Limited size in the "Quick Presentation" of a course, not the whole text displays...

Hello,

There is a weird problem here... We wrote a complete sentence in the "Quick presentation" part of a course (in Step1)... However, when we see the course page on the front end, that sentence is cut after only a few words... (see the two screencaptures).

Since I don't see a reason for such a "feature", I assume it's a bug. How can I fix it ?

Thanks a lot for your help,

DJ

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello DJExp,

Since I don't see a reason for such a "feature", I assume it's a bug. How can I fix it ?

That is not a bug but how the template works. It is using shortcode with lenght parameter and you would need to change that parameter value. In plugin directory in includes/templates - there are two files
    - archive-courses-single.php (templates for courses list)
    - single-course-before-details.php (template for single course)

Find there [course_summary length="50"] and change 50 to higher value. It will make description longer.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Nithin

Hi DJExp,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

Should I just copy those two files with the mods in my wp-content/themes folder, just like that ?

You'll have to copy the archive-courses-single.php, and single-course-before-details.php from the plugin folder, into your theme folder, and make the following edits to these files as mentioned in the previous reply. Suppose your theme is twentysixteen, you'll have to copy these files to twentysixteen folder, located inside /wp-content/themes/.

Would highly recommend that you make changes like this to a theme using a Child theme, so that it won't be overwritten when you update your theme.

Please let us know if you still need any further assistance. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• DJExp

Hi there,

So based on your recommandation, I asked someone to create a Child theme for me, because obviously I want the mods to be updateproof.

I then moved the modified "archive-courses-single.php" and "single-course-before-details.php" within that child theme directory (wp-content/themes/acadinvest-child).

However, the modifications didn't worked, my description text is still interrupted.

Did I do something wrong ? I activated you support access. I followed all instructions and I hope I can get a fix before tomorrow afternoon, as I have a meeting with my customer. Thanks a lot for your help !

Best regards,
    DJ

• Nithin

Hi DJExp,

It seems like the support access is not enabled, could you please enable support access, so that we could give a closer look, and check how the child theme is implemented, this could also mean that your theme is limiting the summary to a shorter excerpt, to be sure, I would like to check the your theme, and its configuration.

Please let us know once you enable access, so that we could get this sorted. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello DJExp,

I'm terribly sorry, but we gave you partially correct information. Those files are templates from plugin and not from CoursePress default theme, so there is a little more work required.
    That template single-course-before-details.php has to be a part of the single-course.php template - as standalone template in theme it will be not used.
    From your parent theme I copied single.php and instead of the content I inserted single-course-before-details and saved as single-course.php.
    I'm attaching that file to my post - you need to download it, unzip and upload to your child theme directory.
    I already changed length of the course_summary to 500 in file.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• DJExp

Hi Kasia,

I did what you asked, but as soon as I uploaded your single-course.php file, it indeed displayed the whole text.

BUT it also made a lot of elements disappear, like the videos and the table of content of the course !

So I removed everything (my customer will freak out if he see half of his work disappear and I want to avoid that first and foremost). I would appreciate if you had TESTED what you recommend before advising me to do something that could potentially damage my site. After all, you have all the access, right ?

Any idea of what seems to be the problem ?

(If you need to test you can put the single-course.php file back, but please don't leave it for long period of time if you're not actively working on this issue, so that my customer doesn't freak out).

Thanks a lot for your help,

Dushan

• Nithin

Hi Dushan,

Sorry for the inconvenience, I have made the following changes to your child theme, and have added an extra template content-course-overview.php, along with single-course.php, and added some custom CSS in your style.css file. Could you please test the changes extensively, and confirm whether it works fine? You can make changes to these templates, if you are looking to customize it further.

Please let us know if you still need any changes to the added templates, I hope this helps. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• DJExp

Hi Nithin,

Thanks for your help !

There is still a few problem with the display, I guess you erased some customizations I did in the previous theme...

For example, the details appeared again below the video, and I had removed them because they aren't of any use :

I can fix that again but I need to understand where to do the CSS mods so everything is update proof and doesn't override my previous work...

I'm using the plugin "Simple Custom CSS" to have my mods update proof, is that okay ?

Basically, to sum it up, all I wanted was to not have a useless limitation of characters for the description of the unit. I wanted to remove this limitation without changing anything to my website...

Please let me know, thank you,

DJ

• Nithin

Hi DJExp,

There is still a few problem with the display, I guess you erased some customizations I did in the previous theme...

I didn't erase any customizations, these extra details were part of the template content-course-overview.php file, and hence showed it. I checked your website, and it seems like you have removed those sections , glad to know that you figured it out.

I can fix that again but I need to understand where to do the CSS mods so everything is update proof and doesn't override my previous work...

I'm using the plugin "Simple Custom CSS" to have my mods update proof, is that okay ?

Since you are already using a child theme, adding the CSS in your child themes style.css would be ideal, as Child theme is meant for such purposes, so that the changes made in your child theme doesn't get overwritten when your update your Parent theme. In case if you are not using a child theme, implementing your CSS using Simple Custom CSS plugin would be the recommended option.

Basically, to sum it up, all I wanted was to not have a useless limitation of characters for the description of the unit. I wanted to remove this limitation without changing anything to my website...

The templates added in as mentioned in my previous reply to your child theme, should do the job of not limiting the description.

Please advise, if you still have any issues related to this, so that we could get this sorted. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• DJExp

Hi Nithin,

It seems that now everything is back to normal, and the 50 characters limit is still overcame. Perfect !

One last question, you said :

Since you are already using a child theme, adding the CSS in your child themes style.css would be ideal, as Child theme is meant for such purposes, so that the changes made in your child theme doesn't get overwritten when your update your Parent theme. In case if you are not using a child theme, implementing your CSS using Simple Custom CSS plugin would be the recommended option.

Since I already started doing some mods with Simple Custom CSS plugin before I created the child theme according to your suggestion, is there a potential problem (conflict in the instructions) if I add some CSS within the child theme's css file as well ? Is it better to add all CSS instructions at the same location ?

Would you advise to copy and paste all mods done within SipleCustomCSS and add them all within the child's style.css file, and then uninstall the plugin ?

Please let me know, thanks a lot for your help !

DJ

• Nithin

Hi DJExp,

Since I already started doing some mods with Simple Custom CSS plugin before I created the child theme according to your suggestion, is there a potential problem (conflict in the instructions) if I add some CSS within the child theme's css file as well ? Is it better to add all CSS instructions at the same location ?

It would be better to add all the instructions at one location ie either in your child theme, or in your CSS plugin. Child themes purpose is to make changes to your theme without overwriting any content in your parent theme. Would recommend you to copy all the CSS changes made in your CSS plugin, and copy it into your child themes style.css file. Having the CSS plugin active simultaneously, along with your child theme is just a waste of server resource, other than that there shouldn't be any conflict, if you run the plugin, and the child theme together.

You can deactivate the plugin, and copy all the CSS into your Child themes style.css, it should work without any issue.

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.