Live Stream Widget says blogs published on indexed site, not original blog

Hello :slight_smile:

I’m having an issue with the Live Stream Widget, after setting up another plugin to create a feed of all blogs posted on the network. After setting up this central repository (http://my.yarraprojectzero.org.au/stories) all newly posted blog posts are being displayed by Live Stream as being published on that site, rather than the author’s individual blog.

I understand this is likely a problem with the other plugin (http://wordpress.org/support/plugin/wordpress-mu-sitewide-tags) but I’m hoping one of you can point how Live Stream Widget decides where to get a published blog from so I can figure out why this is happening.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya,

Greetings and thanks posting on the forums.

I understand this is likely a problem with the other plugin (http://wordpress.org/support/plugin/wordpress-mu-sitewide-tags)

Do things appear normal while you disable that plugin ?

I’m hoping one of you can point how Live Stream Widget decides where to get a published blog from so I can figure out why this is happening.

For this, I have called our lead developer Paul to provide his comments as I couldn’t find my way through the code :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers, PC

• deanhewson
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thanks PC.

Yes, there is no problem when the Sitewide plugin is disabled; the problem is Live Stream Widget thinks the post on /stories that Sitewide has duplicated from an author’s orginal post on their own site is the one worth trumpeting in the widget, instead of saying it was published on the author’s site.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@deanhewson,

How do you have the Live Stream widget configured? Specifically I’m interested in how you have the ‘What content to show’ defined.

If you are using local then Live Stream simple queries your local Posts. If however you are using any other option then these rely on the Post Indexer and Comment Indexer plugins. These two Indexer plugins are really the workhorses of the process. They collect the content into a centralized set of tables that Live Stream queries.

• deanhewson
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Ah, thanks Paul – my best bet might be to tell Post Indexer to skip a blog ID then?

Here’s a screenshot of how I have the Live Stream Widget configured:

Settings

After updating to the latest version of Live Stream Widget, the behaviour has improved somewhat but is still confusing. It is now showing posts as coming from both the generated page and the original page though not every time.

Output

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@deanhewson,

Not sure on the exact resolution. I’m not familiar with the sitewide-tags. But from reading the plugin description it wounds like it is actually a duplicate as far as functionality to our Post Indexer plugin. The Post Indexer will intercept every Publish action on all posts for all sites. Thne is will update a set of central tables (wp_site_posts, wp_site_terms and wp_site_term_relationships. Within there tables is the logic to relate the posts to all the post categories and post tags taxonomies for your sites. Not perfect but works mostly.

So sounds like the sitewide-tags works similarly. Somehow in reading your comments it sounds like the posts are getting duplicated. Not sure where this happens. But the Live Stream Widget just reads from the Post Indexer tables.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings deanhewson,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.