Looking for a shopping cart solution for stock photography sales.

Looking for a shopping cart solution for stock photography sales. What I need is the ability to have one 'product' with three different variations of differing image sizes. The problem I am running into with Marketpress (and pretty much everything else I am seeing out there) is that each product offers one download. What I need is a product where each variation offers a download.

I was considering doing this in Marketpress, but this would require creating a page for each image (3000 of them) and then creating three products to present on each page (for a grand total of 9000 products).

ANY suggestions, ideas, tips, whatever would be most welcome! And yes, I know this isn't a WPMU DEV question, but both users and support are so helpful here, I was hoping someone would have a bright idea or have the knowledge I seek!

• Dean Kaus

Ok this is weird. I had checked the be notified of posts and again not getting notified. this happened a couple of weeks ago so not sure if they are working on it again or not. Still don't have this new design working well or at all for mobile devices.

At anyrate I'm having some changes and kinks worked out and should have a link for you to check out this plugin by tomorrow afternoon Chicago time. i think that it would be a great fit. Currently my problem is that I need to add several hundred or thousands of photos and don't have the time or patience. Also tired of paying other companies big bucks to offer this service and then on top of paying 28% commission I still have to deal with the customer complaints, print the photos and ship them or set up the download anyway.

Hope to have a link for you tomorrow. I'd have you check out my test site but it's broken for the moment waiting for this update fix.

talk to you tomorrow!!!

3D that's awesome. So how are you printing these or are they for download, or stereoscope... you've got my curiosity up and I'd love to see some samples.

My first attempt at 3d photography was back in 1988 (I wish I had a photo of my studio and setup) as well as the photos we took.

• camparoo

Yes, I so adore the new lag time.

But OMG - you will love this. My client wants to set up a network on psychology, which is all cool and good. But the fun part? His folks were friends with one of the owners of Eastman Kodak and got their hands on a 3-D camera. Not a really expensive or special model, but a cool tool for the 50's.

So, these people had some bank, and traveled all over the globe shooting 3-D images (more than 50 countries worth of cool). My client inherited the collection. Family is still well-off, so they are buying him the top of the line everything to scan and sell 3000+ sets of 3-D images across the planet. This is the store I am creating.

Bad ass or what? LOL.

• camparoo

Actually, I taught my 14 yr old how to scan and color correct in Photoshop. We are scanning at 7200 dpi. Crazy, right? And all results are saved first as RAW. I get final review before publication (or I did, the kid is really fracking good at this and we are tempted to make him the final judge of content just because he rocks at it and doesn't need my help). I have a large app to develop, so it's all good.

We want to offer three versions of each set of images (sets will be represented with a thumbnail of one of the two). We want to offer a web-friendly size at 72 dpi, and then a print version, fairly small at 300 dpi, and then a kick-ass copy at the max size we can produce, taking a 1x1 slide scanned at 7200 dpi, and and taking it to 300 dpi.

No slide sales, no mailed pic sales, this is all intended for download.

While this is the site we expect to make money, we are taking seven sites live that include forums and such, and we want this to be as hands-free as possible.

• aecnu

Greetings camparoo and Dean Kaus,

@camparoo Thank you for your great questions which are certainly appreciated and it appears that you and @Dean Kaus are having a conversation in which I will let float of course.

Concerning the shopping cart issue with variable downloads, this will be a challenging solution to find other then presenting each product on its own with a single download.

It will be interesting to see what you folks come up with as a solution.

Please keep us posted.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings aristath,

Thank you for chiming in my neighbor to the South.

It is scary that you said can't think of a way to do it on wordpress since I have seen your coding work in WordPress and it has been nothing short of fantastic.

I have even seen on WordPress that you have your own part of the repository as a WordPress plugin author.

So knowing all the above and being a the WordPress developer that you are, when you say you cannot think of a way to do it --> it is certainly worrisome.

Thank you as always for chiming in of course.

Cheers, Joe

• aristath

@aecnu well it CAN be done, but not without a fair share of custom coding...
    When I said that I can't think of a way to do it I meant that I haven't seen any plugins on wordpress that are flexible enough to achieve the desired result without getting our hands really dirty on the code.

Perhaps I should have phrased it "I can't think of a way to do it on WP without hiring a php guy"

There's a right tool for every job.
    Of course you can dig a hole using a spoon, but it's better if you use a shovel!
    WordPress is great, but it's not the answer to everything. That's why I suggested using Drupal as a CMS. The flexibility it offers would allow this project to be build in significantly less time! (No php guru required).

• aecnu

Greetings aristath,

Thank you for the clarification, I do see your point and as I have mentioned to many folks in the past that nothing is impossible with the coding skills and vision to make it happen.

I agree with your point completely about the right tool for the job.

