Login form at the header -like what we see in Facebook, Amazon, etc.

Hi!

The title says it all. I already have a customized login form, but user have to click in the login button at the header to be redirected to a login page, and what I want is the whole login form right at the top of the header, with a space to insert the username and another one for the password -pretty standard, like what see at Facebook, for instance.

If you guys know of a plugin that does it, great. I ran into a lot of issues when I was creating my login form, as my site is all in the front end and it's integrated with buddypress and a front end version of marketpress; I haven't found a plugin that does what I described. Right now, with the custom code that's on my site, it's all there: the username and password boxes; putting it as simple and straighforward as possible, all I need is to "tranfer" the items I already have to the form I want -though obviously I'll have to tweak things around to achieve that.

In case you need, support access is active and my FTP login data was sent yesterday with the name of Michael Bissett in the subject line.

Thanks.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Gabriel,

Hope you're doing well today! It doesn't look like support access is active? It's not reflecting that way on our side anyway, if you could re-grant it that would be awesome :slight_smile:

Not sure if you are currently using any login plugins, but if you have our Protected Content plugin then it comes with a login form shortcode :slight_smile: and you could place that in your header widget if you have one or your header.php.

the login form shortcode is this:

[ms-membership-login]

There are also some other login plugins you could likely use for this purpose, like Pie Register I believe has a login form shortcode too :slight_smile:

Hope that helps Gabriel!

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Wheel of Commerce

I tried using that plugin and the shortcode, I've inserted it right after <head> in header.php, but it didn't work. I have that custom login form that, I believe, is tied up with the front end form to register the stores -I'm using marketpress frontend. Here's the link to download the pack of plugins I've used to have the whole site in the front end (I've posted this before in some threads here, but anyway):
    http://mp-frontend.info/wordpress-marketplace-tutorial/the-end-download-tutorial-and-files/

The part that matters in that tutorial is "13.TT GridMarket extra template files (Login/Register pages Included with this tutorial)", specifically the part that starts with "4) Next we need to create 2 pages for :", at page 8. From there, what follows is a set of instrctions on how to build the login and register store forms. I've modified that a bit to have things displayed the way I wanted, but it's fundamentally what's there.

Given the way things seem to be tied up to each other, it might be easier to simply modify what's there to achieve this "facebook-like" login form at the header, rather than install another plugin -I might be wrong though, which is one of the reasons you guys need to take a look, as I'm obviously no coder.

Thanks once more. :slight_smile:

• Tyler Postle

Hey Gabriel,

Thanks for the reply!

Customizing the header you have now and manually developing the form would be quite a bit of work. You would need to hire a developer for that, you could post on the jobs board: https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/

Did you check that page while logged out after adding the shortcode? Using that shortcode as you have it above:

<?php echo do_shortcode('[ms-membership-login]'); ?>

Should display the login form long as you have protected content active :slight_smile:

Try placing the shortcode in just a normal page too, to make sure the shortcode itself is working on your site, might be a conflict. If it's still not working then we can have another look.

Talk to you soon!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Wheel of Commerce

Hi, man! Below is all the content in my header.php, from the child theme:

<!DOCTYPE html>
    <html <?php language_attributes(); ?>>
    <head>

<?php echo do_shortcode('[ms-membership-login]'); ?>

<meta charset="utf-8">
    	<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width; initial-scale=1.0; maximum-scale=1.0; user-scalable=0;">
    	<title><?php mpt_load_site_title(); ?></title>
    	<meta name="description" content="<?php mpt_load_meta_desc(); ?>" />
    	<meta name="keywords" content="<?php mpt_load_meta_keywords(); ?>" />
    	<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0">
    	<?php mpt_load_google_web_font( true ); ?>
    	<link rel="shortcut icon" href="<?php mpt_load_favicon(); ?>" />
    	<link href="<?php bloginfo('stylesheet_url'); ?>" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" />

