updating wordpress

Hello

I've changed a lot to my wordpress multisite install.

Now, if I will update wordpress to a newer version in the future, a lot will be overwritten I guess.

Now I asked myself if it would be bad if I would decide to never update wordpress install (eg wordpress 4.0) in the future? Cause I'm quite glad with this one.

Thanks in advance

• Mark Wallace

They say it’s best to update to the most recent release. I am still on WP 3.3, once 3.4.1 is released I will then update one website and test all my plugins and themes that I use on other websites before updating them. I keep a domain just for this. You have some option, even more than the ones I know about. Get a cheap domain like .in, they are on sell for under $5.00 / 5 USD. Then upload your website to it, and always update it first, and see what happens. Also for themes you can make child themes that will not be affected by updates. Plugin that have been hacked you can save to a CD or USB flash and uploaded after an update. I am sure timothy will come in here with more options than Starbucks has coffee. lol I tell ya he’s going to teach me about data bases. “He just doesn’t know it yet.” lol <<hint to timothy, database tutorial??? Please!

• 3SixtyEvolve

Hi @marchel

Thank you for being a member of our Community.

I'm a firm believer of upgrading WordPress on a regular basis and here are my reasons:

For security reasons – Keeps your site safe from hackers.

For new features – Keeping WordPress updated will help you gain the latest features available. And sometimes those new features bring more usability to your site.

Routine – Updates are not only created to keep your website secure, but also to improve its usability and performance from you’re end. If you want the most efficient WordPress account, you’re going to need to keep up with the updates.

Also, you should always make sure that you back up all of your WordPress files such as themes, plugins, and posts before going through any sort of update. All updates should be safe, but is never a bad idea to back up your information just in case something goes wrong.

The most important thing to remember is that this will save you time in the end. Although it may be a bit of a pain at first, trying to get rid of a hacker or a never-ending line of spam comments is far more time consuming. Keeping your WordPress account updated also allows for you to have the best site possible, and why wouldn’t you want that?

(And the advice that @MTB1701 gave is good as well. When new WP updates comes in, test it on a test site that you use only for this purpose - some call it a sandbox, I like to call it my test lab :grinning:

Well, enough said. If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to be in touch.

Have a good weekend!

Gina

• marchel

Hmm. Yeah. Good advice to duplicate it on another cheap domain (although .info are even cheaper than .in I guess)

Though I've done a lot of work to delete/adapt all kinds of things, like deleting the screen options, custom language adaptations, changing about page, erasing all other possible links to wordpress,... let's hope a wordpress update doesn't overwrite too much settings. :slight_smile:

Thanks for your support.

• 3SixtyEvolve

You're welcome @marchel

I keep a little 'black' book with all the places where I had to make custom code adjustments, especially if those are wiped out by updates. Although it's a schlep to go back and change files again, I would rather know that my site is secure and spend time re-doing those changes, thank risk a hacker's attack.

Everyone has their own way of working. At the end of the day, find what works best for you :slight_smile:

Enjoy the rest of your day!

Gina

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.