Limit traffic or bandwidth per sub-site.

Hello

Is there any possible way to limit the amount of traffic, unique visitors, page views or bandwidth per sub-site with Pro Sites or any other plugin?

We don't want one sub-site to be able to overload the servers with high amounts of traffic, which would affect other sub-sites. If so, we'd like to have them upgrade to a higher package to gain more traffic.

Thanks

Elliot

• Jim
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi Elliot -

Are your sub sites in subdirectories or subdomains? Linux or Windows server? On your hosting provider, are you controlling your site with WHM/cPanel or some other control program?

I have some ideas, but need a bit more information.

Jim

• Elliot Sowersby
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Thanks for the replies.

@Jim

The sub-sites are subdomains.
    Linux Servers
    I am a 'reseller' currently using a shared hosting account on my reseller account.
    The site is controller with cPanel.

@Martin

Shared Hosting on a 'reseller account' that I have with a provider. (I also resell hosting).

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @Elliot Sowersby, Michael here!

@Jim and @Martin are certainly welcome to share any ideas they have, but from my own research, there doesn't look to be a plugin out there that would manage this, one would need to be developed, or some other means of limiting the amount of page views would need to be employed (I assume something server-side, which I'm inclined to think would be requiring more than shared hosting).

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Elliot Sowersby

@Michael Bissett

OK, thanks for the help.

I've thought of a few ways to do this but it would just be manual (having to check their stats manually to see if they go over the limit). This wouldn't be very effective.

If anyone has any ideas, please feel free to share.

If you have an idea that requires a VPS or greater, please let me know. We may consider changing.

• Jim

Hi Elliot -

You are in good shape using WHM/cPanel. There is bandwidth monitoring built into it, both on the basis of the VPS usage, as well as per userid usage. That's where the waters get muddied. There is no block below the account level inherent to WHM/cPanel. Also, bandwidth usage is only checked (and potentially blocked) once per day.

You can view the bandwidth usage near real time from the WHM control panel at Home »Account Information »View Bandwidth Usage. The nice part is that in this display, if you have defined sub-domains that are using bandwidth, you can see the total use for the domain, as well as the usage by sub-domain. (Screenshot). Yes, it is manual, but at least it gives you a way to check and then either caution them or suspend/shutdown their particular site.

I have a tool that is under development that does automation functions within WHM/cPanel. I am aware of where the raw data. Let me take a look at the effort and I will respond on the possibilities.

Jim

• Jim

If you have an idea that requires a VPS or greater, please let me know. We may consider changing.

Not really necessary - the power is in Linux and WHM/cPanel, it is just a matter of getting to it.

More later!

Jim

• Elliot Sowersby

@Jim

Thanks for the ideas.

Looking at the Bandwidth Usage manually, then sending a warning/suspension if they go over the limit would be the way I thinking at the moment, unless a more automatic solution can be found.

If you come up with a better solution, please get in touch. Would be much appreciated.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.