<?php wp_head(); ?>

<?php include(get_template_directory() . '/admin/custom-styles.php'); ?>

<?php if (is_page_template('login.php')):{?>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    jQuery(document).ready(function() {
    jQuery(".tab_content_login").hide();
    jQuery("ul.tabs_login li:first").addClass("active_login").show();
    jQuery(".tab_content_login:first").show();
    jQuery("ul.tabs_login li").click(function() {
    jQuery("ul.tabs_login li").removeClass("active_login");
    jQuery(this).addClass("active_login");
    jQuery(".tab_content_login").hide();
    var activeTab = jQuery(this).find("a").attr("href");
    if (jQuery.browser.msie) {jQuery(activeTab).show();}
    else {jQuery(activeTab).show();}
    return false;
    });
    });
    </script>
    <?php } endif; ?>

<?php
    if ( is_user_logged_in() ) {
    global $current_user;
    get_currentuserinfo();
    echo '<div class="custom_login">Welcome, '.$current_user->user_login.' |';
    $user_id = $current_user->ID;
    $user_blogs = get_blogs_of_user($user_id);
    $playground = count($user_blogs);
    $mp_frontend_settings = get_option( 'mp_frontend_settings' );
    $adminpage = $mp_frontend_settings['page_id'];
    $post = get_post($adminpage);
    $slug = $post->post_name;
    switch_to_blog(1);
    $mainsite_name = get_bloginfo();
    restore_current_blog();
    if (is_super_admin()){echo ' | <a href="'.network_admin_url().'">Manage
    Network</a>';} elseif ($playground == 1) {echo ' | <a
    href="'.network_home_url().'register-store/">Start Selling</a>';} else { echo '  <a
    target="" href="http://www.wheelofcommerce.com/members/' . $current_user->user_login . '/stores">My Stores</a>';}
    echo ' | <a href="'. wp_logout_url(network_site_url()) .'">Log out</a></div>';
    } else {
    echo '<div class="custom_login"><a
    href="'.network_home_url().'login/">Login</a> | <a
    href="'.network_home_url().'register-store/">Register</a></div>';
    }
    ?>

<!--[if gte IE 9]>
    		<script src="https://html5shim.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/html5.js"></script>
    		<style type="text/css">.gradient {filter: none;}</style>
    	<![endif]-->

<?php mpt_load_header_code(); ?>

</head>

<body id="body-wrapper" <?php body_class(); ?>>

<!-- Floating Menu -->
    	<?php
    		if ( class_exists('MarketPress') )
    			pro_floating_menu();
    	?>
    	<!-- End Floating Menu -->

<!-- Header Section -->
    	<?php mpt_load_header_style(); ?>
    	<!-- End Header Section -->

<div class="clear"></div>

<!-- End header -->

I think I've inserted the shortcode in the right place, but in any case, there it is. It's working now, even though there're things I want to change -like the way the form is displayed, as a huge box in the header. The problem was that I had activated the plugin, but wasn't aware I had to go to the settings to actually make it work.

Since we aren't talking about my custom made login form anymore, you guys can help me make a few modifications in order to have the login form displayed discretely in the header, instead of the way it's being displayed right now. I still have to check how it's working for new users to register, but I'll ask you right away in any case: the fact that my site is all tied up with buddypress, has marketpress frontend and all that, any login form shouldn't alter the way these things work, correct? I mean, as long as I have a login form, people who register will necessarily have access to the functions that allow them to create their stores and the whole social media part from buddypress, right?

Thanks.

• Wheel of Commerce

Hi again! Just to let you that I've removed all the codes referring to the custom made login, but the login link is still being displayed there, even though it's redirecting to a 404 page. I've left the codes referring to the custom register form, as it presents the user with the whole process of creating the store, inserting products and payment details, etc.. I haven't checked on how to do it myself, but I think it shouldn't be hard to have the register link that already comes with the protected content plugin redirecting to my custom registration page. What I want is to have that "facebook-like" login form at the right-top corner of the header, and the registration link redirecting to the custom registration page.

Thanks once more.

