Like button in forums and Swedish characters åäö in username

I have two urgent problems with the otherwise superb Ultimate Facebook plugin. Unfortunately problem 1, if not solved, makes the plugin worthless for use in Sweden. Really hope you can help me!

1. When registering using Facebook connect any Swedish special characters (å, ä and ö) in the username just disappears. For example Facebook username "Räksmörgås" becomes "Rksmrgs" in Wordpress.

2. The like button shows up on blog posts and pages, but it does not appear on Forum posts.

• DavidM

Hi danoman and first off, welcome to WPMU DEV!

WordPress itself doesn't allow special characters in usernames, but users can change their displayed name on the site after signup. Would that work for you?

As for the Like button not showing in forum posts, the plugin does provide integration with custom post types and using the plugin version of bbPress, I believe that would work, by ensuring the forum post types are unticked as shown here:

However, if you're using the default Group-based BuddyPress forums, I think you'll have to customize your theme to include the Like button, a bit of an extensive edit.

-David

• danoman

Thanks for your great quick respons!

1. Ok, is there a way to force the user to chose a valid username on signup (instead of after signup)? Otherwise it might be a good idea replacing (‘/å/’,'/ä/’,'/ö/’,'/ü/’, ‘/Å/’, ‘/Ä/’, ‘/Ö/’, ‘/Ü/’,'/é/’) with (‘a’,'a’, ‘o’, ‘u’, ‘A’, ‘A’, ‘O’, ‘U’,'e’).

2. I'm using Multi Site and Buddypress (bp default theme) and the bbPress plugin (have changed to sitewide forums instead of the group-based). The Forum box in the settings is unchecked. Still no like/send button on the Forum posts.

• DavidM

Hi danoman,

My apologies for having missed your response. I'm checking with the developer on these items, as the validation in that case does sound like a good thing to have, and I'm also unable to get the Like/Send buttons included in forum posts.

The buttons can be included manually using the [wdfb_like_button] shortcode, it's just not including them in the bbPress Forum, Topic and Reply post types.

-David

• DavidM

I think you can likely use do_shortcode to provide the shortcode sort of like a template function like so:
    <?php echo do_shortcode( 'wdfb_like_button' ) ?>

And I imagine adding it via template functions, to your theme's template files, would be the best way to do it since you could manually place the button where you want it.

I'm just not sure how bbPress does its custom post types. I'll have a look at the Twenty Ten bbPress version to see what I can find but I think that'd be a good place to start if you're interested in having a look as well.

-David

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there! :slight_smile:

Just checking in to see how things are going with this one and if you need any further help. :slight_smile:

We haven't heard from you on this thread for a while. So I'm going to presume your all fixed up now and don't need any further assistance.

However if you have more questions or need some more help then please feel free to respond in this thread or create a new one and we will be more than happy to offer assistance. :slight_smile:

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.