Lets Encrypt SSL with Mapped Domains on Multisite

I am attempting to add Lets Encrypt to the domains in my Wordpress Multisite with mapped domains.

I have a Lets Encrypt cert for sbwebmasters.com. I don't know if it is set up as wildcard. Doesn't look like it.

I am looking for a guidline for how to do it, and maybe someone to help me.

Scott

• Rupok
    • Support Ninja

Hi Scott,

Thanks for asking. It's possible to use Let's Encrypt SSL Certificates for your mapped domains. Let me explain.

Wildcard SSL Certificates work on a single domain and on all of its subdomains. For example, if you have a wildcard SSL certificate for example.com, then it will also work for sub1.example.com, sub2.example.com, sub3.example.com etc.

But that wildcard SSL certificate won't work for your mapped domains as your mapped domains are completely different.

However, for adding SSL certificates for your mapped domains, at first, you will need to add those domains to your cPanel as addon domains. After that, you will need to issue Let's Encrypt SSL Certificate for those domains. And then you can map those domains to your subsites. They will work fine with HTTPS as long as those SSL certificates are on your server.

I hope this will help. Please let us know if you have any confusion or any further query. We are always here to help.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Rupok
    • Support Ninja

Hi Scott,

That's a very interesting question. As far as I know, Cloudflare SSL will work for the mapped domain as Cloudflare handles the SSL part and serves data under SSL when SSL is enabled. You can surely try that. But don't forget to change the mapping schema to HTTPS while mapping the domain.

Domain Mapping plugin doesn't have any conflict with Cloudflare. As long as the domain data requests are forwarded to the multisite main site, that should work.

Please let us know what happens when you enable SSL with Cloudflare. Also, let us know if you have any confusion or any further query. We will be very glad to help.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Davinian
    • New Recruit

Hi, I have a similar question, running VPS at Rackspace / nginx and no cPanel.
    Currently running approx 180 subdomains all with mapped domains - I am banging my head trying to work out how to use Let's Encrypt as there really isn't a need for paid certs. But Let's Encrypt SAN cap at 100 domains and I am not sure how to get around this.
    Any help/advice much appreciated.
    David

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.