Lots of Facebook Spam

HI,

There lots of facebook spam that even looks like facebook users’ personal conversations coming in. Is there a reason for this?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings jnwobu,

Just from your brief symptoms offered in your post I would guess that it is coming from the Facebook stream of course.

What precautions or plugins do you have working to prevent comment spam?

Please advise.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Member!

Cheers, Joe

• Jay
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I’m really hesitant to add another spam plugin. Akismet is pretty good. I’m also a bit concerned about how these facebook conversations are entering my blog. They are pretty personal, and some of the people I know. It seems like a bit of a security issue don’t you think? What are your thoughts. Anything I should check/uncheck?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Jay,

I agree with you 100% with the fact that what seems to be a spamming issue can be truly annoying.

You had mentioned that some of these comments are coming from conversations of people you know, and the way it works I think from some of the people they know and interact with.

It seems like a bit of a security issue don’t you think? What are your thoughts.

I am not sure if you want to know the answer to this, because when folks ask me this kind of a question I really do tell what I think is the truth, usually the last thing they want to face, and then I am briefly in trouble with the Boss. So therefore I decline to offer my opinion on the basis it might offend another member.

Anything I should check/uncheck?

Sure, simply click deactivate for the plugin :wink: Seriously though I do not have any further suggestions of how to curtail the addition of comments of those whom are related to your Facebook profile.

However, I will ask the developer if he knows of something that may help other then what I have already offered.

This may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, but I will see if I can get him in here with his advice on this subject asap.

Cheers, Joe

Dev Note: It appears this member is getting a little more comments then they would prefer, any tips on how to slow some of them down or choose them more specifically?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Jay,

Just touching base with you to let you know that we have not forgotten about you or this issue and we are still on hold waiting developer input in which I hope we can get this extremely busy lead developer in here with some advice/input sooner rather then later.

Cheers, Joe

• paidinstyle
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

are you using ULTIMATE FACEBOOK plugin ?

there is a part in configurations where you may import comments of users who grated extended permissions when they where resisting or one click login via facebook connect buttons,etc….

i may be off the topic on this one so do excuse me please,just an FYI….

Robert….

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Jay,

Just checking if this issue was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, no need to reply, that’s great news.

If not, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the ‘Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)’ box below the post area (or else we’ll miss it!)

Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.