Long Term WPMU Management?

For those of you running a WPMU Network installation with many users, how do you manage your themes, plugins and WordPress updates? I know the team here at WPMUDev does a good job at updating their plugins and themes to work with every version of WordPress, but what about outside themes and plugins?

One of my concerns in setting up a network that other people depend on or even pay me to provide, is the methods and resources needed to maintain compatibility between the various themes, plugins and WordPress itself. How to update to the next WordPress version while ensuring that the Premium WooTheme one of my users has selected doesn’t break?

Should there be a test environment and testing happening before every update? That means testing every plugin and theme not provided by the WPMUDev crew?

Thanks in advance for any insights you can provide.

• Aphrodite
    • The Reaper

Hi !

“Should there be a test environment and testing happening before every update? That means testing every plugin and theme not provided by the WPMUDev crew?”

well that is what i do. I contol themes with TAC, and test my config on a test network, and just wait 1 or 2 weeks to make any update.

But it is also true that I select my themes and plugins on THIS criterium : the support forum activity, frequency of updates…

so i use elegant themes, some templatics/woo, of course all wpmudev ones, and several dynamic plugins that i find (sorry guys huh ^^) more efficient (as subscribe2, fluency admin, wordbooker, and so on). Big plugins as jet event, courseware (for bp) are very well updated.

But i never deploy them on runing network before testing them :slight_smile:

• igallery
    • Flash Drive

Thanks Aphrodite. I guess I missed this response and hadn’t checked back in a while.

Can you clarify this statement: “I contol themes with TAC” What is TAC?

Is your test environment local or up on the same server as the production site?

Thanks again! :slight_smile:

• wpcdn
    • Syntax Hero

Should there be a test environment and testing happening before every update?

Absolutely.

That means testing every plugin and theme not provided by the WPMUDev crew?

Absolutely. And testing WPMU DEV items too. That’s not an insult to WPMU DEV. Not all WordPress components play nice together, so there might be some that cause issues for the WPMU DEV plugins and themes.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.