Licensing Feature

Hello,

I am highly considering investing in Digital Access Pass, albeit I don't really want to but the feature set that it comes with, such as the ability to offer upsells and downsells and one time offers is what is driving me. Albeit, I also need a way to license my plugins, that is that users have to enter a registration key (the same way that one has to with WPMUDEV plugins in order to use them)
and hence I was curious if there was someway to add this functionality into the Marketpress or membership plugins?

Thanks,

Matt

• Aaron

Are you selling WP plugins? If so you can't license them anything other than GPL. Our API key system is not required and doesn't limit our plugins, it's just used to notify and provide you with easy automatic updates.

Not exactly sure what you mean by your other question:

I am highly considering investing in Digital Access Pass, albeit I don't really want to but the feature set that it comes with, such as the ability to offer upsells and downsells and one time offers is what is driving me.

In MarketPress at least you have the coupon functionality. We havn't built in any upselling/cross-selling functionality though at the moment. You can do some basic stuff just by editing the checkout messages, but that's not dynamic.

• Veronica J. Kirchoff

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have a similar question/need.

My understanding is that your plugin only needs to be GPL if you're offering it through the WP Repository. If you're selling it outside the repository and hosting it yourself, you can offer it under whatever license you like.

This is why many plugin developers have a free or "Lite" version on the repository and offer an upgraded "Full" version for sale with their own licensing requirements, for example an API key, a proprietary license key #, domain or email "lock" where the plugin can only be used on a particular domain name or by entering the email of the buyer, etc.

This is exactly what I want to do, since my plugins will not be on the WP repository. I don't want customers to be able to copy the plugins to other domains, or create a copy of an entire site that has my plugins installed, and create new sites at will without paying for it. Nor do I want my plugins to be uploaded to black hat forums.

I was wondering if WPMUdev has any plans to create a plugin licensing system, something like http://codecanyon.net/item/wordpress-licensing-system-basic/3720528

If not, that's ok. I'll just use that one in the link above. But if you do have plans for this, or plans to integrate a plugin licensing feature into Marketpress, I'd rather stick with using all WPMUdev plugins wherever possible.

Thank you!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.