load Slideshow from Custom field

Hi there,

I installed and configured CustomPress and it works very good. Now I want to add pictures from the WP Media and show them as a slideshow.

I use Visual Composer and can load a Posts Slider from there. If possible it would be great to load this (or a similar) Slider from a custom field.

Thank you very much and best regards.

All the best for 2014!

Steffen

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @sdwebdesign

Welcome to WPMU community!

I hope you are well today and thanks for asking the question.

You can use slider plugin for wordpress, there are a lot out there :slight_smile:

About Visual Composer, it’s a codecanyon product so I can’t test it. If you want just a slider, I will recommend to use a stand-alone slideshow plugin.

Cheers

Ash

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Ahh I see now. I am afraid, I don’t think it is easily possible. As the value of custom fields are not shortcode enabled.

Well, you may do one thing. I am not sure if you are open to code. This is just a suggestion, I didn’t try it yet.

If you show the custom field with coding, then you can get that custom field value. Then you need to search the value using regular expression with any string that matches “[…….]”, then get the matches and replace with the following:

do_shortcode('[.......]');

In this case, it may work. Give it a try, let me know if you need more help.

Cheers

Ash

• sdwebdesign
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thank you for your replay. I am afraid, bit I am not very good with coding, but I would like to try and learn.

So please let me know:

-> How can I show custom field with coding?

-> Where do I get the value?

-> Which value string do I have to search and where can I find it?

-> When I found the required I Have to past them in here […….]? -> how could that look like?

3 other question:

-> Is it possible to show the custom field titel even without a value is added?

-> Is it possible to enter a default value which is shown if no value is set manually?

-> In the “Custom Field Edit page” there is a checkbox “Allow for WP/plugins -> The WP and other plugins can use this custom field.” What is this checkbox for?

Thank you and best regards,

Steffen

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hi there

Happy New Year!

How can I show custom field with coding?

The custom field is called as meta field. This is link of how you can get meta value: http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/get_post_meta

Where do I get the value?

The value will be shortcode that you will enter when you edit a post type.

Which value string do I have to search and where can I find it?

Sorry, I didn’t understand this question.

When I found the required I Have to past them in here […….]?

Yes, if you have any problem then just get the value and print it using echo. Then I will tell you the exact code.

how could that look like?

Sorry, I didn’t understand this question.

Is it possible to show the custom field titel even without a value is added?

Yes, it is possible.

Is it possible to enter a default value which is shown if no value is set manually?

Yes, just check the value in code, if it is null then set your default.

In the “Custom Field Edit page” there is a checkbox “Allow for WP/plugins -> The WP and other plugins can use this custom field.” What is this checkbox for?

If you check the checkbox, then this field will be available for other post types that are not generated by custompress plugin.

Hope it helps! Please feel free to ask more question if you have.

Cheers

Ash

• sdwebdesign
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Is there a plan to implement the feature (shortcode in custom field) in a future release of custom press?

Or is it possible, that a developer adds this feature to my website / shows me how it works?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.