Looking for the simplest way to require users to be logged

Looking for the simplest way to require users to be logged in before they see 1-5 pages. Currently I have a "Public" access level with one negative rule that restricts access to a page. Turns out that logged in users cant see it either until I created another access level without the negative rule. the problem is that I'll be adding users regularly and dont want to have to add them to the new access level explicitly.

Thanks for your help.

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi @ithackermike,

Thank you for your question.

You don't have to add users to the new access level explicitly.

Have you tried setting "Public" access level as a Stranger access level on the following path without creating any other level?

Admin Area -> Membership -> Options -> General Tab -> Stranger access level

If it doesn't work for you then also try creating subscription plan for another access level setting that for the option "Default subscription for registered users" on the following path.

Admin Area -> Membership -> Options -> General Tab -> Default subscription for registered users

Kind Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• ithackermike

Thanks for your response Vinod. Yes that is exactly what i did. I created an access rule called "Public" then set that as the access level for strangers. Additionally I created a negative rule that restricted one page. I thought that should do it. A non-logged in visitor can see all pages except the one specified.

The problem is logged-in users were unable to see it as well. So, I cloned the Public access level and removed the negative rule. Then added a test member to the new access level and only then was that account able to see the page.

I'm looking for a configuration that grants access to pages based on logged in or not logged in status and not an explicit assignment to a access level.

• Vinod Dalvi

Have you tried creating just only one access level having negative rule that restricts one page and setting that level for strangers?

Would you mind if I logged in to your site and did some testing? This might help get to the bottom of this faster. If this is ok, just grant me temporary admin access to your site by clicking "Grant Access" button in the WPMU DEV Dashboard Settings from the following path and reply on this thread after granting it?

Admin -> WPMU DEV -> Support -> Support Access Tab

• ithackermike

Have you tried creating just only one access level having negative rule that restricts one page and setting that level for strangers?

Yes. That was what I meant in my second sentence above. My Public access level is wide open except for the one negative rule that restricts access to a single page that I only want logged in users to see. Also the Public access level is the one indicated for Strangers.

And thanks for your offer to login to my site but unfortunately this is a production site with 1700+ users and sensitive information. So im unable yo grant you access.

I cant help but think that a plugin that is this well made should be able to provide a simple way to require a user to be logged in to see a page.

Thanks again for your help.

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi @ithackermike,

I can understand the security concern but it's working for me on my test site using the same settings i have told you so i have to find out what's wrong with your site.

Which version of Membership plugin and WordPress are you using?

Have you set the Membership Pages from the following path?

Admin Area -> Membership -> Options -> Membership Pages

Please share me the site link if it is not this circlechristiandev.com and the page link that you want to restrict.

Make sure you are testing it when you are not logged in.

Please share me the screenshots of your Membership Access Level Settings and General settings so that i can troubleshoot it.

Regards,
            Vinod Dalvi

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.