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Gabriel,

I've given you something to start with here, I first replaced the code you had in your child theme's header.php:

}

With this:

echo '<div class="woc-header-bar">
    	<div class="woc-login">' . do_shortcode('[ms-membership-login form="login" show_note="no" register="no"]') . '
    	</div>
    	<div class="custom_login">
    		<a href="'.network_home_url().'register-store/">Register</a>
    	</div>
    </div>';

Also, inside your child theme's style.css, in addition to removing the "float:left;" from the .custom-login class, I also inserted this:

.woc-header-bar p.login-username.ms-field {
        display: inline-block;
    }

.woc-header-bar p.login-password.ms-field {
    }

.woc-header-bar .nav {
    }

.woc-header-bar p.login-remember.ms-field {
    }

.woc-header-bar p.login-submit {
    }

.woc-header-bar {
        background: #00b0c7;
        position: fixed;
        width: 100%;
        top: 0;
        z-index: 995;
        text-align: center;
        padding-bottom: 10px;
    }

body#body-wrapper {
        margin-top: 74px;
    }

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Wheel of Commerce

Thanks, man. I know Patrick and Tyller will be here tomorrow for chat sessions, I'll talk to them to see if I can get the login form the way I want it, as they managed to get my old one to look the way it did in the end. I know it can be done, and that's not that hard, as my old login form was looking like that (login buttons on a blank line over the header) and I managed to get it working. The fact that this comes from a plugin developed by you guys should also help in terms of modifying the way this login bar looks.

Thanks again.

• Wheel of Commerce

I've been checking on plugins to achieve what I want and the best solution I've come accross is the WPMU Custom Admin Bar. I activated it network wide and set it up, but still don't see it in the site -and there's a pic in the plugin's desciption showing it in the front end. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like modifying this plugin allows me to achieve what I want.

Thanks.

• Wheel of Commerce

OK, I've just been informed that the WPMU plugin called Custom Admin Bar doesn't come with a login form -which I presumed it did, since the wordpress admin bar on which it's based has one. Considering this, it might actually be better to modify the login form that comes with WPMU Protected Content, especially considering the modifications that have already been done. Maybe it might be easier to try integrating it into the Custom Admin Bar? I mean, the Custom Admin Bar functions as the fixed element I want in the top of the header, allows the insertion of the links I want there... Anyway, I was just wondering. As long as the final result works, that's fine. :slight_smile:

Thanks once more, that top bar is really looking closer and closer to what I want as an admin bar.

• Wheel of Commerce

I've talked to Nathan Onn, who works with you guys and developed the theme I'm using, and he sent me the following, it might help (I'm not inserting code myself due to the fact that it'll most likely create some conflict with what you guys are doing):
    "The header style load from this function: mpt_load_header_style() - located at functions/core.php
    If you're familiar with wordpress filter, you can use this filter 'func_mpt_load_header_style' to modify the header.
    Anyway, to make it float and stay on top, you can use this css:

.topbar {
        position: fixed;
        top: 0;
        left: 0;
        display: block;
        width: 100%;
        z-index: 999;
    }

Regarding the order of the items in that login form, I'd like it to be as follows:
    Username box | Password box | Login button | Don't have an account? Register
    Remember me | Can't connect?

All that should go at the top-left corner of the fixed bar (I've said top-right corner before, but I haven't realized the shopping cart was there). I'll put a "Wheel of Commerce" at the top left corner (that will work as a link to the home page), in a way that the login form will go right beside it; that "Pro3" you see there obviously will be removed, and the "Advertise and sell your products without having to pay for it.", or any other slogan, will basically stay where it is now (in the header, but not moving with the "fixed top bar"), I'll just move it to a central position there. At the right side of the login form I'll insert links to the main pages, to make navigation easier.

When passing the mouse over links like "Register", I'd like them to turn white -the way "Register" is right now ("Lost your password?" is turning blue though). Another thing I've noticed is that when you click on "lost pw", you get to the lost pw page and there's like a little "taint" at the bottom left corner of the header, that works as a link to the home page -I think it's something reminiscent from that "Pro3" link at the home page.

I know it looks like a bunch of changes, but in fact all the fundamental parts were already put there by you guys (by Michael, I think), so the hardest part is already done.

Support access has been extended, in case you need it.

Thanks again, that top bar is really coming the way I wanted it to be. :slight_smile:

• Wheel of Commerce

Hi, @Michael Bissett!

