Looking at the coupon page I see that a coupon can be valid

Looking at the coupon page I see that a coupon can be valid "indefinitely," or for the life of the subscription.

Question 1 is: Does this mean that once the coupon is applied, the system will remember the allowance for the life of the blog, even if the coupon expiration date has passed?

Question 2 is: If I have a $27 coupon and offer a free level, a $27 level, a $77 level and a $127 level, will the $27 discount continue to be applied to the $77 level and the $127 level?

Cheers, cheerios, and wheaties to you!
Kirk

• Kirk Ward

Thank you Micheal,

And now, an 'Add On.'

Question 3 is: If the coupon is larger than the level signed up for (say a $37 coupon at a $27 level), is the excess wasted at all levels, or does the extra kick in at the higher levels?

Example, I offer a $27 level, and give a $37 coupon so the user will automatically get an additional $10 discount when they upgrade from the $27 level to the $77 level, without having to reenter another coupon. It would be sort of an off screen benefit that is promoted elsewhere, but is not exclusive.

Actual scenario - I run a membership website where all members get a tier 2 blog for free (tier 1 is the Pro Sites free level). They get the initial coupon as a coupon code distributed to them when they join the membership site. Strangers dropping by get to pay the full $27 Pro Sites price when they sign up or upgrade to level 2. If I offer members a $37 coupon, then they get an incentive to upgrade, while at the same time I can motivate bloggers to join the membership site. Sort of a cross pollination.

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Kirk Ward,

We'll want to back up a bit here, it seems that I didn't quite read question #2 right:

Question 2 is: If I have a $27 coupon and offer a free level, a $27 level, a $77 level and a $127 level, will the $27 discount continue to be applied to the $77 level and the $127 level?

You mean, will the coupon be applied even after an upgrade to a higher Pro Site level has taken place?

If so, then it'll apply for the life of that particular subscription, upon upgrading or downgrading to another level, the discount would be removed.

Cocoa Puffs?

Just thought I'd throw an oddball out there. :smiley:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Kirk Ward

If so, then it'll apply for the life of that particular subscription, upon upgrading or downgrading to another level, the discount would be removed.

So, that means that if someone comes in at one level through the use of an indefinite life coupon, when they upgrade to a higher level, the "indefitiniteness" of the coupon is lost? If that is what you are saying, then it seems like a promise is being broken to the buyer of a lifetime reduced price and removes the incentive to continually upgrade.

Wheatabix to you this morning!
    Kirk

EDIT: Is there a way that the coupon can be made truly indefinite, for the life of the customer, not just at that level, but for as long as they are a customer? That seems much more appropriate, and marketable.

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Kirk Ward,

So, that means that if someone comes in at one level through the use of an indefinite life coupon, when they upgrade to a higher level, the "indefitiniteness" of the coupon is lost?

Yep, because the coupon is applied to the plan that a user signed up for, as a coupon are only applied if it's entered on each checkout (so the user would need to apply the coupon each time he changes plans).

If that is what you are saying, then it seems like a promise is being broken to the buyer of a lifetime reduced price and removes the incentive to continually upgrade.

Depends on how a user would look at it. As it stands, instead of a user having only a discount for a single billing period of a plan, he'd be able to have that discount be applied for as long as he holds on to that plan (so he wouldn't lose it, unless he decided to cancel, or switch plans).

The coupon logic would only apply each time a plan was signed up for, but by that token, there isn't anything stopping a user from using the coupon again when signing up for a higher plan (as I mentioned earlier). :slight_smile:

I would think it possible to adjust the coupon logic to suit your situation, though it would definitely take custom development to do so:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/

Rice Krispies to you this evening! :slight_smile:
    Michael

• Kirk Ward

The coupon logic would only apply each time a plan was signed up for, but by that token, there isn't anything stopping a user from using the coupon again when signing up for a higher plan (as I mentioned earlier). :slight_smile:

The member could not use it again if it expired, as is the plan, so that coupons could not be handed out indefinitely. Think of the existence of 365 one day coupons, only available as a bonus or benefit from another site.

Now if I could remotely generate one time use coupons, that might work. But, it would mean getting the coupon entered into the ProSites database programmatically.

FYI - Most upsell and upgrade membership plugins that I am aware of maintain the coupon credit in just the manner I am describing. The value of an indefinite coupon is assigned to the user rather than the product. In some, the value of the coupon can even be applied across several products, specifically in a 'credit store.'

Vegemite to you this evening,
    Kirk

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Kirk Ward,

Vegemite? That's a new one, hadn't heard of that before (heard of Nutella though). :slight_smile:

Now if I could remotely generate one time use coupons, that might work. But, it would mean getting the coupon entered into the ProSites database programmatically.

Indeed, it would require some custom code to implement that sort of thing.

Having the ability to maintain a coupon credit in the manner you're looking for would make for a neat feature request though, I can definitely see the value in that. :slight_smile:

You'd definitely be welcome to open a request over here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/forum/feature-suggestions#question

Krispy Kreme to you this afternoon,
    Michael

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.