There is a new resource we have been recommending for custom jobs like this other then the jobs board, and here they both are for convenience:

One could see if there's a developer available at wpmu jobs who could get onto it right this minute

~Or~

One could always approach someone like Tweaky https://www.tweaky.com/

Cheers, Joe

• Dean Kaus

@camparoo Glad to say that I've really made some great progress for a photography type of shopping cart. I had checked out several free ones and as always MarketPress is great if you are ok with entering photos one at a time. But for example for me If I have a family portrait session I may end up with anywhere from 50-100 proofs for them to select from. Also having the ability to offer the digital download in different sizes like to stock photo houses offer is a little time consuming.

I found a program and am having it customized and currently have the ability to upload a bunch of photos (I think i tested it with 160 photos so far and it's working pretty well) It's a work in progress but I believe will have a huge impact with photographers. I have a test site up that you can check out and will have a special offer soon (if it's allowed here) for members who are looking for this. Since I'm paying to have this done I can't afford to give it away but will certainly have a great offer for members.

There are many features that will be added as I can afford to have them added. Such as voting but for now am really trying to hit the other professional photographers out there in the real world.

the link for the temp site (keep in mind that this is a temporary test site)

http://kaus-digital.kaushost.com/

let me know what you think.

• Dean Kaus

Hey @foodfriendfinder just one of the many great carts out there. I think that Market Press is currently one of the best out there but for photographers, there are special needs that most carts don't have. At least i the word press environment. The one I'm having customized has so many cool features on top of streamlining a photographers workflow. Also works well with both dark and light themes. The majority of the carts out there only look or work good with light backgrounds or require a bunch of custom work. then if a client decides to change the theme, then you have to change all of the customization again.

So the customization I'm having done is from the eyes of a professional photographer, who currently sells stock photography and uses other online services that take a big chunk of my profits for supposed hosting. I actually discovered that one of the stock houses I used to use had sold one of my images 60 times and I only got paid for 7! So I want to take back control of my images and make as much money as I can for all of my hard work. The cost for a stock house to host my images is pennies per image. Anyway just my 2 cents worth.

• Dean Kaus

@foodfriendfinder no problem at all, thats whats so great about this community. I had looked into at least 10 before I was referred here for the MarketPress plugin. I quickly saw how great that MP plugin is but it had limitations for someone needing to upload 400 wedding photos etc... I did look at a couple of the suggestions you had made but quickly discovered that while you could batch upload (which is a great thing and I hope will work it's way into MP) they end up all being separate items vs an album for one client. So if you were looking at your wedding photos there might be another group of photos intermixed. That was a nightmare and was glad that they were willing to refund my investment.

Anyway great suggestions and I'm sure some one will be able to take advantage of those as well.

• camparoo

Hey Goodfriendfinder, I actually found an alternative solution. I have played with Shopp, and researched it as a possibility, but it has the exact same problem of multiple variables, but only one file load option for all product options.

What I am doing is setting up one site as the store. This site is being set up as a multi-site, so I can create sub-sites to provide some sanity to this whole deal.

Each sub-site is being set up with the name of the country where the images for this particular area originate. So, instead of having one site with 3000+ images (and pages) on one WordPress install, I get an easy to edit main site, and then a ton of sub-sites that are simple to work with, as they are region-specific. As I am dealing with content from 64 countries, this will make dealing with all of this content a whole lot more simple.

With Marketpress, you can use the same shopping cart with a multi-site install across all sites. This is my strategy!

• Dean Kaus

One suggestion I may offer is that you may want to include a master region catalog or Albums per se. I know that I would probably be one of those guys who would purchase several photos from various parts of the world. If I had to visit several different sites or subsites that would probably cause me to purchase a lot less than I would have If I have to jump to several different sites.

Just my 2 cents worth....

One other thing by offering that many photos is to make sure that somehow (I don't recall if MP does this or not) is to have the ability to save the cart if the client decides to take a break and come back later and add more photos before checking out.

Good Luck and let me know when you have the site up and photos ready for sale.

• camparoo

Hi Dean, the sub-site thing would be for my benefit, and would not be apparent to anyone actually using the store. I am just getting started with this, but check out the link in the navigation here for Turkey.
    Test site in progress.

All of the navigation for Turkey actually leads to the primary site, and all shopping cart settings are network-wide, so you can add a product from any page in any site in the network. This site would only provide the pages for the products relating to Turkey.

Then, I'll add sidebar content using blog rolls and images, linking to different content all across the network. The bottom curved areas are widgets, and there are also five different widget sections below the bottom of the actual page, for lists of links etc. that are not apparent as there isn't any content in them yet.

This is just far less intimidating than having one site with BuddyPress community options, a blog, both member and and non-member forums, plus over 3000 pages for images. It would be crazy to try to do edits or update content!

We'll be going live with around 1000 pairs of images, so I will be adding new content to the site for some time - so it's not like this will be in any way static!

• aecnu

Greetings camparoo,

It appears that you are well on your way to designing your new site and that this ticket is resolved.

if you need any further assistance please let us know.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.