I'm posting again on this thread because my site is loading at an absurdly slow speed, I've run a scan with P3 Plugin Profiler to know the culprit and the report says Protected Content is responsible for 80% of the loading time. As this wasn't happening before the modifications, and obviously the plugin doesn't behave like that in its standard form, is evident that what's causing this is some piece of code that was modified or inserted to customize the login box. And, since you were the one who helped with this, you're the one who can identify what piece of code is the root of this issue.

If you want or need, you can see the full scan result at Wheel of Commerce > Tools > P3 Plugin Profiler.

Thanks.

• Wheel of Commerce

I've talked to some devs about this and discovered I can achieve what I want, or at least something really close to it, just by using plugins and making a few customizations. What I'm going to do is customize the wp admin bar with plugins and, if needed, some code changes.

I've searched for show_admin_bar in my funtions.php at both my parent and child themes, to set it to true, but it isn't there. I also tried inserting the code provided at wp codex (http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/show_admin_bar), but the bar still isn't showing; I think it might have something to do with the new code inserted. So, I need one of you guys to take a look into this, see what's blocking the wp admin bar from being displayed at the front end.

Once this is solved, I'll be able to follow through with customizing the wp admin bar as I want to.

Thanks again, you guys have really helped a lot with this. :slight_smile:

• Wheel of Commerce

Regarding the display of the wp admin bar at the front end, here's what the dev of my theme told me to do:
    "As for admin bar, you just need to add this filter to functions.php:
    add_filter('show_admin_bar', '__return_true');"

I inserted that code in my child theme, and it worked. Then, out of the blue, all I'm seeing now in my site is a black bar at the top -like the wp bar, but without any links. Another odd thing started happening: after deactivating Ultimate Coming Soon page, it takes some minutes for the coming soon page to actually go off the site. I've cleaned the cache in WP Super Cache settings, turned cacching off, then deativated the plugin, which also didn't work. I've also noticed the appearance of a new folder named Maildir through FTP, at /home/wheelofcommerce.

Any ideas on how to solve this will be appreciated.

Thanks.

• Wheel of Commerce

Hi!

The version of Custom Admin Bar that exists in Ultimate Branding is different than the one that can be installed separatelly. Anyway, I'm trying to install the separate one and for some reason the links to the pages aren't being displayed -I've already set the page type to "site" instead of "admin", but it didn't work.

Curiously, while updating the home page to check on how the admin bar was, it became all black again, then it turned back to normal, which is really odd.

That white space between the admin bar and the header is still there; how do I remove it?

Thanks again.

• Wheel of Commerce

Just updating this thread with what was discussed on a chat session, as requested by Michael:
    -Michael tested each one of my plugins to see what's causing the problem and determined it was MP Dynamic Grid. This is really odd, since I had this plugin installed when I tried Custom Admin Bar a while ago and everything worked fine. Besides, WP Dynamic Grid isn't supposed to modify anything in the admin bar (at least as far as I know), so it really wouldn't make sense for the plugin to be causing the issue.

-I tried to move on and proceed with the other customizations I'm going to make in the admin bar, but they aren't working either, so my guess is that whatever is causing this, it's something related to the admin bar a s a whole, rather than a very specific part of it. Just in case, I'm posting below the link to a tutorial I used to create my previous login form. I've removed all the code related to it from my site, leaving only what was referring to the registration form, as users need it to create their stores. I'm just leaving it here in case you guys want to take a look, to make sure the issue isn't caused by some code from this tutorial.
    http://mp-frontend.info/wordpress-marketplace-tutorial/the-end-download-tutorial-and-files/

Thanks.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Gabriel,

Thanks for stopping by the chat!

Just wanted to update the thread. Issue was the shortcode php exec plugin was conflicting with custom admin bar menus, so you weren't able to create new parent menus.

With that deactivated then Ultimate Branding's custom admin bar module is working as expected :slight_smile:

Would be worth checking your php shortcode exec snippets to see which one, if one, was causing the conflict. That is if you still need that plugin at all.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Wheel of Commerce

I've added a link to the groups nested under the one to the forums. It should appear when I pass the mouse over forums, but it isn't -not for regular, logged out users (which is pretty much the purpose of this plugin for me).

