Limit Plugins?

I have a blog network with paid subscribers. The only complaint I have received is that users want plugins that I don't offer and they have no way to upload their own set of plugins.

I have many WPMUDev plugins available for users because they are supported. But I'm wondering if there is a disadvantage to uploading lots of plugins to the network? (The same question could apply to themes.)

I realize that ACTIVATING lots of plugins will slow sites down (individual or entire network?), but would uploading many be a problem so that each user can have the ones they'd like?

Thanks.

• aecnu

Greetings ProSapien,

But I'm wondering if there is a disadvantage to uploading lots of plugins to the network? (The same question could apply to themes.)

You actually answered this one yourself: I realize that ACTIVATING lots of plugins will slow sites down (individual or entire network?), but would uploading many be a problem so that each user can have the ones they'd like?

It could potentially bring your network to a crawl or even crash it, but this is completely dependent on which plugin of course.

The only sure answer is to upload each plugin/theme individually and see what the effect is upon it as site activated.

The reason why I mentioned themes is because themes like Salutations, Genesis, and thesis will certainly have adverse effects though probably on the individual site. And though just an individual site is visibly affected, this is really the entire network --> Your only as fast as your slowest moving part.

Cheers, Joe

• ProSapien

Joe, I didn't answer my question, so I apologize if it wasn't clear. Let me rephrase.

I know that ACTIVATING lots of plugins can slow down an INDIVIDUAL site. Here are the things I do NOT know:

(1) Will merely INSTALLING lots of plugins slow down an entire network. (I would guess not.)

(2) Will network subdomain sites that have lots of sluggish plugins ACTIVATED, ALSO slow down OTHER network subdomain sites that do NOT have those plugins ACTIVATED. (I suspect it might, but am not sure.)

Thanks.

• aecnu

Greetings ProSapien,

No problem, happy to answer your questions.

I know that ACTIVATING lots of plugins can slow down an INDIVIDUAL site. Here are the things I do NOT know:

Which in turn will slow down the entire network because it is part of the network putting drag on the entire network. A load from any site within a network puts load on the entire network the same as a PC on any network if being used on the network puts a load on the entire network.

(1) Will merely INSTALLING lots of plugins slow down an entire network. (I would guess not.)

No it should not, just the dashboard when listing the plugins would be slower but this would be expected.

(2) Will network subdomain sites that have lots of plugins that slow down INDIVIDUAL sites ACTIVATED, ALSO slow down OTHER network subdomain sites that do NOT have those plugins ACTIVATED. (I suspect it might, but am not sure.)

Absolutely it will slow down the entire network and all sites within and is logical.

Similar to a web site on a server can impact the performance of all the other web sites on the same server which can in fact affect the performance of all the servers on the network etc. etc.

There is a finite amount of resources available and for example the site itself is limited to the network resources which is limited to the hosting resources which is limited to the server resources which is limited to the LAN or Wide Area network resources etc. So it is so that one web site can have a direct effect going right up the chain. Each items overhead adds to the total performance of the top tier of the network until the resources are exhausted fro that particular item.

Thank you for the opportunity to allow me to think about the entire big picture which is not very often since support is usually concentrating on the micro picture.

Cheers, Joe

• Shawn

1) Normally, no, but it's possible.

2) Yes.

If it's all on the same site/server then a single sluggish site could bring the whole thing down. Mysql connections, php connections, memory exhaustion, a plugin or theme that sets the timeout(0) so the script runs forever (even if it's essentially dead), a script that attempts to run a large SQL statement against improperly or non-indexed data...there are lots of ways for crappy code to kill an entire server.

The bottom line is that ANY code you run COULD affect performance globally - you will need to ultimately test and examine everything you put up there to ensure the utmost performance.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.