Little buddypress help is needed

Dear friend, I have installed buddypress on forex.work
But the registration is blank ,is there any short code that I need to inside the page to show the default registration option?

Can buddypress be responsible for slower site speed?

Thanks
Monsur

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Monsur,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I visited your site and clicked on "Register" link on the top bar. I was taken to the "forex.work/register/" site and a regular BuddyPress registration form showed up. Is this the page where you don't see the form?

If so, try clearing all caches if there's any caching plugin installed and also clear your browser cache. Make also sure please that you are checking that page as a visitor (not logged in user).

If this is not the page in question and I should be looking somewhere else, let me know please.

As for BuddyPress slowing site down. Each and every plugin that you use affects that a little bit though in case of some the difference in speed would be not noticeable at all and in case of some other it may be significant. BuddyPress is not a big "resource eater" even though it's a complex plugin so it shouldn't slow your site down significantly. The simplest check though would be to disable the plugin temporarily and see how it changes loading speed. If it's slowing it down, it's possible that this is due to some additional settings/plugins or just specific to your site and we could then investigate it.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Abu Monsur!

I did notice two join/login links there too. The one on a top bar, on black background, is the one that leads to the BuddyPress registration form and it works fine.

The one on the red background though opens up some custom popup login/register form. Does this form come from the theme or does it come from some other plugin? I'm asking because I'd like to make sure first how it should all work. I mean: the registration link on black background is the one that leads to the working BP registration form. It may be difficult to put it in that popup without some customization of the theme so we need to first establish some "common ground" on the goal to achieve and then I'll check the site again and see how we could do this :slight_smile:

Best regards
    Adam

• Abu Monsur

Thank you Sir, you are so thorough in help and I am grateful to you.
    ''The one on the red background though opens up some custom popup login/register form. Does this form come from the theme or does it come from some other plugin?''

It came from the theme - themeforest.net/item/newspaper/5489609

I am sorry that I don't have good tech skill and so your help is highly appreciated

Thanks
    Monsur

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Monsur!

Therefore we need to tweak the "Sign In/Join" link on that red background to lead to forex.work/register page instead of opening the popup, is that correct?

First step would be to simply edit the main menu. Go to the "Appearance -> Menus" page please and select that top menu for editing and then from "Pages" drag and drop the "Register" page onto it - put it as a first item so it would show up before the "About Us" item. Give it a name of "Register" or "Sign in/ Join" (whatever you wish) and save the menu.

Next step is to remove that default "Sign in/Join" item. While it's not a part of the menu there should be some option in Theme Settings to disable it but I'm not sure about that because I don't have access to that theme. If there's no such option though, it can simply be hidden with this CSS:

.top-header-menu .td-login-modal-js {display:none;}

I believe your theme include some "Custom CSS" option in Theme Settings so you could put that code there. If there's no place for it you could use Simple Custom CSS plugin and put it there.

I hope that helps. In case you still needed assistance with this just let me know please and also grant me a support access to your site as described in this article:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Best regards,
    Adam

• Abu Monsur

Thank you dear Sir, You gave me courage ,thank you
    There is a page called activate , should we delete it?
    I put the code as you directed and it worked ,thanks
    But default sign in and register button is still being shown ,how to hide them?
    There are some menu items shown , should I make them sub menus under a main menu like Community or pls suggest a word under which they are more suitable

Activity
    Notifications
    Settings
    Log Out

Or do they not need to add to menu?

How to get another option called follow ?

Will users be able to create blog post? If so,they should not be auto published as I like to show only quality post on the homepage ,pls give me some ideas about this

For a final check I have enabled the support access

God bless you for the all the help

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Monsur!

There is a page called activate , should we delete it?

No, don't remove it please. This page is an integral part of BP and is used for user account activation. It doesn't have to be linked to from anywhere but it should exist on your site.

I put the code as you directed and it worked ,thanks
    But default sign in and register button is still being shown ,how to hide them?

Are you referring to those "Log in" and "Register" links in a top bar - on a black background? If you wish to hide these links only, use this CSS:

#wp-admin-bar-bp-login, #wp-admin-bar-bp-register {display:none;}

If you wish however to hide that entire black top bar, please go to your site's dashboard to the "Settings -> BuddyPress" page -> "Options" tab and un-check the "Show the Toolbar for logged out users" options (then save settings).

There are some menu items shown , should I make them sub menus under a main menu like Community or pls suggest a word under which they are more suitable

There's no need to. Those items are automatically available for users after they log in. For logged in user the toolbar (that black top bar on top of the page) shows up and after clicking on their usernames in top right corner, they have access to all BuddyPress pages that you listed.

You may however put these pages into any menu/sub-menu if you wish. That's a matter of what do you prefer :slight_smile:

How to get another option called follow ?

I'm not sure what would you wish to achieve exactly so could you please elaborate a bit on this?

Will users be able to create blog post? If so,they should not be auto published as I like to show only quality post on the homepage ,pls give me some ideas about this

That depends on a user-role that's assigned to a user. By default all users that register on site are assigned the basic "Subscriber" role and it doesn't let them create posts. There are however different user roles available so if you wish to let selected user create posts you can change his/her user-role by editing his/her profile. You will find more information on WP user roles and their capabilities here:

https://codex.wordpress.org/Roles_and_Capabilities

Best regards,
    Adam

• Abu Monsur

Cordial thanks again for the great tips.You are a great mentor.
    It worked again.

(1) The theme log in option showed a custom log in box to put user name and password like the screenshot attached here with while clicking ''log in'' option but the present log in option redirects to the default log in url .
    How to stop the redirection and open a log in box on the home page? (It may be called ajax , not sure )
    (2) By follow I mean a feature where member can follow each other like the follow feature in facebook.
    There is a plugin, I see
    https://en-ca.wordpress.org/plugins/buddypress-followers/

Will it make the site load slower?
    Thanks
    Monsur

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Monsur!

(1) The theme log in option showed a custom log in box to put user name and password like the screenshot attached here with while clicking ''log in'' option but the present log in option redirects to the default log in url .
    How to stop the redirection and open a log in box on the home page? (It may be called ajax , not sure )

What you refer to as a "default log in url" is a BuddyPress registration form, the one that you initially asked about. I don't think it would be possible to put that form in that popup that was showing up from the theme.

If you wish to put the BuddyPress registration form in a popup that would be much more complex and would require quite a bit of custom development. That''s a bit outside of the scope of that forum so you may want to ask for a custom development on our "Jobs & Pro" job board (please note: no WPMU DEV staff involved!) here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/

(2) By follow I mean a feature where member can follow each other like the follow feature in facebook.
    There is a plugin, I see
    https://en-ca.wordpress.org/plugins/buddypress-followers/

I'm not familiar with this plugin but since it's a free one, just give it a try and you'll see if it slows down your site or not. If it does, we'll either try to speed it up or look for another solution :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Monsur!

Usually BuddyPress registration form takes over the standard WP registration form. Your theme seems to be using its own solution so I think nothing wrong will happen except that no of the Extended Profile Fields will be available during registration.

If a user successfully registers on the site where the BuddyPress is installed, he/she always gets BuddyPress profile regardless of whatever form was used for registration.

Kind regard,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.