Let's discuss the combo of Multisite, Ultimate Facebook plugin & Buddypress

I'm hoping to get a lively conversation going regarding WP Multisite, Ultimate Facebook plugin, and Buddypress:
1) How to best use them together.
2) Benefits of using the Ultimate Facebook in combination with WPMU and BP.
3) Limitations when using them together...if any.
4) It seems like most individuals here are using WPMU and BP together and leaving Ultimate Facebook out of the mix.
5) Lastly, a simple +1 or -1 for using them together if you don't care to write anything detailed :slight_smile:

No need to weigh in on all topics....and no need to stick to the discussion points I provided if there's something else you'd like to discuss regarding the use of these three tools and the experiences you have had when using them together.

Cheers to the geeks,
Jeff

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

Hey Jeff,

I hope you know that there is no official version of BuddyPress for Multisite right? BuddyPress works on a Multisite, but its only a single instance, not a separate network for each sub-site.

You can use this plugin to make it otherwise: http://buddydev.com/plugins/buddypress-multi-network/

Without that, you could have a network, and one BuddyPress network for the entire network, which is probably good for most people.

Like you said, Ultimate Facebook is usually left out, but actually I think it would be a great addition. Especially, the login with Facebook part. Ultimate Facebook supports the extended profile fields from BuddyPress and can map users Facebook data to their BuddyPress extended profiles when they register with Facebook : https://premium.wpmudev.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/11.png

On a WordPress Multisite, Ultimate Facebook can do lots of wonders. Every article could be sent to the users Facebook or to the common account for the network.

I don't see why you shouldn't use it. Go for it. My +1 :slight_smile:

• Jenoll
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Arun,
    Does Ultimate FB work with Multisite Domain Mapping? I have seen various statements. I have it set up but Facebook doesn't like the Alias that is being used for the domain Mapping... I would appreciate any thought you have. I get login to work but the autopost always fails with a domain error cause FB want mydoain.com and not my domain.maindomain.com.

Thanks for any insight

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

Hey Jenoll,

On a Domain Mapped plugin, it works just like on a Single domain. Each site needs its own Facebook app and you need to be using the real domain name and not the sub-domain.

So if say myawesomedomain.com is mapped to site1.domainx.com, you should be using myawesomedomain.com with Facebook and not what the Ultimate Facebook suggests.

Makes sense?

• sharonmiranda
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I think Ultimate Facebook and Google+ plugins could well be added as team to the BP and WP multisite combo. they both extend the functionality into real outreaching power.

p.s. I keep wondering where the +1/-1 button is. I guess there isn't one and so you just enter it in your post? Would seem wise to have a button, so it they can be counted.

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

@sharonmiranda

At the moment, No, Ultimate Facebook doesn't integrate with Cube Points. I suppose you are talking about the Facebook comments part of Ultimate Facebook, right?

Can you show me the other thread where you have asked this question, I will discuss it with the developer and see if it can be a feature request.

Thanks!

• sharonmiranda
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I am actually wondering whether facebook 'like' buttons could be integrated with cubepoints or 'pay with a like'. Also, it would certainly be great if a person could be rewarded for linking to the site via their facebook account and receive award point.

I haven't asked this question elsewhere.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.