login problem on Wordpress

I installed Membership, watched wizard OK, then when I went to plugins directory I got a fatal error message
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 41943040 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 1024 bytes) in /data/20/1/2/11/1980174/user/2163170/htdocs/Investigate/wp-includes/capabilities.php on line 937

Now I get same error message when I try to login to the wordpress site

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @Ian Wishart

I hope you are well today.

Do you have a php.ini file in anywhere on your hosting?

the error is because your out of memory, many hosts set this quite low/

If not, try adding this to your wp-config.php,

define(‘WP_MEMORY_LIMIT’, ’64M’);

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV member and have a great weekend!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @Ian Wishart

The error isn't a disk space error, it's a PHP memory error, which is the max memory that can be used by PHP and scripts at any one time.
    Did you try adding the line to the wp-config.php?

You'll want to add it above the line, that's all stop editing happy blogging.

Thanks!

Kind Regards.

• Ian Wishart
    • New Recruit

Hi

I added the line as requested, but now get this when trying to login:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 41943040 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 122880 bytes) in /data/20/1/2/11/1980174/user/2163170/htdocs/Investigate/wp-admin/includes/menu.php on line 126

• Ian Wishart
    • New Recruit

It seems to be randomly generating fatal errors now:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 41943040 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 8781 bytes) in /data/20/1/2/11/1980174/user/2163170/htdocs/Investigate/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3517

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there.

Thanks for posting in this thread, however it might be best if you open your own, even if the issues seem closely related. That way it will remain independent of this one and ensure it doesn't confuse issues here if this thread needs reopening again by the author.

Also this one is rather old now, and is the reason your post was missed.

It also means the member who started this thread or anyone following it isn't inundated with post notifications each time we respond to each other. A lengthy thread could annoy the original

This also allows us to better track and answer your questions to ensure we don't miss any for ya.

You can start a new thread here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/qanda/

And also try to create a PHP file on your server:

<?php
    phpinfo();
    ?>

Then load the url in your browser for the file, what is the memory in there?

And if you put the file in the plugins folder and load, then what is the memory?

Thanks.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.