Links not protected ?

Hi

If i send the link of a post protected by a category to a no member, by clicking on this link he can read the post ???

i have fogotten something or it’s dont works?

i think it’s dont works….

• ClvrTv
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I’m having the same issue. On a test site – the main loop is blank for non members. But there are links to posts in the footer (for testing purposes). If a direct link to a post (not included in the Free category) is clicked or accessed, it does NOT correctly send to the registration / protected page ???

So, basically that content is not protected. Why?

Help?

http://test2.clvrdev.com/

• ClvrTv

Oh…. and one thing I forgot to add – the instructions say that the normal behavior when you activate and then enable this plugin (before setting up categories and a free level and a stranger setting) is that all content should be protected. This was not the case for me. Activating and Enabling the plugin had zero affect on the content of my test site. Weird?

Thanks!

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

@stacy The plugin is always shown, when selected, at the top of the sidebar on the right hand side. In this case, for example, it’s Membership. If you have feedback about the forum please post it in the feedback section.

@clvrtv You should double-check that your levels and subscriptions are set up correctly. If you’re still having issues please start a new thread so we can deal with your issue properly.

it’s the same on my website everybody who knows the url can access to the single post…

That suggests you don’t have the single post protected. What are the positive rules in your stranger level?

Phil

• visualapproch

I have 3 categories

Public (stranger)

Membres

Bureau

The positives Rules for Public (stranger)

Categories > Public checked

The positives Rules for Membres

Categories > Membres checked

The positives Rules for Bureau

Categories > Membres checked

Categories > Bureau checked

The post has only one category : Membres

Members only can see the post on the web site

but everybody can see the post if they know the url

I dont use single post protected because i will have a lot of post and i read in plugin use :

Post content is protected using WordPress categories. This is the simplest method of marking specific posts as being free or members only.

It is also a lot less tedious than controlling the access to individual posts, as it makes the bulk protection of whole groups of content a less tiresome proposition.

if you want i can send you by private message the link to the website (it was under construction)

• ClvrTv

thanks @phil. That’s the problem though – I set up my subscriptions and levels by following the installation & use instructions provided – which is why I posted here, because the behavior I was seeing did not match the expected results described by the instructions. For example, I knew there was a problem at the beginning when I both activated and enabled the membership plugin and nothing changed. According to the instructions that should have protected all content on the site by default before configuring specific levels and subscriptions.

My stranger level has the positive rule of access to the Free category, but there are no posts in that category, so basically should not (currently) have access to anything. I was trying to start simple and validate that the basics worked before building everything out. Still not there yet. But I’ll do a little more testing and if I’m still having issues will start a new thread for it. Just thought it might be related to this thread since it sounded like the exact same symptom: a stranger / non-member who should theoretically have no access like you state above does indeed have access via direct link. Thanks.

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya,

Just checking if it was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, no need to reply, that’s great news.

If not, could you let us know by re-opening this topic, and we’ll get onto it and helping you out asap!

Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Thanks,

Phil

• visualapproch

it’s not resolved at all

i must used both the member category and a negative rules to protect the post

if i use only the category i can open the link when i paste it in an other browser in stranger mode.

I have already my problem with the masked address of download files, but i think i know why :

i use the links outside the_content in a custompress file, and when the link is inside the_content it’s seem’s working …. but i need it outside…

Thank’s

• @wealthcop
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I’m also waiting for the fix. Others have been waiting for months.

The instructions are if you have more than 25 posts, you should protect the category. But when you only protect the category, anyone with a link to an individual post CAN SEE EVERYTHING.

Please help.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.