Level Access and URL Groups not working?

I have a hierarchical membership structure, where each membership level should be able to see their level information and everything "below" them in the membership hierarchy. I also have a visitors level.

I have set up one member for each level (as a test), except visitor, of course. Each member is Active, and has both a membership level and subscription attached. (See screenshot 01)

I have defined 5 access levels. Each access level is active. I am using 2 positive rules inside each access level: the category and url group rule. I have one category that I want everyone to see, and it is on the home page (called "advisory). I have setup one URL group for each level (example pages contained in parentheses). See Screenshot 02.

Each URL Group only has those pages specific to that level. (See screenshot 03).

Level-Visitors => Visitors URL Group (index.php, contact.php, etc.)
Level-Tenant => Tenant URL Group (freshmen-content.php)
Level-Owner => Owner URL Group (sophomore-content.php)
Level-Officer => Officer URL Group (junior-content.php)
Level-Admin => Admin URL Group (senior-content.php)

My Visitors level is working, but none of the other levels are. Can anyone please shed light on why not.?

Thanks in advance for your help. I'm desperate!

• 3SixtyEvolve

Hi @diverchrisfl

Greetings from the WPMU DEV Support Team and thank you for being a member of our Community.

I tried to have a look at your settings on the screenshots, but the images weren't clear enough for me to get an idea of your settings. Any chance that you can provide higher resolution images - a good way to take screenshots is with SnagIt and they offer a 1 month trial period.

In the meantime I will also ask the Developer to provide feedback.

All the best and hope to get you sorted in no time.

Gina

• diverchrisfl

Hi Joe

Yes, I was working on the latest version. Pardon my long reply, as I would like this to be in the archives to help anyone else searching on the same issue.

I have gotten it to work, in what I consider an inelegant solution. Specifically, my mistake was thinking that you could allow a membership to see multiple url groups. I had set up a core set of stranger pages, and then wanted to add level pages to that.

What didn't work
    For example,I had a home page and a contact page for everyone to see, then I had tenant specific pages that only a logged in tenant should be able to see. I created a url group for strangers called Visitors that contained home and contact pages, then created a separate URL group for tenants that only included the tenant page.

After that I added my visitors AND tenants url group in my access level permissions.

That did not work, and was giving me unusual and unrepeatable errors, thus my confusion.

What did work
    I finally tried creating separate url groups for each level, and repeating the "lower" levels urls in the "upper" level group. I then only selected one URL group per level, and it worked.

If my solution was wrong, I would love to know how to do it correctly, because I find the exercise of repeating lists of pages across multiple URL groups (I have 5) tiresome and can see where errors will occur. If that is the way the software is supposed to work, then I would suggest to the development team that the checkboxes in the URL groups should be changed to radio buttons to prevent multiple selections.

Looking forward to hearing back from you. Please leave the support topic open.

Thanks
    Chris

• diverchrisfl

Hi Joe

I'm not familiar with the Interim Fix. Are there instructions on how to upload or check to see if I am already running this? I have the WPMU Dev Update Notifications plug-in installed and my Membership Premium plugin says it is version 3.0.

Should I just upload the zip archive you attached as a new plugin? Do I need to delete or deactivate anything first? Will I lose any of my current settings?

Thanks
    Chris

• aecnu

Greetings Chris,

Sorry for the delay here Chris, it appears that this ticket was eaten by the ticket system and I came across it today while digging in the back doing some house keeping.

By now you should be aware that Membership plugin version 3-RC-2 is available and if you have not already you should update your installation asap.

Should I just upload the zip archive you attached as a new plugin?

Though it is obviously not relative to the Interim Fix anymore due to the full update 3-RC-2 is out, the answer would have been to unzip the file to your computer then upload it via FTP to your host.

This technique would however still apply to the update 3-RC-2 :slight_smile:

Do I need to delete or deactivate anything first?

Not that I am aware of.

Will I lose any of my current settings?

Not if there are applicable equal setting in the update.

How are you making out with the latest release?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings Chris,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe

• Michael

Thanks for solution provided Chris. Just had the same problem, wanting an 'Level 2' URL group to be in addition to a 'Level 1' URL group, but it wasn't working. So ended up having to add all of the URLs from the 'Level 1' URL group into the 'Level 2' URL group and simply select the single URL group for users at this level.

As you say, not very elegant, but it is a solution. Would be good to see this functionality built in in future releases. I.e. similar to how Advanced Segments can be built within Google Analytics - abc AND def OR xyz etc.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.