Looking to clarify additional Directory features

We are considering migrating our business directory away from a stand-alone theme and into the main site, powered by Directory. A couple of features we added that we would like to transition over, would include:

Hiding main contact info initially behind a "click to display" option or some other method, as it feels like or only way to track views/results?

Incorporating some kind of "slider" or carousel to rotate images or logos for featured listings on home or category pages? Should be able to do that via visual composer and or Newspaper theme.

Charge extra for listings with certain add-ons like "featured "

Customize a listing page (with visual composer? ) to add a video, social icons, etc.?
Import our existing categories and listings so we have to re-enter?

Would appreciate a quick view of our main site at http://www.VenturaClassifieds.com/ vs. our subsite at http://www.VenturaClassifieds.com/directory

Our primary motivation to move would be allowing users of main site to seamlessly navigate directory and for directory listings to be searchable from main site. Really looks like it will work and we'd be very comfortable using another reliable WPMUDev plugin.

Looking forward to any feedback!

Thanks!

• Jude

Howdy @Ray Scarpa

Hiding main contact info initially behind a "click to display" option or some other method, as it feels like or only way to track views/results?

I mean with today's analytics there are several options for this but what you want can be done. Simply add some CSS / JS to the page should give you this effect

Incorporating some kind of "slider" or carousel to rotate images or logos for featured listings on home or category pages?

Again several ways of doing this, take a look below.

premium.wpmudev.org/blog/7-best-free-wordpress-slider-plugins/

Also your other questions

1) Yes you can customize the listing page using fields
    2) You can use the WP importer to move everything over ( no need to type )
    3) Im not sure about compatibility with Visual Composer but you can give it a try.

I took a look at the site and it looks cool. Anything specific you want me to look at ?

Cheers
    Jude

• Ray Scarpa

Thanks for taking the time to review. Installed and did basic setup so a few more questions:

Are we able to set up packages to charge customers, like listings are 9.95 per month and they receive certain info displayed, 19.95 per month and they get video, etc.?

Not entirely clear about moving listings/categories over using "WP importer" as mentioned. Is that a specific plugin or the WordPress standard import tool? We have WP Ultimate CSV Importer installed, but that is asking us to map certain fields from an import CSV to existing fields in our site. Which fields are created by Directory that we would map them to?

Are there additional views, on the main directory page and category pages, like Grid View, etc.? (similar to http://www.venturaclassifieds.com/directory)

We must be doing it wrong, as our listing page doesn't look anything like the sample. Also, our actual listing text is appear well below the "Contact User" form (User?) instead of next to the logo. See: http://www.venturaclassifieds.com/listing/longevity-athletics/

Can we have multiple images in each listing?

Looking at the /listings page, they don't seem to sort by category or have any category designation to them.

Where would I find the main directory page?

Sorry for so many questions. Just trying to see if this is going to work before we get too far into customization.

Thanks!

• Jude

Hey Ray

1) Yes you can setup monthly payments for your site
    2) You can use Ultimate CSV Importer, can you give me a screenshot of the options ? Im not sure why you need to map fields when you are moving from the same plugin.

3) You can have multiple images inline like a regular post. Only one of them will appear in tag and category pages.

4) You need to explicitly set the categor for it to appear. See my screenshot on where to do it

5) Main page can be found in

http://mysite.com/listing

Unless you have setup rewrites to set the page elsewhere

No problems about the questions. Im paid to help you out. Please get in touch for clarifications.

Cheers
    Jude

• Ray Scarpa

Thanks so much for the reply. Would appreciate a few clarifications:

1) Yes you can setup monthly payments for your site

I did notice that, but more specifically wondering about pricing plans and package options. I see only one option in Recurring Payments (or One-time Payments) which simply references "Cost of Service" as if there is only one service (monthly fee). Can certain listings/categories be free? Can we set up multiple tiers or levels, like Premium or Standard so some listings get video, social media links, etc., while others get different features and are charged differently? Or is this basically just free vs. paid with no options like that? Under "Payment Gateways" tab, it looks like we can only choose one type or the other (Free or PayPal or AuthorizeNet).

2) You can use Ultimate CSV Importer, can you give me a screenshot of the options ? Im not sure why you need to map fields when you are moving from the same plugin.

We're not moving from the same plugin. We're currently using the Vantage theme (www.VenturaClassifieds.com/directory) and can export those listings in a CSV, trying to figure out the best way to import categories, subcategories and listings (including images/logos). Screen shot attached from Ultimate CSV, but the bigger issue is how to map? Each field from the incoming CSV needs to be mapped to a target field in the existing WordPress site. How do we know which fields are "Directory" fields?

3) You can have multiple images inline like a regular post. Only one of them will appear in tag and category pages.

So if this is structured as a post, it's really not applying any styling at all to make it look like a directory, right? As I mentioned, "our actual listing text is appear well below the "Contact User" form (User?) instead of next to the logo. See: http://www.venturaclassifieds.com/listing/longevity-athletics/" Are we supposed to design a template for a listing or can we modify one you've created? Right now it's just looking like a basic post, not a directory listing.

4) You need to explicitly set the category for it to appear. See my screenshot on where to do it.

So do I need to set up all categories in advance in order for them to appear in the listing form? Seems odd that we wouldn't be able to set up a new category as we're adding a listing? Will categories be able to be imported as well?

Really appreciate your time!

• Ray Scarpa

Sorry, forgot the screenshot. BTW the area there called "WP FIELDS" has a complte list of fields we can choose from to map. They are called all kinds of things, most of the custom fields lead with a "CF_" and others are easy to recognize (like Coupon-related fields that start with a "cctor_coupon_category":wink:. That's why we're asking how to identify which fields will be "Directory-related."

Thanks!

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Ray Scarpa, jumping in for Jude here. :slight_smile:

#1: At the moment, it'd be paid vs. free, as you mentioned earlier, though the idea of there being payment levels (& features associated with each level) would definitely be something to open a feature request for:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/forum/feature-suggestions#question

#2:

Each field from the incoming CSV needs to be mapped to a target field in the existing WordPress site. How do we know which fields are "Directory" fields?

Inside of:

CustomPress -> Content Types -> Custom Fields

You'll be able to see which custom fields are specific to Directory by looking at the "Post Types" column there. You can then look to the "Field ID" for that specific field, and reference that when it comes to mapping a field.

You'll also see the listing_category & listing_tag entries as well, those are specific to Directory. :slight_smile:

#3: You could modify the one we've created, it's located in:

/plugins/directory/ui-front/general/single-listing.php

#4:

So do I need to set up all categories in advance in order for them to appear in the listing form?

Yep, that's right. :slight_smile:

Will categories be able to be imported as well?

This'd be something possible with the Pro version of Ultimate CSV Importer. :slight_smile:

Hope this helps!

Kind Regards,
    Michael

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.