Little bit of help with subscriptions please

Hi all!

I need a bit of guidance from experienced users of the Membership plugin to properly set up subscription plans. I've got 3 access levels set up (no problems there):
#1 allows access to all public content,
#2 includes premium category access, private BP messaging, and ability to post to the site blog,
#3 adds unlimited BP group and blog creation capability.

What has me a bit confused are the "Membership levels" and "Starting Point" descriptions in the Subscription Plans screen:

"Membership levels: These are the levels that are part of this subscription and the order a user will travel through them."
"Starting Point: A new signup for this subscription will start here and immediately pass to the next membership level listed below."

I gather from the above that each subscription should contain a sequence of multiple access levels.

But what I would like is a subscription plan for each individual access level as follows:
Plan "A" = free access to level 1 indefinitely or until upgraded to Plan "B" or Plan "C".
Plan "B" = paid access to level 2 for 6 or 12 months (serial).
Plan "C" = paid access to level 3 for 6 or 12 months (serial).

Could someone guide me as to how I should set up the subscriptions in this scenario, please? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

• DavidM

Hi pcwriter,

I'll gladly see how I can help with that.

Plan "A" = free access to level 1 indefinitely or until upgraded to Plan "B" or Plan "C".

The best method I can imagine to set that up would be to use just the #1 level and specify it as Infinite. Members should be able to upgrade from the Free gateway in that case.

Plan "B" = paid access to level 2 for 6 or 12 months (serial).
    Plan "C" = paid access to level 3 for 6 or 12 months (serial).

There are similar and basically, the best way to set that up would be to create 4 separated plans like so:
    Plan B - 6 month -> use level #2 with a 6 month Serial duration
    Plan B - 12 month -> use level #2 with a 1 year Serial duration
    Plan C - 6 month -> use level #3 with a 6 month Serial duration
    Plan C - 12 month -> use level #3 with a 1 year Serial duration

One thing to bear in mind, you may need to specify 1-year as opposed to 12-months in the serial duration setup, as I think PayPal may require that. It's safest to use the Year duration in that case.

How would that work for you?

-David

• Patrick

@DavidM

Hi David, thanks for a speedy reply! And yes, that's exactly the setup I had in mind. But I've got a couple more questions that need a bit of clarity in my sometimes cloudy head...

1. If I understand you correctly, each subscription plan only needs one access level assigned to it, not multiple levels as implied by the "Starting Point" description, right? If that's the case, then that description could use a revision 'cuz it's what got me confused.

2. As I'm offering both free and paid subscriptions, I should use the "PayPal Single Payments Gateway" as it handles them both internally?

3. I've added [accountform] and [renewform] shortcodes to my Account page but don't see any options to upgrade to the other plans that I've set up as per points #1 and #2 above using a newly registered test user.

4. When visiting my account page logged in as admin (thus full access), it looks like I'm subscribed to both paid plans and can "upgrade" to both of the other two. ?? (I've only set up yearly paid plans). Attached is a screenshot of the account page when logged in as admin.

If you'd like to check out the account page as a test user, login to http://kwitterz.com with
    user: [removed]
    pass: [removed]
    Then click the "Membership" button at the top right of any page.

Again, thanks for your help!

• Mason

Hiya pcwriter,

Apologies as this one seems to have fallen through. Let me address your concerns:

1. If I understand you correctly, each subscription plan only needs one access level assigned to it, not multiple levels as implied by the "Starting Point" description, right? If that's the case, then that description could use a revision 'cuz it's what got me confused.

Only one level is required per subscription, but multiple levels are allowed to create a 'drip' system where more content is available over the life of the subscription.

2. As I'm offering both free and paid subscriptions, I should use the "PayPal Single Payments Gateway" as it handles them both internally?

If you have a free level, you should assign it as such in the Membership>Options area. There's no need to sign up for a subscription at this level. If you want to provide an initial free-level and then require payment, you'll need to use the 'free' gateway.

3. I've added [accountform] and [renewform] shortcodes to my Account page but don't see any options to upgrade to the other plans that I've set up as per points #1 and #2 above using a newly registered test user.

What do you have set for # of days until renewal/upgrade forms become available? It's not available instantaneously.

4. When visiting my account page logged in as admin (thus full access), it looks like I'm subscribed to both paid plans and can "upgrade" to both of the other two. ?? (I've only set up yearly paid plans).

It looks like you have the renewal form twice on there, but I'm not totally sure. Is this still an issue?

Again, apologies for the slow response time. If you want to go through this further, simply re-open this thread and let me know where we're at with this.

Thanks!

• Patrick

Hi Mason,

Thanks for getting back to me on this.

Over the last few weeks, I've been "busy" with Christmas, working on / playing with / discovering other WP stuff, as well as starting a new class at university (gotta stay current with mental health issues in my line of work!), so haven't really devoted much time to Membership for awhile.

From your post however, points 1 and 2 are much clearer now. My confusion on those issues may have been the root cause of the problems laid out in points 3 and 4. I'll try the setup again and get back to you on this.

Thanks again!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.