Locking down Buddypress Site

Hi All,

I have been pulling my hair for the last week so hope you can help. I need to lock down a buddypress site so it is available only to registered users or people with facebook accounts.

Requirements:
login/register page with facebook option to login and facebook avatar in Buddypress.

I have tried:

1. Custom login/register page (by edit bp-custom.php) with WP-FB AutoConnect.
Can login via buddypress user but when using facebook it will approve the credentials but will not redirect you to the home page, goes back to the registartion page.

If I use Simple connect plugin it will redirect me to the home page but no Avatar support.

2. Remove the custom page and use "Absolute Privacy" and "WP-FB AutoConnect" to lock down the site. now all works fine but when person register and activates their account an admin has to approve the account (Can't turn this off)

3. Using "Absolute Privacy" and "Ultimate Facebook" all works fine (still have to approve accaount, which is a part of "Absolute Privacy"). But it take for ever to login ever if I close the page and come back click log in via facebook button (credentials are cached) it will take a minute to login. Also noticed that when configuring/adding the "Ultimate Facebook" in the admin portal.

My question is can people share what they are using as code or plugins that work. I don't care what I use as long it works .

Thanks

• mort3n
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi Yagobg,

Although I cannot provide a full answer to your question, here are a few thoughts on the matter.

If you're referring to the Absolute Privacy plugin found on the WP plugin repository
    http://wordpress.org/support/plugin/absolute-privacy, then you may want to consider other options. It hasn't been updated since 2010 and the support forum has numerous threads about security issues.

I run a members-only BP site that I've used the WPMU DEV Membership plugin to lock down. The plugin has lots of features for subscriptions etc., but you can also just use it as a simple lock-down tool. That's what I do.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership/

No experience with FB connectivity, but if you use two WPMU DEV plugins you can get support on this forum for both and combining them.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Cheers
    Mort3n

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Yagobg,

Welcome to WPMU DEV!

Thank you for the great question and Mort3n gave some possible suggestions but i have no idea what to do in this event nor why your site is so slow when performing the action as you described. Of course if you are using Blue Host or or perhaps an overloaded host or even not enough php ram cannot be determined with the information supplied.

However, I will indeed allow this ticket to float a bit to see if we have any other community input as Mort3n so kindly provided.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Yagobg,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.