Login issues on Internet Explorer - Please wait...

There appears to be a problem with login on IE (11 in my case)

The message 'Please wait...' is displayed and nothing else happens. No errors in any log files relating to this.

These issues have been reported by a number of users.

Other browsers appear to be fine

I also believe that the logged in status for a user is sometimes lost during the registration process.

• Rupok
    • Support Ninja

Hi Johanna

I hope you had a wonderful day.

Well, this is not supposed to happen but still we need to make some test on your site to confirm the issue. Unfortunately I don't have access to Internet Explorer 11, so I can't test it. I'm asking other support stuffs to check the issue and get back to you as soon as possible. I believe, they will give their valuable opinion very soon and the issue will be resolved.

Update: I just got an update from @Ashok and the solution seems to be "Security Issue" in Internet Explorer. Your users have to add your site as trusted site in Internet Explorer popup that appears at the bottom when loading your site in IE 11. This should fix the issue.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Johanna
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi Rupok,

What do we do for users who have previously accessed the site on IE? We have quite a number of users with this issue.

I have certainly never seen the popup that you are referring to and I use it on a regular basis.

I now have the latest version of the plugin and that still doesn't get round the problem in IE

I'm about to roll out similar functionality to hundreds of users, and getting them all to follow these instructions is near impossible.

What is the long term solution to this problem?

Kind Regards
    Johanna

• Rupok
    • Support Ninja

Hi Johanna

I got response from one of our member and he could find the issue in action but he could solve the issue with the solution stated here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/members-are-having-issue-on-ie-when-they-have-more-than-one?replies=16#post-980734

So I'm flagging our developer here on this issue and I believe he can give us a solution.

Please note, our developers work round the clock and they have to deal with lots of critical issues and other things. So it might take a little while for them to work on this and give us a solution.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Johanna

Hi Rupok,

as I stated above, your proposed solution is not workable in a real-life membership website

I look forward to the solution to the problem, as i have other sites I'm developing with similar requirements

Kind Regards
    Johanna

• Rupok
    • Support Ninja

Hi Johanna

Yes, I do agree with you that in real life, it is not wise to ask every member to go through that complex process for login with IE. I do apologize for the delay in fixing this. As I said before, our developers have to deal with lots of critical issues and other things, so it's taking longer than usual. So I'm pinging our developer again and I believe, he will work on this very soon and fix it ASAP.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Johanna

It's now another 4 weeks later, and still no solution to this problem. It's becoming quite embarrassing having to explain to my client and all their users that they cannot use one of the most common browsers the way they are used to.

It is also preventing us from launching other membership-based projects.

Could you please provide a date when this will be resolved, so that we can make a decision on whether to look for another solution

Please guys!!

Kind Regards
    Johanna

• Rupok
    • Support Ninja

Hi Johanna

Hope you had a wonderful day.

Yeah, I just checked the task assigned to our developer and seems like he had lots of other critical issues too, so the task is not yet completed and this bug on IE is not fixed yet. I do apologize for this delay and I've just poked him again to prioritize this task. And I've also asked him to keep an eye on this thread to facilitate this process.

I'm afraid I can't give you any ETA but I believe, he will come up with a solution very soon this time. I really appreciate your patience.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Johanna

I couldn't agree more.
    I accept that it isn't an easy problem to resolve, but it is a significant problem with massive user implications and needs to be treated as such. It was first reported nearly 4 months ago, and it really is getting to the point of having to look for an alternative membership package
    Johanna

• mlux
      • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Exactly Johanna,
      My memberships happen to be B2B so they almost always have to use Windows and Internet Explorer. This is a major browser and the plugin should work for it, there is no excuse for how long this has been an issue so far. I have used other membership plugins in the past and they have no issue with IE.

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello mlux,

This is very specific issue (one version of IE) - but I can assure you that developer is working on it. We are aware that in some environments IE is still main browser and can't be change - but if this requires changing major part of code, or way the plugin works - it can take time to fix it. I'm going to speak to him right now to get update about this issue.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• mlux

Kasia,

I appreciate you getting back to me but this has been around 3 months that this issue has continued. IE 11 is the most highly used version of IE (by far) statistically so if anything it should work in this version before all other versions of IE. It is hard to explain to my clients that they cannot have their business and their clients log in with their default browser (ie 11) and now they must contact their IT team to see if they can download and use another browser. I hope you can understand our frustration with this.

• Johanna

Hi Kasia,

I couldn't agree more. I have a major website that is waiting to go live, and I cannot risk it going live with the current issues. The only sensible alternative would be to find another membership solution. And by the way, the problem also exists on the Microsoft Edge browser

• Rupok
    • Support Ninja

Hi Johanna

According to my last conversation with our developer, our developer will check this again on this week. Please keep in mind, our developers have to deal with huge amount of critical issues and resolve those one by one. So this one is taking a bit longer than usual as it's a very complex one. I do apologize for the delay.

However, I really believe, he will come up with a solution very soon. I appreciate your patience.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Johanna

Hi Rupok,

This is what we've been told for several months now, and on numerous occasions since then

I could understand if this was the free version of the plugin, but it is not. We have paid for this plugin, and we have made a major investment in implementing the WPMUDEV toolset.

