Looking for experiences with various theme developers

Hi all,
As great as the WPMU themes are, I need to look outside for this one, and wondering if anyone has experience with
http://designarethemes.com/theme/?theme=freshlook
or
GoodLayers: http://themeforest.net/item/architecture-premium-wordpress-theme/3580702

Support and documentation are the reason I'm a member here, and there's some scary stuff out there. Appreciate any advice or suggestions for alternatives. Thanks!

• phillcoxon
    • The Crimson Coder

I haven't had experience with either of those themes but I just completed a WPMU / BuddyPress / bbPress site using another themeforest theme: WildCommunity

My experience has been very good. It really depends on the theme developer.
    If it's not specifically stated make sure you contact the theme developer and ask them if they can confirm compatibility with WPMU and BuddyPress etc.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya,

Thanks for posting on the forums.

Thanks to Phil as always for chiming in with his great suggestions :slight_smile:

While I haven't had an experience with both the themes you have listed but its always good to be in touch with the theme developer for checking the compatibility.

Cheers, PC

• jjsararas
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

yeah I've pinged the devs, but they're less likely to say "I'm lazy with support and I hate doing documentation" which unfortunately seems to be the case sometimes! I wonder if there is a review site - like consumer reports of Wordpress themes? We should make one - or WPMU becomes the defacto resource for user experiences with the theme world?? Just dreaming out loud here...

• phillcoxon
    • The Crimson Coder

In principle a review site is a good idea but it would be very difficult as there are so so so many themes and developer habits may change (from lots of updates to none, or vice versa). Not to mention having to buy the premium themes first.

The general rule I use for ThemeForest themes is to see if they have older themes or plugins and how often those older themes are up updated. I also read the comments to see how responsive the developer is.

There's a couple of awesome WP plugins I'd like to get on ThemeForest but they were released and effectively abandoned with many users asking for help in the comments and being ignored.

I know that ThemeForest can be extremely profitable for top developers who earn most of their income there so in general I have a good experience.

• jjsararas
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Thanks for the advice Phil. The comments are almost always 90/10 complaints/praise tho, and much of it without merit (ie user error). Good point about habits changing tho too. Makes it hard to maintain any kind of barometer on themes/plugins, developers, etc. I'm just hoping to hear someone chime and say "Oh those guys are great, go for it!" Looks like I'll just have to blaze trail for myself and take it as it comes! Appreciate your thoughts..

• phillcoxon
    • The Crimson Coder

I agree with the comments. I ignore the comments that are obviously user error and look for users asking real support questions and whether those get answered by the developer.

It's always a bit of risk relying on future support from developers but I've had pretty good success so far.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.