Links Open In New Browser

Hi guys,

Im hoping you can force all your links to open in the same window so I dont have a dozen tabs open up when I surf around your website.

I notice it mostly in the alerts. When a new one turns the bell yellow and I click on that notification, it opens in a new window. It happens elsewhere but I forget right now and Ill report when I find.

Thanks,
Mike

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Mike,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

The notification links open in new tabs indeed and that's in order to not get you out of whatever you are currently doing on our website when you check notifications. I just browsed around our site a bit more in order to find some other links of that kind but I must say I didn't spot anything that would open unnecessary new windows. However, as I'm a staff member I may just be used to some behavior that's not that convenient for you :slight_smile:

I'll appreciate if you share some more examples of such links with me here and I'll pass that to our UX guys for consideration.

Thank you for your suggestions!

Best regards,
    Adam

• Mike D

Hi Adam,

It also happens when support people post links in a support topic.

But new tabs from the notifications are a big deal IMO. I use it frequently so there are frequently many WPMUDEV tabs open. I dont think internal links should ever open in a new window. If I wanted to stay on the same page I wouldnt click in the first place.

But thats just me, I guess most others that need two windows open at the same time and do not know how to right click links to open in new tabs would find this useful.

• Dimitris

Hey there Mike D,

hope you're doing good and don't mind chiming in! :slight_smile:

It also happens when support people post links in a support topic.

That is true indeed. I guess that here are more appropriate as we and you are keep posting external links most of the time. Notification links may be wiser to be internal though as most of the time they redirect in our own site.

Appreciate your feedback, take care,
    Dimitris :slight_smile:

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Mike D!

Thanks for your response. I'll pass that to "higher authorities" for further consideration. I cannot guarantee any changes regarding this as this is more of a "design/usability" decision rather than a bug of any kind and I believe that there's a reason for this, however your - as a WPMU DEV member - opinion is of a great value to us so I hope that suggestion will be taken into account.

Thank you for sharing your remarks with us.

Kind regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.