logging out issue- not longing out

I can not log out of after signing in with facebook

http://screencast.com/t/q2Mc2CCkIsF

wpmu/buddypress

• Jason
    • The Bug Hunter

Phil,

This never occured before and it is quit annoying from a user perspective.

Once the user clicks on logout it must log them out from the site. I have seen one of the best joomla facebook connect allow for two options:

1. keep logged in to facebook when logged out from the website
    2. log out from both

But if you watch my screencast again, you will simply see that if the user CANNOT log out from WP when logged into FB. Suggesting that the user goto facebook to log out is not ideal or user friendly.

Again, this is something new I have notice and was hoping it was a bug and not a architecture design. You seem to suggest that this is done by design. IF so, this is not good at all.

How can I fix this?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings infotechd :slight_smile:

if the user has selected on Facebook the "Keep Me Logged In" option on the Login screen, how are we supposed to override that without going to Facebook and doing it (unchecking the Keep Me Logged In and Logging Out)?

Joe :-0

• Jason
    • The Bug Hunter

Joe,

I appreciate your input but this may be for something for WPMUDEV to look at. I have seen other facebook connect plugins for other platforms and the logic is a little better.

- The user must have the option to log out period
    - If the current logic forces them to remain logged in if they are logged in to facebook, then a notification should be displayed explaining this so the user will know what to do.
    - a great option is to allow the user to log out of WP and not FB and/or to log out of both. This I have seen.

The main point is that any user who logs into WP with facebook will be extremely frustrated and confused on why they can not log out from that site. I have connected to several sites using facebook (some WP base) and this was never an issue.

I would be mighty upset if someone keep me logged into a site and compromise my security.

The logic needs to be looked at to meet hte basic standards and expectations of any user. Ethically, we need to do something about this. I hope to hear back from the WPMUDEV team or even other ideas on this

But again, thanks for your help, Joe

Jason

• Jason
    • The Bug Hunter

Phil,
    You are saying what it does but I am referring to a suggestion. Please consider running this by the developer and the team.

We at least need a "message" that tells the user if they want to log out from that site, they need to log out of facebook.

In the mean time, can I do that?

• Jeffrey Beer
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I just had the same thing happen while logged in as a regular user. I went to Facebook and logged out, closed all browser windows, then web back to the site and was still logged in. Clicking "log out" did nothing but refresh the page. Trying to log out from the wp-admin dashboard would not work.

The only way I could log out was to FTP in and rename the Ultimate Facebook plugin folder.

• Jason
    • The Bug Hunter

I am glad to see someone else on board :wink:

The plugin has improved significantly but there is an issue with the ability to log out. This was not always the same so something must have changed on our end or within the plugin.

I think it is worth looking at.

• Jason
    • The Bug Hunter

So I went ahead and checked it again. It does not seem to have anything with facebook as the plugin IS logging you out of facebook but possibly still caching or something.

It gives symtoms of being logged out but once refreshed, it logs right back in. I would have to clear the cache for about 4 times before it completely logs out.

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hi,

This is definitely not the expected behavior. I have been trying to replicate the behavior you and fusionx22 experienced, but haven't had any luck this far - log out worked for me every time. So, you're getting logged out of Facebook, but you're still staying logged into your site? Have you experienced the same thing when trying to log out from your admin pages? I'm assuming you're both using the latest plugin version (v1.6.2.1). If not, can you please update?

Also, it would be great if I could learn more about the environment, so I can possibly have a better shot at replicating the issue. What WordPress version you're using, and is it a Network install (multisite)? Do you have BuddyPress installed and, if you do, which version? Do you have some sort of caching plugin active on your site? Lastly, do you possibly have another plugin that might be dealing with logins active?

• Jason
    • The Bug Hunter

VeBailovity

I had figured it was a caching problem and your questions made me to check it.

DB Cache Reloaded Fix seem to have been the issue. I also have the W3 Total Cache installed but that does not seem to cause the issue.

I had the latest WPMU/BP installed.

@fusionx22 does this help you? Can you check your cache? I am not sure if It would be the same issue for you

Jason

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hi,

I have tried installing DB Cache Reloaded Fix, but unfortunately still haven't been able to recreate the behavior you're experiencing. According to a support thread, DB Cache Reloaded Fix seems to have issues working with W3 Total Cache: http://wordpress.org/support/topic/plugin-db-cache-reloaded-fix-multi-db-from-wpmudev-and-db-cache-reloaded#post-2114772 Could you please try to temporarily disable both and see if it helps? Also, with these plugins active, are you experiencing the same behavior in the admin area?

• mysendoff
    • Flash Drive

I have cleared the cache of the browser, I still cannot log out of the site. There is nothing else but the site open, and it has me logged into the site. I open Facebook in another tab, it shows the default FB login page. Meaning it is not logged into Facebook.

It is the UC that is causing the issue. Please fix, as I am aware that other members are experiencing the same issue.

Also, logging out of the site, should NOT log out of Facebook, doesn't sound logical that a site that requests from another site will log you out of a site that it is not part of.

Either way, priority logout should log the user out of the site regardless. There is no way a site can be responsible for a user having Facebook open in another tab. However the site should be responsible for its own logging out and logging in.

Even if they have the 'Always connected' on the site, the logout should still logout of the site, you never know if the user has a friend who wishes to log into the site, or if the computer is part of a public domain.

But the issue is still there, cannot log out period.

• Jason
    • The Bug Hunter

@mysendoff I share your frustration :wink: Happy that the developer is discussing with us

@VeBailovity It does not matter where I click on to log out it does the same...from admin, from the theme default from the widget. please give it a try sdatt[dot]org

• Jeffrey Beer

I'm using WP 3.3.1, BP 1.52, latest version of the plugin and theme. Mine is not multisite - just plain old wordpress, and I have nothing else that deals with logins.

