Looking for input on membership/marketpress set-up

Hi there! I am looking for feedback and suggestions!
I have client site that offers wine sales. They wish to add Wine Club Memberships with quarterly shipments of wine packages, and these also include the option to buy their other products at a discount (which will vary, depending on which Wine Club a customer joins).

My thought was to keep the regular wine sales in Marketpress, but to offer the Wine Club Sales to be purchased through Membership. Then I could create different pages for each level of membership (whatever Wine Club they had joined, in other-words) that would only be available to these members, and these pages would offer the discounted products - which would be Marketpress products with the applicable discount Membership level's discount in place.

Whew. Anyway, if you are actually following all of this, LOL, does this sound like the best way to go for this?

Thanks for any input and/or suggestions!

• Mark
    • The Incredible Code Injector

@camparoo

I'm doing the same thing for one of my sites. I have tested it with PayPal and so far it works like a charm. It's a good approach which you've laid out.

One thing I should ask you: will this be a Multisite install? That can make things more complicated when using the MP+Membership combination.

Mark

• Mark
    • The Incredible Code Injector

[Edited - sorry for the previously sloppy English]

Okay, then theoretically it should be a breeze for you.

One tip: I created a Free access level and set my Stranger access in Membership to that Free level. I found that I had fewer problems doing this as opposed to when I just created Paid levels and assumed visitors would have access to all non-Paid content.

You may not encounter those problems. Just letting you know it made life easier for me.

Good luck!
    Mark

• camparoo
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I already made one called Guest! And, yes, in previous experiences with Membership, I also found this to be invaluable.

FYI: considering the butchery often involved with the English language in the US, I wouldn't have guessed that English was not your first language. Your info was far more clear than quite a bit of what I get from native English speakers!

• camparoo
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hey Mark, a quick question? I created Access Levels, activated them, and then went to add subscriptions. Last time I set up a site w. Membership, the plugin looked (and functioned quite differently). Anyway, now, I add a subscription, and nothing appears on the page, even though it states that I did create a subscription. I try to add it again, and it 'refuses' to do it, telling me "subscription not added". I change the title of the subscription, and it still blows me off. Am I missing something stupid or do I have an actual problem w. the plugin?

I am about done for the night – as in, I am really annoyed and should step away from the computer for a bit, but I thought you just might have run into info that could be helpful along the way...

Mary

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

FYI: considering the butchery often involved with the English language in the US, I wouldn't have guessed that English was not your first language. Your info was far more clear than quite a bit of what I get from native English speakers!

Ha ha, that is funny. :slight_smile:

I have to get my wife to translate text messages for me sometimes because I simply cannot understand what the hell they are saying. It's the same over in the UK.

Anyway. I know that multisite isn't really on the cards for this site but if it were to be considered although the setup would take a little longer initially you could then target them with offers, blogs and unique content valuable to them. Individual email newsletter signup options on each subsite.

Each subsite then has its own pricing for each membership, the issue of course is that stock isn't synced unless you did something custom for that.

This is probably how I would look at tackling such a project but your method of doing it on a singular site should work just as well. I personally like the separation to keep thing clearer in my mind.

You know a handy thing here though, which I'd love to see is per role pricing (and discount coupon applied) of products and variations. That way you create any number of roles and have Membership assign the user to another role which has a different pricing or discount automatically applied.

This would be super for retailers and wholesalers as well.

If only lots of members would keep requesting something like that, we could get our developers to consider it further :wink:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.