of course every user should be able to login to the appropriate forum without creating a new account. What would you do if you were in my place?
Are there any other problems, questions or other options I might have to consider with this model? Well, finally what I would like to have is some kinds of portals like:
Thank you for the care that you will give to these questions that are fundamental to every kind of multilingual Wordpress multisite project. :slight_smile:
P.S. : Feel free to move this post to a different forum if you think it would be useful for non registered users.