Logged-in subscribers don't have access to BP pages and public areas

Hi,

I'm creating a membership subscription site using WP Multisite and BuddyPress that features BP installed on the main site and sub sites using the subfolder setup. Each of the subfolder sites are locked to the public as these are courses for subscribed users, while the main site is open to all. I have four subscriptions - one for each existing subfolder/course, and five levels - one for each course and a public one.

Users who are administrators of the site and of the membership plugin are in all four subscriptions and all five levels and can see everything. Users who are not logged in (strangers/public) can see the main site, and not the locked down course sites.

The problem exists for users who are logged in as subscribers (WP definition). They can see posts in their designated subfolder, but not pages, and the assigned BP group on the main site, but the rest of the main site (which is public) is blocked, and a custom WP query I have in the footer, which displays recent blog post excerpts, is blank.

In the level settings, the only positive rules listed are the appropriate BP Blog (subfolder site) and the BP Group (main site) and private messaging. There are no negative rules. In the public level settings (or, stranger...), there are no positive rules, and the only negative rules are the BP Blogs and Groups.

Is there something wrong with the settings that this is happening? How can I get my logged in users to see the pages they need to see?

Thanks!

• DavidM

Hi LSWilson and welcome to WPMU DEV!

Thanks for all the initial information, certainly helps to get a picture of how it's setup.

So this subscriber membership level is being restricted from BuddyPress elements and public pages, correct? Could you try, first off, removing all rules from that level, just to see if those rules are where the issue resides?

Also, could you let us know which versions of WordPress and Membership you're using?

Thanks,
    David

• Lisa Sabin-Wilson

Hi David!

It's actually Laurie, one of Lisa's staff. :slight_smile:

We're using the most recent versions of Membership (2.0.5), BP (1.2.8) and WP (3.1.3).

I have a test user account (subscriber level) who is subscribed to two of the subscription levels - FB101 and FB102. If I remove all the rules on FB101 and leave FB102 as is, I can now see the public levels, and all the posts on the FB102 site, but nothing on the FB101 sites.

I found a thread about changing the MEMBERSHIP_GLOBAL_TABLES in membership-config.php to true because this is a multisite, but when I did that, I got the white screen of death on all my subsites, so I put it back.

FB101 and FB102 rules are exactly the same (or they were before i removed them all from FB101...), so I'm stumped.

Thanks so much for your help.

Laurie

• Barry

I found a thread about changing the MEMBERSHIP_GLOBAL_TABLES in membership-config.php to true because this is a multisite, but when I did that, I got the white screen of death on all my subsites, so I put it back.

You have to make this change first in order to use global tables, as the plugin needs to create the initial global tables. You may need to remove the installation tables and options you already have, make this setting and then re-activate the plugin to create the tables in the correct place.

• Lisa Sabin-Wilson

Hi Barry!

Administrators of the membership plugin don't have any rules applied to them? What version of the plugin are you using? From 2.0.4 onwards you shouldn't be able to assign membership admin users to subscriptions.

Administrators of the plugin (Lisa, myself, the site owner) have all of the levels and all of the subscriptions applied. We can see everything. Subscribers (by WP definition) who are in FB101 level and FB1010 subscription can't see the FB101 site, the FB101 group and all the public pages and posts.

You have to make this change first in order to use global tables, as the plugin needs to create the initial global tables. You may need to remove the installation tables and options you already have, make this setting and then re-activate the plugin to create the tables in the correct place.

I had a feeling you were going to say that. LOL. Okay... let me put it back and rebuild everything. Do i just need to reset the options or actually completely rebuild all my subsites too?

Thanks!

Laurie

• Barry

Administrators of the plugin (Lisa, myself, the site owner) have all of the levels and all of the subscriptions applied

If you hover over the names of your membership admin users account can you see the Add | Move | Delete options? If so, something has gone wrong with your admin users permissions.

On the main site - remove the options for membership from the wp_options table (most should be M_ or membership_ type names) - then deactivate, make the setting and reactivate the plugin. This will make the global tables and all sub-sites should use the new tables - you need to recreate your subscriptions / levels again though.

• Lisa Sabin-Wilson

I'm getting closer... I deleted the row M_installed in wp_options, deactivated the plugin, reactivated the plugin, reset my level options, and enabled the plugin. Now everything's blocked that should be blocked from the public, and if I log in to my test user account, I can see the course content on the sub pages. YAY!

The one thing I haven't gotten working yet is that even though I have the right group (which I renamed as courses) listed in the level, the users don't have access to these. It's my last hold out...

Thanks!

Laurie

• Lisa Sabin-Wilson

Hi!
    Bumping this because I'm still not having any luck with this.

1. I deleted the plugin, deleted all relevant tables in the database, reinstalled the plugin, rewrote all my levels/subscriptions options and re-enabled the plugin.

2. The public is able to go to all of my subsites' content, despite there being a negative rule preventing them from seeing that content. They are, however, blocked from the Groups.

3. Logged in users in a specific subscription are also able to see the subsites' content, but not the courses (groups). They are however able to create new courses (groups), which is something I blocked in both the subscription level and the public (stranger) level.

Would really appreciate some direction in making these settings correct and working.

Thanks!

Laurie

• Mason

Hiya,

As we haven't heard back from you we're going to assume the problem
    was sorted out and mark this ticket as resolved.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this
    thread please feel free to post them below and tick the 'Mark as Not
    Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, thanks for using the forums, and for being a member of WPMU
    DEV, it's a pleasure to help you out and we look forward to being of
    assistance in the future.

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.