Layout question with Upfront Builder

Hi-
I created a theme build to download from my current builder installed theme. I installed the theme I built on a new website and the layouts did not come through with the theme where I thought they would be.

I can see the actual files for these templates were created in the layouts folder of the theme's directory. But, if I go to add a new page from the traditional dashboard, the template name is not found on the add new page under the page attributes. I do see the template if I use the Upfront customizer to add a page.

I wanted to confirm that the only way to add a page for the theme is with the Upfront Customize Option and not the Add New Page through the Dashboard. I would expect that it would be the same situation for adding a post.

Please let me know.

Thanks!
Becky

Kasia Swiderska

Hello Becky,

I cannot replicate this issue I'm afraid. I created theme in Builder and created single-page.php template and custom template for page single-page-mytemplatename.php and I can select new template I created in WordPress Editor.
    I checked you site and you have there Bold theme activated. It looks like its created in Builder and when I checked adding new page I could select different templates.
    But then I might be checking wrong site - please advise what I'm missing here.

You can add new pages and new posts through the WordPress Dashboard - and they will work the same way as those added in Upfront Editor.

kind regards,
    Kasia

Becky Bruso

Hi- I am using Chrome. I had installed a few extensions to clear cache and had been using these. When I go to the add page panel, I only have 3 page template choices.

The theme was created entirely in Builder and not Editor. When I go to view the website, I am using the visit site option.

I cleared my browser cache via clearing history and settings and reloaded the website and am just now able to see the changes from Builder when I visit the website.

Thank you very much for your assistance with these issues. I am planning to do a fresh DB install and then reinstall the theme I created. I have made many changes via Builder.

I will see if this corrects the page /post template visibility within the dashboard. Earlier I had tried using a different browser (FireFox) and still the changes weren't reflected at that time. Then, I had wondered if the front end refresh was due to a browser issue with Chrome. At that time earlier today, Firefox did not refresh with my corrections either. It is something I will watch for with browser and be sure to use the chrome cache clearing versus extension cache clearing in the future.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Becky

Becky Bruso

Hi-

I believe I am still experiencing problems with layouts getting exported.

I created a theme with a number of layouts which are visible through the Builder on the website where they were created. I then created an export of the installed theme which was the one I was working on in Builder.

I installed the .zip file on another website and have received a message (image attached) on the add page option from the main dashboard. Please let me know what this means. It might be useful to outline the steps to take when creating a layout. After I add each layout, I update the theme by using the Save Theme button.

Thanks.
    Becky

Kasia Swiderska

Hello Becky,

Hi- I am using Chrome. I had installed a few extensions to clear cache and had been using these. When I go to the add page panel, I only have 3 page template choices.

How many templates have you created?
    Are files for those templates visible in files of theme?

I installed the .zip file on another website and have received a message (image attached) on the add page option from the main dashboard. Please let me know what this means.

That mean that if you earlier created page in Upfront Editor, added some draggable elements and then here, in WordPress admin panel, editing like normal page, when you change template for that page you will loose all those changes you made in Upfront Editor (so, those draggable elements you added).
    It will not erase content you see in WordPress editor - when you are creating page in WordPress editor you can ignore that message, it only applies to pages that were changed in Upfront editor.

It might be useful to outline the steps to take when creating a layout. After I add each layout, I update the theme by using the Save Theme button.

Did you in the meantime edited site in Upfront Editor maybe? Could I get access to that site where you cannot see those templates?

kind regards,
    Kasia

Becky Bruso

Kasia -

I have created a number of templates. The files for these exist in the layout directory. But as I look now, I can see some of those have layout and not template naming. I was not prompted to save them in any special way when I created.

SO, now I have reverted to creating the look and feel of the website and am no longer using the builder as I have gone to the editor phase of the website build out.

When I look at the back end, I see under the theme only a couple of templates, those which I created layouts for are within the layout folder. I have attached images of the folders for you to take a look at.

Sorry- My computer froze when writing up to this point. Here is the rest of the information I wanted to say.
    When creating the layouts, I was not prompted to save differently. I used the popup window which said add layout. The seem to have stayed in the layout directory..
    I am now using the editor to finalize the website and am not using the builder any more. I am finalizing using the editor. During the theme creation, I was solely using the builder. I consistently have had a problem with the current installed theme that I was building reflecting the updates on the front end of the website.
    I am not able to allow access to the website as I am now working to deliver it.

Nithin

Hey Becky Bruso,

You screenshot shows two template files, it's odd that these aren't shown in the WP visual editor. By default when you create a Single Page Layout, two files gets created, one under the themes root directory, with a slug page_tpl-page-name.php, and the related layout in the /layouts folder, eg: single-page-page-name.php. I tested in my system, and it seems to work fine, the Single Page layout created through Upfront Builder was visible in the Default Template section of page in the default WordPress Visual editor.

Are you able to replicate this issue again, or in another WP install? Since you are no longer working on Builder, and you haven't enabled support access due to that, if you are looking to troubleshoot this issue further, please enable support access, so that we could give a closer look.

You can grant access from WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access, or check this manual: http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Please let us know once you enable access, so that we could get this sorted. Have a nice day.

Kind Regards,
    Nithin