Hi there,

Where can I change what content my Facebook app receives from new Facebook users on login/registration? At the moment the user has to allow the following:

Your basic info
Your email address
Your profile info: description, birthday, likes and location
Your events

I really only need basic info and email address, is there any way of specifying this anywhere?

Thank you in advance

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings adnan278,

Now this is a really great question that I would like to know the answer to myself.

There must be someplace we can edit that it does not require all those permissions, so lets put the question in to the expert in charge of this plugin - meaning the lead developer of course - and see if he can perhaps point us in the right direction.

Or perhaps it is not possible to change it on our end at all?

Therefore I will see if I can get the lead developer in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advice/advise for us.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• adnan278
    • Flash Drive

Hi Joe,

Any update on this? It's actually quite an important issue for us as we don't want to ask for this many permissions and we're afraid it's putting people off connecting with our app.

Would be great to hear from your lead developer as soon as possible please?

Let me know.

Adnan

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Adnan,

I am with you there though I have indeed done everything I could to get the lead developer @Vladislav eyeball on this ticket.

There is not anything more that I can do at this point that I have not already done though I have sent him another message :smiley:

****Please note:****
    One reason in this particular ticket here that we are having delays in a response is because of the way the ticket system works. The ticket system see's every reply as well a reply ... and then changes it's priority in the support que to include ticket aging.

Therefore it may not show up on our screens as early as it would under normal conditions. It is usually in your best interest to not bump tickets or reply to them unless there is something significant to add.
    ****Please note****

Hopefully he will make it in here sooner then later to offer up his invaluable advice.

Sincerely, Joe

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

At the moment, this would be only possible by editing the file "lib/class_wdfb_permissions.php". However, there is a new plugin version in the works, that will enable you to alter the required permissions through a set of WordPress hooks. If you're interested, this version is currently in the Beta state and I can attach it here for download, with some more instructions on how exactly to do this.

• deanl
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi @Adnan, @Joe & @Vladislav

I am also keen to see the same change. I totally agree with Adnan, that form will scare a hell lot users from signing up. So I'm very keen to see new update, even BETA version - Viva la Vladislav ./ Ziveo Vladislav!

Attached is screenshot from Mashable screen that ask for permission when connecting with Facebook. Very elegant solution, as form is not visible at all. Data that will be shared is only noted in small grey text - perfect! If we could have option to use something like this, that would be great.

Regards
    Dean

• adnan278
    • Flash Drive

Hello chaps,

In the end, we had to delve into the plugin files and modify wdfb permissions to get rid of the extra stuff... ideally the "what permissions do you require?" would be built into the plugin, but I see it should be in future versions, so that's good news.

We also included some extra Open Graph functionality and added a Publish Actions permission, but we got a Facebook guru in the office to help us out, so unfortunately I can't give you much insight here.

@deanl - if you still require more help, drop me an email adnan [at] carthrottle [dot] com and I can get my dev to let you know how to edit the wdfb permissions. If not, grab the beta!

• deanl

@adnan278
    Adnan, thanks a lot. Just checked carthrottle - your website ROCKS! Anyway I'll drop you email from soshima [dot] com and we can have a chat. Cheers

@Vladislav
    Still I am looking forward to new version of plugin too. I have a few projects with need of good Facebook connection. So looking forward to new version. Pozdrav

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

In the attached Beta, you can influence the permissions required from the user by hooking up to one of 3 new filters - "wdfb-permissions-new_user", "wdfb-permissions-non_publisher" and "wdfb-permissions-publisher". The "wdfb-permissions-new_user" one is most likely the one you'll want to tweak. All three filters will pass a single argument to their processing functions, which is a comma-separated string of required permissions. A comma-separated string of valid Facebook permissions is also expected to be returned from the processing function.

@adnan278, I'm glad you managed to find your way around the code, hopefully the next version will allow you to add your changes without touching the core code, so you can upgrade without headaches in the future. As for the other custom modifications you made, if you need a hook exposed or some other code-level modification to better organize your code, don't hesitate to let us know.

@deanl, please let me know if you need any kind of help with permissions filtering or hooking up with the code, I'll be happy to assist. Pozdrav i sve najbolje :slight_smile:

• deanl

I just encountered another issue with plugin - on login page "/wp-login.php" div with facebook button overlapping login button, cause button to malfunction. div need to be just big enough to wrap facebook button, otherwise will cause this issue. Tested on pc & mac, latest chrome.

@Vladislav - Thanks Vladislav, yes I'll need help, I am not developer at all, but learning WP still. So don't have a clue how to modify this plugin as per your note. Sorry. Is above mean that with this hooks we can specify which filed will appear? But we'll still have a fields on connect to facebook page? I mean this solution does not allow us yet to have as elegant solution as in provided screenshot from Mashable?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.