Link to homepage of ONE subsite broken

So I don’t know whether here is where I should be posting – but I need some help – I’m stuck …

My site clothncraft.com.au has been fcoming along swimingly … however I’ve just discovered that the link to one of the subsites is broken – clothncraft.com.au/kingbilly just takes me to a page of:

Index of /kingbilly

Parent Directory

cgi-bin/

Apache/2.2.22 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.22 OpenSSL/1.0.0-fips DAV/2 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 mod_jk/1.2.32 Server at clothncraft.com.au Port 80

however all the links within that page (eg. http://www.clothncraft.com.au/kingbilly/about/) works fine – it’s just the homepage. All my other subsites work fine.

I’m halfway through setting up the global category stuff as described here – https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/global-product-categories-solved-a-tutorial

I had gotten up to the “Step 3. Remove the +Add New Product Category link” and had installed those files. It appeared to work fine but it’s just now I’ve realised that the link to the subsite homepage wasn’t working. I don’t know if that’s relevant but thought I’d put it in just in case.

WordPress version – 3.3.2

I find it weird that it’s just one subsite that’s broken.

Anyone have any idea what I’ve done and how to fix it?

• clothncraft
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

something else – someone had put a trackback comment on two blog posts – it looks like spam – I’ve put them in the trash folder – could the trackbacks have done something? I didn’t think they could have but I’m just trying to think of everything that’s changed since it was last working fine.

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Hi there!

Sorry you are making such an unsettling discovery!

Can you try resetting your permalinks and see if that helps?

Just a simple change of permalink, then save and then you can change it back to your original settings :slight_smile:

Let’s see if that helps

Best,

Kimberly

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

@kim, nice thought, Recently I was stuck in a situation when I was not at all able to resolve the subsites on my blog and also was unable to register for new ones using my main site, and a simple change >> Save >> Revert >> Save to the permalink settings fixed the issue.

@cnc : Try once and see if that helps !

Cheers

PC

• clothncraft
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Ok … so now I feel half incredibly relieved and half incredibly daft…

Long story short – IT IS FIXED! YAAAAAAAY!

But in case someone else out there is as daft as me and this happens to them … I will describe what had happened… It wasn’t a wordpress issue at all…

A while ago I had been playing around with domain redirects on my cpanel. My question was whether I could create a subomain of the website kingbilly.clothncraft.com.au that would redirect to the dynamically created directory of clothncraft.com.au/kingbilly and then the website would function as a directory – but of course that didn’t work (however I think it SHOULD be possible – I just don’t know how) so I deleted the redirect and I thought that was the end of it.

Now in my research trying to figure out my issue above, I came across various forums with folk discussing having directories with the same name as their wordpress subsite and that breaking the site but I had thought to myself “I didn’t make a directory so it shouldn’t exist” and left it at that.

I didn’t realise that cpanel had been “intelligent” and created a directory as part of the redirect.

Deleted directory and it’s all fixed!!

Thanks for your time folks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.