I am at serious risk of losing a major client. Either that, or re-implement the membership aspect of their website using an alternative solution - at my own cost. Do you have any idea how serious this is, in an industry where your reputation is everything?

This may not be a critical issue in terms of corrupting databases or something like that, but how much more serious does it get when users - who have paid for membership services - cannot log into their membership site using one of the most widely used browsers there is?

This really is getting to the point where I'm considering escalating the issue beyond your support system. I really do not need any more replies like your last one. What we need is concrete proof that something is being done about the problem, and an estimated time for its resolution. So I would suggest that unless you can actually provide such information, do not reply to this again. It is wearing rather thin. It certainly isn't reassuring in any way

As for my new project that's been on hold: I've opted for http://restrictcontentpro.com/ instead. At least users are able to login using this

Kind Regards
    Johanna

• mlux

Johanna,

I agree with you totally.

I also have a new site that needs a membership area and I have been waiting to integrate that because of these issues.

Thanks for the link to http://restrictcontentpro.com/ as well! I will check it out and slowly move away from WPMUDev since I am basically only a member for this Membership plugin if this issue is not resolved within the week.

• Jude
    • DEV MAN

Howdy Johanna and mlux

Sorry this took much longer than expected, but the bug raised in this ticket is fixed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0e6lafcejpb2pyj/membership2-1.0.28-Beta-2.zip?dl=0

Also a note of caution, this is a beta version, while unlikely it may not be 100% stable and may evolve and change a bit before the final release. Its more of a temporary workaround as opposed to a long term solution.

To install the beta, simply deactivate and delete your current version then upload the attached zip folder via: Plugins > Add New > Upload. Will be happy to install it for you if needed

Cheers
    Jude

• Johanna

Thanks for the update.
    I'll try installing it on one of my sites, but may wait for the official release before installing it on the live site.
    I have 6 in total where it needs to be installed, so probably best if i do it myself.
    How confident are you with the beta release? I cannot afford to introduce new problems into an already delicate situation with my client
    Kind Regards
    Johanna

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Johanna,

How confident are you with the beta release? I cannot afford to introduce new problems into an already delicate situation with my client

I've tested last two betas of Membership and didn't see any issues that would break site or create any new issue - of course taking backup before using it is strongly advise in case that something would be not working.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Johanna

Hi Kasia,
    i don't think you quite understand. Simply having a backup isn't good enough. We're not talking about a website with a few members and if it goes wrong we'll fix it again.
    We simply cannot afford for it to go wrong AT ALL. We've already had too may issues with the membership plugin
    Kind Regards
    Johanna

• Rupok
    • Support Ninja

Hi Johanna

Well, you are right, I do agree with you. Just taking a backup is not enough for a LIVE site with huge content or members. So a better option is creating a staging site. This is the most effective way for testing things in development world. A staging site is a clone of the live site with same environment, people test all things on that, and when everything seems good, they deploy the changes on live site.

So can you please make a staging site, test the beta plugin there, and if everything goes good, you can deploy it on your live site. To know more about staging sites, you can visit these articles:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/wordpress-staging-environment/
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/testing-environment-wordpress/

Please let us know if you still have any confusion. We will be glad to help.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Johanna

Hi Jude
    I have just installed the 1.0.28 beta in my test environment, and it is still behaving in exactly the same way as before. I have double checked, I'm definitely running on the beta version

Please note that when you attempt to login for the first time, it appears to be successful, but as soon as you start navigating around the site, it becomes apparent that you're not properly logged in. Any subsequent attempts to login result in the 'please wait' message

Kind Regards
    Johanna

• Rupok
    • Support Ninja

Hi Johanna

I believe I've a good news for you. Our developer installed BETA 3 version of this plugin (which I've attached with this reply) on "baobabdev.co.uk" on behalf of you and we tested from both IE11 and Edge browser in Windows 10. I could login fine and was redirected properly. Can you please check and confirm?

I tried from different aspects, tried to login multiple times, tried keeping open multiple tabs, browsed couple of pages while logged in. Everything went good in my test on "baobabdev.co.uk". I also installed this BETA 3 version on two of my test sites and it's working perfectly there too. So I believe, you can rely on this beta release.

I really believe, this won't break anything else on your site, but still I'll request you to take a backup of your other sites, remove previous Membership 2 Pro plugin, install and then activate this attached BETA 3 version. You can delete your backups when all are good.

I really appreciate your cooperation. I'm looking forward to hear from you and resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Johanna

Hi Mlux,
    As far as I can tell, the problem has been resolved, and everything functions as it should for me.

However, any users that failed to login previously, I had to logout from the 'edit user' interface before they could login again.

I have to put a caveat on this: Given that users had been told how to circumvent the problem, I wouldn't necessarily know if any of them were experiencing the problem. I'm not in direct contact with the end users.

Is everything else working correctly: I did have one user with some obscure problem in the signup process, but didn't get to investigate as they managed to get round the problem. I've asked to be informed of ANY issues over the next few days, and will update this post if I am made aware of anything

We have had a few users signing up and successfully accessing the membership functionality since installing the update.

All and all, I would say it's worth a try

Kind Regards
    Johanna

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.