Something that I'm presuming is related to this whole issue: I've added a plugin called Protected Content Mojo, that creates a login form that appears hen an user pass the mouse or click on login, in the admin bar. It should be displayed in the list of add-ons for Protected Content, but it isn't showing.

Thanks again. :slight_smile:

• Tyler Postle

Hey Gabriel,

Thanks for your reply. This is working fine for me :slight_smile: I attached a screenshot of the logged out view.

I did notice one issue, you placed the full url in for the groups field. It only needs the part that is after the domain. So for domain.com/groups/ you only need to place in /groups/

I've attached two screenshots to illustrate both the dropdown menu working and the fixed url.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Gabriel,

After doing a good deal of digging into this, it seems like the issue is a combination of the TT MarketPress Frontend plugin, and the Pro3 theme you're using presently.

When I tried using the 2013 theme on your site, I found that I had to have that plugin disabled in order to get the admin bar to show up inside of Chrome. However, if I have the PRO3 theme active, even when the TT MarketPress Frontend plugin is disabled, I'd still have issues seeing the admin bar.

I would want to reach out to the developers of those products on this one. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Wheel of Commerce

Hi, man! Thanks for answering.

I had both when I tested the admin bar for the first time, and everything was working fine. Besides, as I only give access to you guys (for security reasons), and from my previous experiences with issues like that, no plugin/theme dev digs into a customer's site to figure out what's wrong -one of the reasons that made me join WPMU, for support with stuff like that. Besides, it's working in firefox, but not in chrome, so wouldn't it be something chrome-related? The fact that even the coming soon page takes some time to be turned on or off on chrome after the plugin activation/deactivation makes me believe this is something that has to do with chrome rather than anything else.

In any case, I'll talk to Nathan Onn, the dev of Pro3 -he used to work for you guys. As for MP FrontEnd, I've contacted its dev before, and he doesn't offer support for issues that aren't strictly related to the plugin -as it's usually the case for plugins/themes devs.

Never thought setting up an admin bar customized from the wp bar itself would be so complicated, haha.

Thanks once more. :slight_smile:

• Wheel of Commerce

Another thing: for fome reason that standard login form at the wp admin bar isn't working, so I can't log in as a regular user to test things.

Also, I see TT MarketPress FrontEnd, which is one of the plugins I need the most, isn't there anymore; just want to know if you forgot to put it there again after you removed it, or if it's supposed to be left out for some reason -because, like I said, the bar was working fine before, when I had both Pro3 and TT MP FrontEnd.

Thanks.

• Wheel of Commerce

Just updating with what was discussed with Tyler during chat:
    -I've reinserted all the modifications from my old custom login form (codes, settings, widgets, plugins, everything) and now the bar is working for chrome as well. Conclusion: what was causing the issue was obviously some code I wrongfully removed ragarding the old login form -it wasn't the shortcode exec php plugin, mp frontend, the theme or anything of the sorts.

-Now, I obviously face the issue of removing that old login form without causing any problem to the admin bar. I still need the old registration form though, as it's necessary for the users to set up their stores. All the files related to the old login and registration forms are inside my child theme.
    I know undoing what've done to insert the login form sounds rather easy, but, as this whole thing made clear, it isn't -or at least not for somebody who has only a minimum understanding of coding. That being said, I want to know if you guys can remove the old custom login for me, without removing the registration form -because, like I said, I need it.

-Something that might be related to this whole mess: I've installed a plugin called Protected Content Mojo (from Nathan Onn, he used to work with WPMU), that's supposed to insert a floating login box in the list of Protected Content Add-ons, but I don't see it in the list.

I remember Patrick being the one who helped me a lot in setting up this old login form -I think he has experience with MP FrontEnd. All I need now is to get rid of the old custom login, that's all -while keeping everything else functioning, of course.

Thanks again, guys. I really hope I can get this damn admin bar to finally work, since it's been almost 2 weeks that I'm on this, haha.

