Looking for a Joint Venture

I am a wordpress newbie. I am in a position where I can sell bucketloads of subscriptions to professional clients that want a website. However, setting the system up (domain registration + individual site setup with several options - like single user, multi user, membership site etc.), securing it, backing it up and supporting the clients is quite beyond me.

Do you have any advice on how I can proceed? How can I find a reliable partner for a long-term relationship? How should the deal be structured - Initial setup fee + % of monthly profit, or a flat fee for each client that signs up + flat monthly fee for each client? How can I ensure that my customers do not suffer poor service because the partner loses interest?

Are there established businesses that already provide this sort of reliable service. If there are, what are your recommendations? Basically, I want to market the service and get a reliable expert deal with the tech side.

I know that this is a very general question, but would be grateful for your advice.

Regards

Mohan Reddy

• Mark Wallace

As with any business it is a risk to take on partner. Not only do you get their help, but you also get their problems as well.

How to divide the profit or losses is going to be totally up to the two parties involved. i would suggest paying someone to do a set service and give them NO control or say in the final decisions making!

If you can not cover the expenses yourself, then look for investors who want to invest but not run your company << not to hard to find if you have a good idea.

In fact i would like to hear your idea, like what type of clients/plan you have. you can email me at mark (at) mtb1701 (dot) com

Thanks!
    Be Blessed!

• Gabe

@mjreddy

Explain more about what you can offer. This network is full of people with current projects that fit your description or who could build such projects, myself included.

From what you describe, you seem like no more than a salesman. Salesman are a dime a dozen. What makes you unique? Why should a developer work with you? How can you give them the edge? Why should they partner with you rather than give you a simple affiliate commission? What have you done in the past? How can they contact you if they're interested?

Answering questions like those would be a good start to finding someone. I can't think of a better place to find someone than here on the WPMU DEV forums. Using the tools here, the barrier to entry is low given you find someone with technical proficiency.

Just remember that anyone worth partnering with is going to need to believe that you bring enough to the table to match what they bring as a developer. They'd essentially have to carry you until the MVP (minimum viable product) is ready. Sure, you could do some market research, generate some buzz, get pre-signups, etc. but none of it matters until you've got a product built. WPMU DEV's tools are great, but it takes some vision and skill to make something enough people are willing to pay for to make a business out of.

Another consideration is dedication. Is this project going to be your sole focus? Do you want it to be your partner's sole focus? Will it just be a side project? When do you plan on bringing it to market? You'll need an agreement in place to protect yourself should the product be successful.

• Fullworks

I am in a position where I can sell bucketloads of subscriptions to professional clients that want a website.

I think you would find it easier to find a 'partner' as commission paid salesperson rather than a investment/profit share partner.

From our perspective we would be happy to pay an initial fee & recurring revenue per client to salesperson / affiliate that can bring in the right type of sites for our business model.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.