Lots of WP_DEBUG messages from Events+ and Google Maps plugins

On an Events+ single event page, I see these WP_DEBUG messages:

above the content:

Strict Standards: Only variables should be passed by reference in /wp-content/plugins/events-and-bookings/events-and-bookings.php on line 695

Strict Standards: Non-static method Eab_Template::get_root_url() should not be called statically in /wp-content/plugins/events-and-bookings/lib/class_eab_template.php on line 352

Notice: WP_User->id was called with an argument that is deprecated since version 2.1! Use WP_User->ID instead. in /wp-includes/functions.php on line 3495

Strict Standards: Non-static method Eab_EventsHub::tablename() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /wp-content/plugins/events-and-bookings/lib/class_eab_event_model.php on line 1012

Notice: WP_User->id was called with an argument that is deprecated since version 2.1! Use WP_User->ID instead. in /wp-includes/functions.php on line 3495

Strict Standards: Non-static method Eab_EventsHub::tablename() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /wp-content/plugins/events-and-bookings/lib/class_eab_event_model.php on line 1044

Strict Standards: Non-static method Eab_EventsHub::tablename() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /wp-content/plugins/events-and-bookings/lib/class_eab_event_model.php on line 925

Strict Standards: Non-static method Eab_Template::get_root_url() should not be called statically in /wp-content/plugins/events-and-bookings/lib/class_eab_template.php on line 352

Strict Standards: Non-static method Eab_EventsHub::tablename() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /wp-content/plugins/events-and-bookings/lib/class_eab_event_model.php on line 1012

Strict Standards: Non-static method Eab_EventsHub::tablename() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /wp-content/plugins/events-and-bookings/lib/class_eab_event_model.php on line 1044

Strict Standards: Non-static method Eab_EventsHub::tablename() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /wp-content/plugins/events-and-bookings/lib/class_eab_event_model.php on line 925

within the post content:

On the Events Archive page, I see these messages above the content:

Strict Standards: Only variables should be passed by reference in /Users/cmp/Documents/Websites/bo.dev/wp-content/plugins/events-and-bookings/events-and-bookings.php on line 625

Strict Standards: Only variables should be passed by reference in /wp-content/plugins/events-and-bookings/events-and-bookings.php on line 625

On a separate Page with the [eab_events_map] shortcode in use, I see this WP_DEBUG message:

Notice: Undefined index: paged in /wp-content/plugins/events-and-bookings/lib/class_eab_codec.php on line 116

• Clifford P

Messages at the Events+ wp-admin settings page:

Notice: Undefined index: access_token in /wp-content/plugins/events-and-bookings/lib/class_wd_wpmu_oauth.php on line 311

Notice: Undefined index: expires_in in /wp-content/plugins/events-and-bookings/lib/class_wd_wpmu_oauth.php on line 312

Notice: Undefined index: time in /wp-content/plugins/events-and-bookings/lib/class_wd_wpmu_oauth.php on line 313

• Patrick

Hi there @Clifford P

I hope you're well today!

Those messages and notices are quite common and are nothing to worry about. You can easily get rid of 'em by setting WP_DEBUG to false in your wp-config.php file.

That really should only be set to true if you are actively looking for something wrong on your site, then set back to false once you find it.

It should not be set to true on a live site because you will get stuff popping up on your site now and then.

I hope this helps! And thanks for being a member

• Clifford P

Patrick, that's the worst possible reply... I hope it's not Incsub's official position that WP_DEBUG messages are par for the course. They're never OK as in "we don't care and they won't get fixed," but yes I understand some of the STRICT messages are less worrisome.

Before releasing an update to production software, it should be checked with WP_DEBUG and all messages resolved. It's called "WordPress Debug" -- as in, if it shows a message, it's a bug.

Anyway, soapbox over.

Are you sure Incsub is A-OK with loads of WP_DEBUG messages?

P.S. Yes, I'm building/testing a site and I am fully worried at the sheer number of messages and also at some of them being deprecated since WP v2.1 (LONG time ago) and at the "don't worry about it, close your eyes and they'll go away" response.

• Ivan

Hey there Clifford.

Thanks so much for your patience on this, we deal with an inordinately large number of support threads.

As you can see from the debug logs you posted -

This one that was deprecated in version 2.1 is actually in the WordPress core - not in our plugins.

The debug logs don't always output correct information - in fact what I am seeing on line 3495 in /wp-includes/functions.php have nothing to do with WP_User, it is actually output for the debug log.

Our developers are fully aware of how to use wp_debug and checking these errors, and when this errors actually mean something, and when they should be ignored.

The best way(for me) to use wp_debug is to use the option to save to a file.

To do this, you will need to open the file wp-config.php located in the directory where WordPress is installed and then locate the line with the code
    define('WP_DEBUG', false);
    and change it to

define('WP_DEBUG', true);
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);
    define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);

That will save the log in a file called debug.log and located in your
    wp-content directory.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Ivan

• sergio

Hello Superheroes,

I am testing the Events+ Plugins, and came up with similar same / behaviors.

So I wanted to know the outcome for your conversation: Is it really ok to just ignore these messages and deactivate wp-debug to solve this?

I'm a bit worried 'cause I'm not (yet) too much of a coder, and I plan to use Events+ as a base element for the templates I'm building, therefore I would not want to end-up replicating an issue over and over on the sites I design

Thanks and Cheers!