Logging in BuddyPress and WordPress

I have searched all over and there seems to be next to nothing on the topic of logging and advanced logging in BuddyPress especially, so I would love some feedback.

First, is the only logging by default for Wordpress at the root in the error_log?

Is there any other logging, specific to BuddyPress, that can be accessed or turned on?

Third, is there any WordPress logging that can be turned on, like mentioned in this article? http://digwp.com/2009/07/monitor-php-errors-wordpress/

I have had a heck of a time with strange issues and my problem comes back to the same thing every time - trying to get proper information to really troubleshoot, and my error_log seems to never have what I need.

Thanks, David

• DavidM

Hi David,

Just to mention a couple things to start with, the following article over at the wpmu.org blog goes over the error logs:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/wordpress-troubleshooting-basics-how-to-check-your-error-logs/

And there's a plugin that displays the latest entries in a log detailed in this article:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/daily-tip-add-your-error-log-to-the-wordpress-dashboard-as-a-widget/

That said, the error logs may vary in location. Most commonly, as far as I've seen, they're in the domain root. Though there may be logs in your sub-directory folders as well, as follows:
    /wp-admin/
    /wp-content/
    /wp-includes/

You may want to check those as wells. I'd venture to guess there's something in /wp-admin/ given the user issue you mentioned.

-David

• David

Bummer, didn't like this plugin, oh well.

[23-Nov-2011 23:10:50] PHP Warning: fopen(error_log) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/co2mnow/public_html/denvertherapistsnetwork.com/wp-content/plugins/error-log-dashboard-widget/error-log-dashboard-widget.php on line 115
    [23-Nov-2011 23:10:50] PHP Warning: fseek(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/co2mnow/public_html/denvertherapistsnetwork.com/wp-content/plugins/error-log-dashboard-widget/error-log-dashboard-widget.php on line 117
    [23-Nov-2011 23:10:50] PHP Warning: ftell(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/co2mnow/public_html/denvertherapistsnetwork.com/wp-content/plugins/error-log-dashboard-widget/error-log-dashboard-widget.php on line 123
    [23-Nov-2011 23:10:50] PHP Warning: ftell(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/co2mnow/public_html/denvertherapistsnetwork.com/wp-content/plugins/error-log-dashboard-widget/error-log-dashboard-widget.php on line 124
    [23-Nov-2011 23:10:50] PHP Warning: fseek(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/co2mnow/public_html/denvertherapistsnetwork.com/wp-content/plugins/error-log-dashboard-widget/error-log-dashboard-widget.php on line 129
    [23-Nov-2011 23:10:50] PHP Warning: fread(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/co2mnow/public_html/denvertherapistsnetwork.com/wp-content/plugins/error-log-dashboard-widget/error-log-dashboard-widget.php on line 130
    [23-Nov-2011 23:10:50] PHP Warning: fseek(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/co2mnow/public_html/denvertherapistsnetwork.com/wp-content/plugins/error-log-dashboard-widget/error-log-dashboard-widget.php on line 132
    [23-Nov-2011 23:10:50] PHP Warning: ftell(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/co2mnow/public_html/denvertherapistsnetwork.com/wp-content/plugins/error-log-dashboard-widget/error-log-dashboard-widget.php on line 143
    [23-Nov-2011 23:10:50] PHP Warning: ftell(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/co2mnow/public_html/denvertherapistsnetwork.com/wp-content/plugins/error-log-dashboard-widget/error-log-dashboard-widget.php on line 145
    [23-Nov-2011 23:10:50] PHP Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/co2mnow/public_html/denvertherapistsnetwork.com/wp-content/plugins/error-log-dashboard-widget/error-log-dashboard-widget.php on line 148

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.