LDAP registry page with independent Blog name options

First: My apologies if this is already somewhere on the forum, newby, slack appreciated.

Can someone provide a plug in with some "how to" that allows developing and maintaing an LDAP registry for users and allow the user to name the blog by topic.

I am developing http://www.history-of-surfing.com and want to have blogs as sub directories based on location or area of interest ie

http://www.history-of-surfing.com/ocean-city-nj

This is a similar thread from the WPmu forum

http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=9919

• BobSgt

Thank you for your response. I am new at this, so I will play around a bit and see where it takes me.

Suggestion: It would be great if there was a one-on-one "mentoring" program, where for a price, a new person could work with someone to reach their goals using WPmu. This would also help train more WPmu users that can in turn help at community level stuff.

Example:
    Here are my goals, here is my site, any suggestions?
    Response; add this plug-in consider this theme add this capability.
    Done and working, how would I achieve this capability.
    Response, here is some script...
    etc..

I am trying to get launched as a "bootstrap" can't commit 25K+ to get the prototype done, going through the forum is good, but slow. And ultimately need to be smart enough to manage the site once it has gone live.

• James Farmer

Howabout an extended set of videos like this?

http://wpmudev.org/getting-started-with-wpmu/

I've been tossing that about as a possibility for Premium for some time now and any recommendations for topics / structure / approaches would be great :slight_smile:

Mentoring is a nice idea, but realistically not that attractive for the mentor (where's the contract) and the mentee (you don't get the support you would from a proper contract).

In the end, I'd like Premium to be a be a place where people can go from zero to hero independently using guides, plugins, themes and support like this... I think we're getting there but we welcome any suggestions as to how we can improve the service.

• BobSgt

James,

Thanks so much for your response. I have already used those videos. They were very helpful, but slightly off as GoDaddy does not use c-panel. But it was not difficult to figure out how to install on GoDaddy and get my existing blog moved to the new site. By the way, GoDaddy has been incredibly supportive. The best live help I have ever received bar none!

I have also downloaded many of the theme, plug-ins and multi DB code. Thank You, this is all great stuff once I learn how to implement it..

At any rate, so I signed up for a year of your service. It is good, but for me being less technically savvy than others, it is not as helpful as it can be since I have to have a reasonable technical background to understand what is being posted and how to implement and optimize for what my goals are.

30+ years ago I programmed in Fortran, Ada, IBM Assembler and JOVIAL. Never in C, never used Unix, SQL, php, CSS or HTML. So while I have a vague understanding of the premise, to actually implement code snippits and get to the goals that I have takes a lot of time.

So if a years worth of premium service is $250.00, it would be an added ($$) value to have access through an email stream that would allow me to present privately to a mentor what my intentions are, have my existing site looked at and get specific recommendations of what could enhance the site. This would be:
    * private mentoring on the way to reaching a goal
    * implementation guidelines offered without guarantee of results.
    * Not a contractual finished project, just a way to get some additional hand holding to get to a better product quickly without too many stubbed toes along the way.
    * So I can do the changes with direction. I would prefer to do it myself through direction so I can learn to maintain and enhance the site independently and with a reasonable amount of confidence. I would have a reasonable level of configuration control, so I can recreate the site if need be.

My goals:
    * To have my website live in by January 1st with the following:
    **add multi data base code
    **make sure that appropriate security plug-ins are applied.
    **How to and where to incorporate advertising plug-ins
    ** How to optimize for search
    ** register people who want to create a blog (actually this will be more of a content management site)
    **get the blog (sub-directory) named appropriately per the topic/location
    **create an admin account for that specific blog

Once the underlying structure is complete and sound, I can then worry about presentation issues like CSS etc.

So how do I get my concept http://www.history-of-surfing.com to a structure like consumerbrigade.com

• andrea_r

"** register people who want to create a blog (actually this will be more of a content management site)
    **get the blog (sub-directory) named appropriately per the topic/location
    **create an admin account for that specific blog"

If you're the one creating them in the backend, this is a one-step process. Maybe not including #2 on that list, but when you create blog, you can add an admin to it at the same time.

Site Admin -> Blogs, scroll down to "add blog".

• BobSgt

Andrea,

Thanks for the help. Trying to get structure and process set up from the back end and wound up creating a fatal error. (I should be considered armed and dangerous!)

While creating a blog and trying to set up users, editing path names , somehow or another I must blown away the path to my root site.

So now in Site Admin/Blogs it does not show "/" in path, it is just empty. Is there a way to correct this or is this a mySQL entry that has to be fixed?

• BobSgt

Looking at the Consumer Brigade front page the features I would like to implement to start are:

A 3 column theme; for ads, Featured Blogs or comments, pull down menu for the hierarchy.

The user registration on the right upper corner

The Blog Catagory pull down menu. I need to structure my website to have multiple hierachies i.e. Contries at the highest level United States, Australia, etc - States at the next level and the surfing communities would be the actual blogs

A top tags menu

Is this custom code or can it be accomplished with plug ins?

• Andrew

Hiya,

Themes aren't my department I can comment on some of the other bits.

Featured Blogs or comments, pull down menu for the hierarchy

You can pull off recent comments via the comment indexer plugin and recent blogs via a simple db query. However, if really want 'featured' as in admin selected then you may have to code some custom plugins.

The Blog Catagory pull down menu. I need to structure my website to have multiple hierachies i.e. Contries at the highest level United States, Australia, etc - States at the next level and the surfing communities would be the actual blogs

The blog types plugin should handle this. Countries as the type and states/province as subtypes.

A top tags menu

The post indexer plugin should allow you to pull this one off. You could also use the plugin Donncha made.

Is this custom code or can it be accomplished with plug ins?

There are some plugins that will help you but you'll definitely need a bit of custom code to get everything working the way you want.

Thanks,
    Andrew

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.