Looks like Posts are being placed in Footer Container

Hi Folks,

It’s been a while, which I reckon is a very good thing. :slight_smile:

I’ve just updated my lovely BP Scholar Template to to Version 4.2.8. (Please Note: I have had the Child Theme in place for over 2 years and therein may lie a/the problem?)

Everything seems fine except for my blog posts. It seems that they are being placed in the Footer Container – You can have a look – here.

This same issue was occurring with some pages, but I just changed them from the ‘Default’ Template to ‘Full Width’. But I can’t (i.e. don’t know/remember how to) do that with Posts.

I’ve played around with things in the Child Theme (e.g. the folder structure has changed for Sidebars), but when I moved things around, stuff broke. So I put it back.

Bottom line is that I would just like my Posts to look like they should…instead of looking like part of the footer. :slight_smile:

Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Stephen G

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

Hey Stephen,

Welcome back!

When you update the theme, you are supposed to update the child theme as well. All your custom css is supposed to go into bp-scholar-child_inccsschild.css

So when you update your child theme, make sure child.css isn’t over written (maybe take a backup of the entire child theme first?)

The page looks bad and lets fix this asap. Can you please update the child theme and let me know right away? Take a backup of the child theme before you do that.

• train4lifewpmu
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Ok Arun…I’m back.

That’s fixed the Blog layout problem.

Now I’ve gotta go back and do all the other code adjustments again. Oh well!

I thought the idea with a child theme was that we didn’t have to keep re-doing edits when the theme is updated? Or does that only apply to the <child.css> file? :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers

Stephen G

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

Hey Stephen,

Glad its fixed, it looks good.

I agree to your concern, the idea of a child theme is that you can do whatever customization you want and forget about loosing them over the updates of the parent theme. Unfortunately here we see that only over child.css. (I am curious about this as well, I will pass this as a suggestion to our designers)

I see that spotlight thing. Yes.

I think you have to go into your Appearance > Theme Options and choose a category for the Latest News section. See the screenshot attached.

Let me know how that goes :slight_smile:

• train4lifewpmu

Hi Arun,

Re: suggestion to designers – Yep! Thanks. Good idea.

Re: Spotlight – It’s already set. Has been all along. It just seems that the new <home.php> has 3 columns instead of 2. I’m trying to modify my new <home.php> to match my old one that I had in my child-theme folder.

There are a whole lot of changes including some structural. E.g. The sidebar files are no longer in a folder of their own. They are now in the root of the main theme folder.

Crap! I’m going to have to go back to the beginning.

Thanks for you help Arun.

Cheers

Stephen G

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

oopsie,

I have sent that note to our designers, I wonder if there is any reason for this.

I have no idea how the old site used to look, but I hope you made a backup copy of the child theme before updating.

You can always go back to the old version if you are not happy with the new. You can download the old versions of the parent theme from here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/buddypress-scholar-theme/download

Sorry for the trouble, but if you get stuck, let me know and I can try and help :slight_smile:

• train4lifewpmu

Hi Arun,

Yep! I took a backup of the old Child Theme…but because the pages have changed so much, I either put the old Child Theme back (which will reck my Blog Posts), or I start again with the edits.

Bit of a catch 22 really.

Anyway, at least the site is still working. I can worry about the cosmetics in due course.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers

Stephen G

• train4lifewpmu

Hi Arun,

Just to let you know…I put the old Child Theme back. Having ugly blog pages is one issue…but the new Child Theme had heaps of issues…not the least of which is that flamin’ Spotlight thing which can’t be turned-off.

Oh well. I’ll play around and see if I can make a new template for the blog posts.

Thanks again.

Stephen G

• train4lifewpmu

Hi Again :slight_smile:

Just in case it helps anyone else, this is what I did to fix my blog posts, which were being placed in my Footer.

It’s probably a pretty nasty hack but here goes:

I copied <single.php> from my BP Scholar Parent folder to my Child Folder, then on ‘Line 3’ I changed this:

<div id="content">

to this:`

<div id="content full width">.

Simple when you find it ey? :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers

Stephen G

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.