Limitless new domain options to define yourself online

Hello All
This is not a wordpress question but I want to know your thoughs?

What do you guys think about urls like mywebsite.social or yoursite.ninja or anyotherwebsite.market

Pros and cons? Google positioning? SEO?

Thanks in advance!
Waldemar

• Tyler Postle

Hey Waldemar,

Hope you're doing well today!

I like the idea of the extension giving a more specific category to the site; I think that would make browsing for sites easier - ie. all restaurants have .rest - so if there is another business with the same name but different industry then you can clearly see which one you're after.

Which I guess is the intention of it all, but I don't see that really coming into play for a long time since everyone still goes for .com :smiley:

Maybe eventually it will require 2 extensions. .rest.ca - restaurant in Canada lol.

As for SEO, I haven't really looked much into the value of the extension SEO wise recently - I'm sure it's changed since I last researched it too. I remember .org, .net, and .com being said to hold the most authority - I feel like that's changed now. All about focusing on quality content.

Again, that's just my thoughts - I haven't done a ton of research into it or anything :slight_smile:

As for letting users define their own extensions(if that's what your title refers too) I think that would just be chaos :smiley:

Interesting question - thanks for posting Waldemar!

Cheers,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.