• Wheel of Commerce

Updating with what was discussed with Ashok during chat:
    -As much as I'd like to get rid of my old login form the right, clean way, I've been over this for 2 straight weeks, which is absurdly insane for such a ridiculous problem. So I told Ashok that, if I can't get rid of the damn thing the proper way, just hiding it will suffice. With that in mind, he gave me the code below to insert in my style.css, so I could hide the old login form. It worked.

.custom_login{
    display: none !important;
    }

That being said, I'd still like to remove the old login form the right way, by getting rid of its code; remembering that I'm keeping the old registration form (page: /register-store), I just want to remove that old link to it. If that "clean removal" can't be achieved, then I'm sticking to the current hiding technique.

-The dropdown login box that's supposed to be inserted by Protected Content Mojo is working perfectly -even though I'll have to change it's place, because right now it's under the shopping cart. The thing is, and that's absolutely odd, it only works when Protected Content Mojo is deactivated. I thought that could be a caching issue, but WP Super Cache has been deactivated since before I got Protected Content Mojo. I want to figure out what's going on with this plugin, so I can get it working the way it's supposed to.

-I also want to insert buttons in the admin bar to allow users to login with facebook and such, so any help with that, like siggestions of plugins, would be great.

Thanks again, guys! [This has to be one of the most extensive threads in the forums, haha.]

• Wheel of Commerce

As Michael asked, I'm opening a new thread for each separate issue mentioned in my previous post:
    -Getting rid of all the codes and files from the old login form: Michael helped me getting it removed without hiding it through CSS. Getting rid of all the files and coes related to it (without messing up the registration form) probably takes some serious digging, and at least for now, if things are working fine for the users, then everything is fine, under a functional perspective.

-Protected Content Mojo issue:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/protected-content-add-on-isnt-working?replies=1#post-843526

-Login with facebook:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/login-with-facebook-button-inside-the-existent-login-box?replies=1#post-843530

Finally, I want to set the dropdown login box that's there to be displayed when passing the mouse over the "Login" at the admin bar.

Thanks. All these issues with the bar were driving me crazy and you guys really helped a lot. :slight_smile:

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Gabriel,

Just to elaborate on your first point (for anyone reading this later), the following from lines 57-61 of your child theme's header.php was removed:

else {
    }

Regarding this:

Finally, I want to set the dropdown login box that's there to be displayed when passing the mouse over the "Login" at the admin bar.

I take it you're referring to the log-in box provided by Protected Content Mojo?

Not sure how that's inserted into the page (as I haven't personally used that plugin), but the customizing of that to show up as a dropdown item would be something I would want to post on our Jobs Board about:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Wheel of Commerce

Hi, man!

First of all, I might have found a login that does insert a drop down login box in the wp admin bar, or at least it seems so -I just can't be sure because the dev hasn't answered questions from clients for almost a month. Can you please take a look and tell me if it actually is what it seems? From what I've seen and read in the plugin's page, it really looks like it's what I want, I just want to make sure (even though it's just $14, I don't like to throw money away like that):
    http://codecanyon.net/item/ajax-loginregistration-bar-wordpress/3675923?ref=yuzuruishikawa&ref=yuzuruishikawa&clickthrough_id=389793831&redirect_back=true

For the case that plugin isn't what I think it is:
    After giving it some thought, I've decided to stick with my old custom login form, at least for now, though I'll be using the login and register buttons that already are in the wp admin bar -they'll just redirect to the custom login and register pages.

I backed up the child theme folder that was there just in case, then uploaded the child theme that has the old custom login in it. After that, I've inserted the following in functions.php:
    add_filter('show_admin_bar', '__return_true');

Then added this inside style.css:

.custom_login{
    }

As far as I've checked, everything is working fine, except that when I click on login I go to the login page and the error message "Please enter both username and password." is being displayed inside the login form -which should only happens if the user hasn't put anything in these fields.

I'd also like to remove that "Powered by OneAll Social Login" that's right below the social login icons.

