Location based directory

I am developing a site that I would like to add a location based directory (Country, State, City). How can I achieve this with your Directory plugin?

• aecnu

Greetings antKat,

Thank you for the great question.

There are many ways to do this with the Directory plugin and because I do not share your vision I may not have an answer to your liking but I will indeed give you some of the possible visions I have.

You can have MultiSites and sub domains for countries and then categories and sub categories for the rest.

You can do a single site and have categories of countries and sub categories as required.

You can do MultiSites and domain mapping with each country in the domain then categories.

Actually the combinations and possibilities are endless.

Cheers, Joe

• Mark Wallace

@antKat

I am currently building one that just focuses on every county in the USA.

Thought i would share a few tings with you!

1. Very important, do not use Zip / Postal Codes i started that way only to find out several thousand zip / postal codes change every year. "Around The World"

2. I chose to use New Blog Templates to create sites for states and a separate NBT for Counties.

3. i chose to use categories to divide the listing categories, only because i dint want people to end up in a different state/county via pagination.

4. Batch Create and New Blogs Template will be your best friends in this project; if you use them correctly, they can cut you several thousand man hours into a few hundred!

Lastly; Pen and paper this out. Spend a lot of time before you get started, i built 2 classifieds and 3 directory, "3149 sites" only to delete them and start over. You can still find empty links to these on Google. :disappointed:

I have been planning my last one for about 6 months now, while working on other projects. So spend a few days, weeks figuring it out before you get started.

If you have any specific question, i will be glad to help you, and hope to get back on my classifieds and directory in the next week!

Thanks!
    Be Blessed!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.