I use WP Super Cache, which I disabled and deactivated, after I deleted the cache contents. No change either way.

• mysendoff
    • Flash Drive

@infotechd I'm happy with their service :slight_smile: I'm sure they will figure it out eventually. Just hope soon, as our members are starting get upset. We choose UFC because it was the most easiest to understand for our older members. Our site as well is a single site with BP.

@VeBailovity Thank you for taking the time to look into the issue, we really appreciate it. We have been members with WPMU DEV for a few months now, looking for more months with you! :slight_smile:

• mysendoff
    • Flash Drive

I'm not sure what else to add to help solve the problem, but it is a priority issue.

@kalanga - I think that's a good idea, to enable settings.

Would be nice if I can turn off the other widgets I don't use, and have the option to say what FB requests I don't need. For example I don't need to retrieve their marital or religious status...

The less infomation you request the higher the user will use the Facebook Connect. Personally I only thing the basics is required, and then request the others as per widget that is actually enabled.

Would also increase site traffic through FB Connect and overall load times.

• mysendoff
    • Flash Drive

Figured out the problem:

If the user uses the 'login with Facebook' the Facebook popup shows, they login and select 'Keep me logged in' it creates a permanent cookie in their browsers, hence the inability to logout of the site.

If the user does not select 'Keep me logged in' on FB popup, they are still not able to logout of the site.

Only way around the problem:
    To fix that issue, the user has to delete their cache and cookies, in order to logout of the site.

Suggestions for the fix?

Is there away to do a check to see if they have facebook open? If so, just log them out of the site? If they don't have facebook open, log them out of both?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings :slight_smile:

vindication is at hand and I was on the right track the whole time (Posted on 5th January 2012 (5 days ago) with the "Keep me logged in" with Face Book though I did not mention the cookies or the cache.

Once again, when a person chooses "Keep me logged into Facebook" it is clearly their mistake and their problem - they checked it to be kept "Logged In" - then you will have the person who will claim the opposite, well I checked to keep me logged ain now why am I not always logged in?

I am sick and tired of this kind of garbage similar to the people whom call in for DSL service everyday and specifically stating they want DSL service but do not have a land line and do not want one.

ID-10-T's

Or when we had computer stores and the lady calls in that her computer will not come on.
    Then when asked to check that the monitor is plugged into the tower and she says she cannot see the end of the cable because it is dark. Then when asked to turn on the light she says she can't because the electricity has been off all morning .....

Joe :slight_smile:

• Jason
    • The Bug Hunter

@everyone thank you

@aecnu Again, you had mentioned this to me, but logically, it does not make sense. I have used many other facebook connect plugins for wordpress and joomla and this is never an issue at all. e.g. http://www.sourcecoast.com/jfbconnect/ component for joomla works perfectly but it is for joomla. Never an issue with logging out. It would automatically log you in if you logged into facebook (admin set) but a note shows at the top of the site..

The issue remains of logging out and I know the developer will look into it in the future. I am confident that it can be done. Thus UFC plugin has significantly improved since its release. I am generally happy about it.

No one is arguing about what is causing the issue, we just hope that we can motivate the Team to determine either good work around or maybe a permanent fix.

I have seen it done and I know it can be done.

• Jeffrey Beer

There's no need to even consider whether the user has logged out of Facebook or not. The plug-in should only care if the user was logged in correctly when authenticating on the WP site. After that, there doesn't need to be any connection to Facebook whatsoever.

Remember, WordPress and the browser determine whether a user is logged in on the WordPress site. Facebook is only used for authentication.

The plug-in shouldn't ever try to manipulate the user's logged-in status on another site.

Honestly, I'd be surprised if it actually does.

Along the same lines, the plug-in should not care if you log out of Facebook. Once you are authenticated on the WP site, it should not even check for Facebook status, until you need to re-auth on the WP site. Logging out of Facebook is something I do 100 times a day - working on client profiles, marketing pages on other accounts, and so on. If I was getting logged out of my web site each time, I'd be pretty upset.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Folks :slight_smile:

After some careful thought I would take another educated guess as to a solution and the bottom line to fixing this problem within the plugin is to not be relying on the FaceBook Cookie as an authentication method - as it appears it is by the symptoms and fix as reported by mysendoff Posted on 11th January 2012.

How to accomplish that is beyond my knowledge of the plugin and FaceBook interaction at this time but that would seem to be the correct logical path to permanently resolve this issue :slight_smile:

Joe :slight_smile:

• mysendoff
    • Flash Drive

As I previously mentioned, it did not matter if 'keep me logged in' to facebook was selected, it still did not allow the user to log out of the site. I have tested this on many browsers and Mac/PCs. The site is refusing to let the user log out.

I agree with everyone that stated that the site should not care if the user is still logged into another site if they are logging out of the current site they wish to be logged out of.

Could devs please resolve the matter, or at least mention they are looking into it? I need to know some kind of timeline so I can plan for an alternate solution to client login if this one isn't going to be resolved anytime soon.

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hi,

This is issue definitely being actively worked on. The main problem is that I haven't been able to recreate the issue yet, including trying it on sdatt site, mentioned earlier in the thread. There are some other alternative scenarios to try out and possible approaches to test, but the issue will definitely be fixed for the next plugin release.

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hi,

Thank you very much for your patience this far. We're working on a new plugin version that will, among other things, hopefully fix this issue as well. We're currently testing the changes, and hopefully it won't take very long to push a new release.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Jason,

Just checking if this issue was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by
    yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live
    support?

If so, no need to reply, that's great news.

If not, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free
    to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as
    Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.