Links on Unit List Page/Unit Archive Page do not work

The links on the unit list page do not work for my course in Coursepress Pro.

I have tested by deactivating all of the plugins except Coursepress and reverting to the default wordpress twentyfifteen theme, but the problem remains. I have version 1.2.4.4 installed.

• Patrick

Hi there @chris_behnke

I hope you're well today!

Can you please try refreshing your permalinks by setting them to anything other that what they are now, then save. Then set them back to what you had before.

Note that the /%postname%/ option usually works best in most setups.

Please also ensure that there is indeed a trailing slash at the end of the permalink otion you have selected. This is good:
    /%postname%/
    ...this is not good, and will break stuff:
    /%postname%

• Black Fox

I did as you suggested and swapped the permalinks back and forth. No improvement.

I also did a little digging into the css and it comes back saying there is a "locked" layer covering the units. When I remove the layer the units link back to the "units" page (basically refreshes the page).

I have attacked the CSS that I see when I inspect the page. My theory is that there is a setting of some kind that does this.

• Michael Bissett

Hey @chris_behnke,

I see what you mean here, but it's definitely curious, as there isn't anything set inside your install that would lock them like this. I even tried creating a test course inside your site, and the test unit there was locked too. I was able to access the units though from the Course Overview.

I'd like to do some deeper digging here, could you please send in the following:

- Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Michael Bissett
    - Do not include anything else in the subject line, doing so may delay our response due to how email filtering works.
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include WordPress admin access details (login address, username & password)
    - Include SFTP log-in details (hostname, username & password)
    - Include any relevant URLs for your site

On the contact form, select "I have a different question", this ensures it comes through and gets assigned to me.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Thanks a bunch! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Michael Bissett

Hey @chris_behnke, my apologies for the delay here, we've had quite the deluge of support tickets lately!

It seems like we'll need to call our SLS staff in for this one, as this looks to be a deeper issue than what I'm finding so far. Even after trying the following:

- Switching to the Twenty Fourteen theme (just to be thorough)
    - Disabling the other plugins on your site again (just to be thorough)
    - Testing with both the latest CoursePress, as well as the second latest version

I'm still seeing that units section being locked. :disappointed:

Thanks for your patience here in the meantime! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Black Fox

Michael,

We're very anxious to re-install a newer version of the plugin as the older versions have their own bugs. Any news at all on this bug? We continue to love Coursepress and the assistance we've received. As of now we have about a dozen sites running or about to be running the plugin. We're also making plans to upgrade our sites currently running LearnDash with Coursepress. I guess we're just really putting the software through its paces.

Thanks for your continued attention to this matter.

Dave Felton
    Choose Growth IS

• Black Fox

Hi Michael,

I was able to figure out why the courses were getting locked. In directory: "/wp-content/mu-plugin/coursepress-color.php"

The file at the end (and attached) was left over after a previous request to get the Progress Knobs to have their color changed. This left over file had no use and was put there by whoever looked into that issue. After I removed that file from the server and updated coursepress to the newest version the units were no longer locked.

So hopefully that helps you diagnose exactly what happened. Having this specific file in the mu-plugin directory.

This was the first code given to me to color the Knobs and it was put in the Child Themes functions.php file:

add_action('wp_footer', 'custom_dial_colors', 100);

function custom_dial_colors() {
        $script = <<< EOT
                <script type="text/javascript">
                jQuery(document).ready(function($) {
                if ( $( ".knob" ).length ) {
                    jQuery(".knob").trigger(
                                'configure',
                                {
                                    "fgColor":"#FFFFFF",
                                    "bgColor":"#000000"
                                }
                            );
                    }
                });
                </script>
    EOT;
        echo $script;
    }

So this code alongside that file seem to have been the cause of the locked units.

• Michael Bissett

Hey @chris_behnke! :slight_smile:

The file at the end (and attached) was left over after a previous request to get the Progress Knobs to have their color changed. This left over file had no use and was put there by whoever looked into that issue. After I removed that file from the server and updated coursepress to the newest version the units were no longer locked.

I'm not seeing that file that you mentioned here, perhaps you attached the .php file directly? Usually, you'll want to first zip up the .php file, and then upload the .zip file to the thread (that tends to get it uploaded properly).

Regarding that code snippet that was in your functions.php, I inserted it into my site as a mu-plugin, and it seemed to work just fine for me. I'm thinking that the coursepress-color.php file that was there before seemed to have been the cause.

Glad to hear that you got this part figured out, and thanks for sharing what got things working here! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael