Listing Reviews not funtioning in 2.x

Ive searched the forums for answers to this but cant find anyting, I might suggest to you guys that you somehow separate Directory1.x posts and Directory 2.x posts, as now, 1.x posts seem to have little or nothing to do with the new version of the plugin, and it becomes confusing which version people are discussing.

My issie is the fact that I am unable to add a review to the listing. My site is still being built but Im happy to post some links to show you whats going on

http://houstonhomeandlandsource.com

If you click on a buisiness listing, lets say the sub level “barns” under “Construction” – it takes you to the following link:

http://houstonhomeandlandsource.com/listings/custom-built-barns/

ok so far so good, it needs a little cleaning up but at least its there.

OK so now were on the listing page, it has a link that says “No Reviews>>” but no9thing that says “Add A Review”.

When I click on “No Reviews” it doesnt go anywhere, it only returns back to that page with the address

http://houstonhomeandlandsource.com/listings/custom-built-barns/#respond

still with no option to add a review. Ive tried this as admin, and I ve created a dunny account in WP as a user and I get the same end result.

All the listings have “Allow Comments” ON in the dashboard area.

what am I missing here? Also, does the user need to be a WP user or do they have to sign up thru the Directory plugin somehow?

Roz

• neuroticartist
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

oh yes, ok so its on the page before its own listing page, Im sure I could move some code over to that page to have it show on the listing page yes? Problem is, it still takes me to this link

http://houstonhomeandlandsource.com/listings/custom-built-barns/#respond

where I am unable to actually write a listing. clicking on that link takes you to the listing page, where there still isnt any option to add a review. not sure why or what to do here :disappointed:

• neuroticartist

yes comments are on, I added a plugin like you advised to give different users different options and check it to make sure directory users can add. Ive double checked everything, definitely could use some developer help on this, thanks! let me know, I can provide ftp access or admin access of needed.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings,

@roz – thank you for your patience waiting on the new version of this plugin from the newly assigned developer Arnold whom is working this in order as it should be starting with fixing Custom Press which is the interactive base with both Classifieds and Directory. For once in my opinion this fixing these plugins is finally being tackled in the correct manor by creating a solid base (Custom Press) instead of mixing and matching code as was done previously causing massive problems and conflicts between all three plugins.

@arnold well sir you have been kicking butt with the Custom Press plugin –> Thank you, it has made life much easier and many members are extremely happy. Looking forward to your release of the new Directory plugin because if your past coding holds the line as anticipated, this plugin may actually work correctly without the need for patting your head and rubbing your belly at the same time while standing on one foot.

Cheers, Joe

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Hi Roz!

Just wondering if I can offer you a quick plugin that may help with hanging out in threads like these :slight_smile:

It seems that Arnold is currently working on Directory and we ALL are waiting on a new release :slight_smile: (NO PRESSURE ARNOLD!) hehe

If you’d like you can download our updater plugin and you will be notified as soon as a new verison comes out (if you have it installed)

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/update-notifications

That way you can feel safe closing threads like this without worrying about missing anything :slight_smile:

Best,

Kimberly

• neuroticartist

Thanks for the update, but I dont have Custom Press installed. TO be honest, Im not touching this plugin in its current state with a 10ft. pole, I am looking for something else, I will, however, keep my eyes open for your final rebuild and hopefully, this plugin will once again be useful

• neuroticartist

heya, I want to bump this old ticket back up to the top, I have installed the latest Directory 2.1.1.4 and this is still an issue, although now on the category list of business listings, there isnt any “add a review” like there used to be. Still, like before, when you click on the listings page, you have the option to rate it via the starts but no “write a review”. if you click on “no review” it takes you into a #respond loop, so its basically ineffective.

Thoughts on how I can make reviews possible on the listing pages?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Roz,

I did not have them present either until I went to the listing and clicked on allow comments.

Here is a listing without comments enabled – notice no review form:

http://directory.aecnuwpmu.us/listings/pjs-restaurant/

And here is a listing that has comments enabled:

http://directory.aecnuwpmu.us/listings/brave-creative-designing/

Note the review form. Perhaps you may want to create the first review?

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Member!

Cheers, Joe

• neuroticartist

Hi Joe, no, comments are checked in both the dashboard settings and the listings pages when I created them. Yours looks very different since you are using the included theme and I am just using the shortcodes.

Anything else I should check? When you click on “no revues” it gives you the #respond links. of course since its a # its not going to take you anywhere.

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

@neuroticartist

It’s your theme again. When a single directory listing is displayed it looks for several possibilities to use as templates for displaying the content. Goes like this

Search for

1. single-listing-[listing-slug].php //single-listing with posts slug appended

2. single-listing-[listing-id].php //single-listing with posts id number appended

3. single-listing.php //Just single-listing

Failing that it uses the page.php template and inserts our own builtin layout which comes from “ui-front/general/single.php”.

In your case none of the custom templates were created so it defaulted to the Page template and displayed our default layout.

Comments are NOT part of this layout because this is just the listing content. In your theme, comments are not included in your page.php template so it doesn’t display comments.

What you would have to do is make a copy of your themes single.php in your themes directory and rename it “single-listing.php”. This will display the basic listing content and you will see Leave a reply which is were the review would go.

You won’t have ratings and author info because your theme doesn’t know about them. You will need to customize single-listing.php to add those custom items. You can use the single.php template in ui-front as a guide to how to add those pieces.

Also your themes comments.php doesn’t make comments in the modern WordPress manner so your “Leave Reply” will not be automatically translated to “Write a Review” which is what would happen on a modern WordPress theme.

To see what I mean try putting in 2011 theme and take a look at a listing. Their page.php supports comments and will automaticaly handle re-labeling “reply” to “review”.

I’m afraid with your older style theme your going to have to do some work to get it like you want.

• neuroticartist

I upgraded the theme to its most recent version and there is no change. ugggg. Im sure I will be bugging you for additional assistance to get those things working, I know its the theme and not directory so I appreciate that your helping me out with this stuff.

the official word from Templatic support was (unsurprisingly) “You changed the format of the theme by adding the plugin, so you no longer are within the bounds of support”

This has been the most frustrating project ever! hopefully I can get to the end of the tunnel

• neuroticartist

Hi Arnold, I created a “single-listing.php so I am over the initial hump of a comment form on the page (it now shows).

Im looking at the code for that file and comparing it to the code for the single.php template in ui-front folder. they are vastly different. Specifically what sections and I looking for?

Thank you again for your help on this!

• neuroticartist

ok since the comments feature isnt used on the real estate listings portion of the theme to any real degree and the single-listing.php isnt looked for by the theme either (it uses single-property.php) I went ahead and just copied the code from single-listing and comments php files in the Directory theme template over and used the code in its entirety.

Smart? maybe not but it seems to be working, I guess I will know when I go back to the Real Estate and Property side of it and see if something isnt right. But for my best guess, it didnt have anything in particular in the comments.php so perhaps this little bit of mad hacker copy and paste will work.

… before posting this I checked the properties pages of the theme, and it seems that the layout is showing as “write a review” which honestly is just fine by me, it will allow the end user to write a review about the property. so hopefully I managed to get around this using pages from the directory theme :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.