Thanks again! :slight_smile:

• Wheel of Commerce

Update:
    I tried that drop down login plugin I mentioned, but it isn't working; I've contacted the dev and he confirmed the box does get inserted in the wp admin bar, but for some reason when I activate the plugin all I see is a bar that looks like the wp one but only shows a login and a register buttons on it (all the other buttons from wp are gone). Now there's also a white bar below that black login and register bar.

Thanks again.

• Wheel of Commerce

Updating with what was discussed with Vinod Dalvi during chat:
    "Found the issue in the Ajax Login/Registration Bar plugin

The plugin author has added the admin bar by developing static html code in the following plugin file

loginbar/loginbar.php

Instead the default admin bar is displayed by hooking in to the wp_footer hook which this plugin is not doing therefore other menus added by other plugins are not getting displayed.

It's the Ajax Login/Registration Bar plugin issue as it's not developed following WordPress development best practices that is using default WordPress hooks

See more info:

https://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/show_admin_bar
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7214647/wordpress-admin-bar-not-showing-on-frontend-of-site"

I'll contact the dev to see if he can do something about it. In the meantime, if any of you guys have an idea on how to fix it, that'd be great.

Thanks.

• Wheel of Commerce

Updating with what was discussed with Michael during chat:
    " Michael Bissettat 4:30 pm
    @Gabriel: As for the earlier point, not sure why that CSS code isn't working, but you could also try inserting it into Simple Custom CSS as well, and see if that works (when your site comes back up, I'd want to reach out to your host about that).

As for the login link question, the quickest way to resolve that would be to use this CSS code to hide the Login & Register links you have on the bar presently:

li#wp-admin-bar-bp-login {
    }

li#wp-admin-bar-bp-register {
    }

This time though, you'll want to insert it into the CSS area inside the Custom Admin Bar module. After doing that, you'll want to create two menu items, one pointing to your Login URL, and the other pointing to your Register URL. :slight_smile: "

All the files from that custom login go inside the child theme's folder, and the only .css file there is style.css, so I inserted that code there and created the login button in the wp bar, it didn't work, the /login is still redirecting to the super-admin login page -this is happening even when I type wheelofcommerce.com/login in the URL bar. Seems like it started after I've installed Wordpress Chat (from WPMU), but the issue is the same when I deactivate the plugin. It might also have started right after a server downtime of about 2h. I tried associating the login page with Protected Content, which also didn't work. Any ideas?

Thanks.

• Wheel of Commerce

Basically /login is redirecting to the page below:
    http://www.wheelofcommerce.com/super-admin?redirect_to=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wheelofcommerce.com%2Flogin%2F

And again: it all started after a 2h server downtime; I didn't change anything, didn't add any plugin, changed any settings, nothing. When ther servers came up I went to check on the login page, because I was working on it, and it was like that.

An interesting thing is that if I go to /login when I'm logged in as super-admin, I see the login page I was building, but the box where users insert the login data isn't there.

Thanks again, guys. :slight_smile:

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Gabriel,

The site went down again as I was working on this (and has been down for a bit now, I waited to see if it'd only be down momentarily), but I did notice that the /login/ page will try to take me to the WordPress login page instead. :disappointed:

At this point, I would highly advise getting that site moved over to a new host, as not only is it blocking us from getting this sorted out right now, but I do have to wonder if perhaps the hosting might be part of the problem now.

Please advise,
    Michael

• Wheel of Commerce

Yeah, I'll transfer to one of those cheap plans at Digital Ocean, while I'm just building it; my current plan with Dreamhost offers 2GB of RAM, my usage is 50% of that at most (usually just 30%) and I keep having problems -like you can see, the site loads absurdly slow and it goes down frequently. Besides, I've heard from a lot of people that Dreamhost is really horrible. I know I'll have to upgrade right before launching, but for now something that just allows me to build my site without having server issues is already enough -I just need like 4 test accounts to check if everthing is working before the launch, and that's about it.

Michelle told me many of you guys have experience with Digital Ocean. I've sent them a sale inquiry, but since they'll probably reply me by tomorrow and I really don't want to sit here without being able to work, do you know if their $20/month plan supports multisite? Also, is it VPS, cloud, or what?

Thanks again.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.