Looking for a "submit blog post" plugin

I am currently using the UCan Post plugin to allow members and guests to post a blog to a community post without them having to get into the wp dashboard.

The only issue is that the UCan Post image upload feature does not work. (The developer is aware of this.)

Anyone know of a similar plugin that "will" allow members and guests to post a blog post AND upload an image with it? Also, prefer them to not have to get into the dashboard. I like the ease of use of the UCan Post plugin form.

This is for a single wordpress install with buddypress (not multisite).

Thanks!

• Mason

Hiya Ruth,

The only other plugin that I know of that would allow you to do this is Gravity Forms. It's a 'premium plugin' but one that I've used on many installs and recommend. It has an entire section of pre-made "Post Fields" including the ability to upload images.

It also has a 'drag-n-drop' interface to create your forms which makes things very simple.

Anybody else have an idea for Ruth? I'm sure there are others out there. Probably even other free ones.

Thanks!

• drmike

I'm real torn on allowing strangers upload files. I would think that would be a rather major security risk. We went through a couple of years ago and actually removed this feature from all of our platforms that we support for our clients. Left the submit posts feature though.

I know we've talked about this before but for the life of me, I can;t find the combo of words we used previously. (And it doesn;t help that this Starbucks has some rather poor wireless as well.)

• RuthLS

Mason - thanks for the tip on gravity forms. I'll ck it out.

Dr.Mike - to be honest (and naive I guess) I hadn't given the security issue a thought. Is that really an issue in letting people upload an image with a blog post?

How is that different than uploading an avatar etc. for buddypress...or is it not any different?

Is the issue letting "guests" ie. non members upload files? I suppose I could limit the submit posts feature to members only?

Thanks!

• drmike

How is that different than uploading an avatar etc. for buddypress...or is it not any different?

They're logged in an at the very least verified their email address if not, their credit card information if you run a paid site.

Think of it as running an anonymous ftp site on the net:

http://www.egigabyte.com/file-sharing/dangers-anonymous-ftp/

http://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=3525 (That's not 100% on topic but it is discussed.)

You also run the risk of visitors trying to upload infected files. That's one of the reasons why wp stops all animated images if they're uploaded through the interface. As far as I know, there's no actual virus scan done on uploaded files. Just the stopping. Always been surprised about that. (James, maybe that would be a good idea for a plugin since I know they allow zip's over at edublogs.)

• Fondeli

Hi Ruth,

I use TDO Mini Forms. It's a free plugin and allows you to completely configure the form.

I have it set up so that only members of the blog can submit posts and I use the add users sidebar widget to let users opt to becoming subscribers to the blog. This plugin allows you to set what role you want members to have.

So only members, you can also restrict this by role, can submit posts, and the post must then be approved by an admin before they are actually published.

I hope this helps you.

• RuthLS

Drmike - thank you for confirming. That's what I thought you meant.

Fondeli - Thanks for the tip. I'll look into TDO mini forums. I feel like I did at one point, but it may have been for something else.

Honestly - I don't want to have to manage members/users, who can and can't submit a blog post, and I certainly don't want to have to approve the post beforehand. I'd rather delete it after the fact...I guess unless I start getting hit by loads of spam.

I like the the plugin I'm using now. The only downside is the inability of attaching/uploading images. But since it allows what I want at this time (images aside) maybe I'll stick with it? On second thought the TDO plugin does sound interesting.

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions!