Lost localization after upate

Hi,

I just updated Q&A plugin to version 1.1.7 and suddenly my localization was lost. My localized files were inside the plugin folder. Is this wrong? Where should I store them to make sure they're not deleted during updates?

Update: I already tried copying the qa-pt_PT.mo and qa-pt_PT.po files to /wp-content/languages and still get the pages in english...

Thanks in advance,
Nuno

Kimberly

Hi again Seems there is a duplicate here!

Here is an excerpt from the Wordpress Codex on translations:

In order to localize your installation of wordpress, create a directory named languages inside of wp-includes, if it does not already exist. Then grab the appropriate localization files from the Subversion Repository as described above. The main .mo file and the continent .mo file for the language should go inside the languages directory. Set WPLANG inside of wp-config.php to your chosen language. For example, if you wanted to use french, you would have:

define ('WPLANG', 'fr_FR');

I've addressed your ticket here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/missing-localizations

So I'll close this one and we can continue on the other so that we don't get confused

nununo

Hi Kimberly,

Actually I don't think they are duplicates. This is an entirely different problem than the other.

I usually place my .mo and .po files under wp-content/languages. But I tried to put the Q&A plugin localization files (qa-pt_PT.mo and qa-pt_PT.po) and they are not used.

If I put them under /wp-content/plugins/qa/languages then they are used and my pages show up in portuguese.

Well, the problem is that when the plugin is upgraded... that folder is overwritten by the new version and whatever files were there... are deleted. That's what happened to me when I upgraded a couple of days ago.

So I only have two possible solutions:

1. find another folder outside /wp-content/plugins/qa in recognized by WP as a place for languages files;
    2. ask you to add the portuguese language to your installation files

The second option is probably not gonna work since I have some specific translations (namely: I use informal language which probably other portuguese sites will not want to use). So I would like to learn where I can put the files so that they are not overwritten by updates and still are recognized and used by WP.

Thanks in advance,
    Nuno

aecnu

Greetings Nuno,

Sorry to hear that you translation files got whacked with the last update.

In the reply to your last ticket I had mentioned this possibility and a way to work around it.

Furthermore, seeing that many of the plugins offer a language file within a sub folder of the plugin called languages, I am curious to know if just creating the folder and adding your translations files will cure the idea of where to place them, though I will still permission them 444 read only.

Please let me know if this idea works for you

Cheers, Joe

aecnu

Greetings Nuno,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe

nununo

Hi,

Actually I was about to upgrade to 1.1.9 having just set the permissions to read only.

But in the plugin page it doesn't give me an option upgrade QA any longer. Also the WPMU DEV Dashboard reports that I have no plugins installed and when on "Update" I press "refresh" I get this message: "There was a problem refreshing data from WPMU DEV."

There must be a problem but I don't understand which.

Can you help me?

Nuno

aecnu

Greetings Nuno,

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble updating using the new WPMU Dev Dashboard.

It seems as though it is possibly corrupted.

Could you please FTP the newest version of the WPMU Dev Dashboard plugin to your WordPress installation and advise if you are still having issues with it?

Also while you are there, just in case to be safe rather then sorry, FTP Download your Q&A plugin folder further preserving your custom localizations long enough for your Q&A update to take place and to be sure that you have them.

Please advise how it goes.

Cheers, Joe

aecnu

Greetings Nuno,

Just checking if this issue was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, no need to reply, that's great news.

If not, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe